Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like Tree7Likes

TV Offerings : Festive Period

This is a discussion on TV Offerings : Festive Period within the Entertainment forums, part of the Community channel category; Gave "Dickensian" and "And then there were none" a go but finished up deleting the series links after being bored ...

jrfer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rushden
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: TV Offerings : Festive Period

Gave "Dickensian" and "And then there were none" a go but finished up deleting the series links after being bored for 20 minutes

I will try "War and Peace" but expect the same will happen.

2. Advertisement
      wizard200 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gatwick
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max + Sky Talk
      Router: SkyQ Hub SR203UK + SkyQ Booster EE120
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2Tb + mini
      Thanks

Hello All
      Due to the Poor Weather (It has been Raining all Morning) & it seems to be with us for the Day.
      We seem to have little choice then some serious TV viewing : But when you look down the
      schedules unless I have missed something it appears to be Repeats upon Repeats.........

As other Members have posted it is utter Dross : I have the Family Pack which at Present
      costs 36.00 for a vast number of channels that I and nobody I am aware of ever Watches
      but the channels we do watch seem to follow the rule of what you watch today you can
      watch the same again tomorrow : Thank God for catch up / Box Sets.
      I think that after this 'Long Holiday Break' we really must look into our viewing habits & make a decision for the future Wizards Household TV requirements.
      As regards to SkyQ I believe this will be just a more costly version of the same & Why would I have a need to record 3/4 channels while watching another repeat.

I apologise for a rerun of this subject but it really annoys Me.........

Just a Thought....& Its still Bloody Raining...!!!!

jrfer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rushden
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Another episode of Sherlock with a script written by Moffit & Co seemingly while their heads, as usual, were firmly lodged way up where the Sun never shines.

Luther was annoyingly nonsensical

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

I finally caught up with The Game of Thrones last night having recorded the last series but always too busy to sit down and watch it since. It was good.

Today I've had a variety of other things on which I had recorded and at the moment I've got '8 out of 10 Cats' on. Ok not to everyone's taste and admittedly a lot is dribble which is why I'm able to catch up with the forums. Actually scrap that, I've got to the point which I watched when it was broadcast so I've just deleted the recording.

Yes the main channels do tend to repeat content at a variety of different times during the week. That is how they've always worked. With the addition of the '+', CUTV and OD features, there is perhaps less incentive to repeat it quite as much on the live broadcasts, but for now that is the case.

On the positive side, a lot of people love to re-watch old series such as The Sopranos, West Wing, Stella and The Office. As the quality is all nice and clear and not full of fuzzy holes like you used to get with analogue broadcasts and VCR recordings, I guess that we've become spoilt.

Last night I also watched The Railway Man on DVD. Apart from trying to watch a DVD on a 55" HD TV, the film was really good. I've been wanting to watch it for a while but Sky have only every had it in the Sky Store.

There is a huge amount of content available from Sky if your STB is connected to the Internet. It really depends on what your interest is I guess.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

wizard200 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gatwick
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max + Sky Talk
      Router: SkyQ Hub SR203UK + SkyQ Booster EE120
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2Tb + mini
      Thanks

Hello All
      I must admit that many people including Myself quite enjoy watching Old series again
      but only Once or twice not over & over again....!! which many of the channels seem
      set on supplying.
      Enjoyed watching Iron Man 3 on BBC1 tonight & the Dark Knight ......but not much else
      Now waiting for MOD to see West Ham beat Liverpool 2-0 Great Result.
      I must admit I am hoping things will improve in 2016 as I do enjoy Discovery / Nat Geo
      channels : 'Fast n Loud' & the ' Wild Series'
      I would like to See Sky revamp the channel Packs to make it more a 'Pick n Mix' but I am
      sure Mr Darroch will not let that Happen as his Mission is to Screw as much Money from
      the customer base as possible, Witness the Talk Pack increases this Month for basically
      the same service ........!!!
      I know We have the 'Catch up & Box Sets service which helps offset some of the poor
      programmes but not everybody has that option.....I suppose We can only wait & See
      what happens when SkyQ launches & then make our decision based on Need & Cost.

Just a Thought.............

Thanks

Most of the smaller channels do tend to repeat things over and over again, especially during the day when the figures are at their lowest. Again this is how it has always been for the satellite channels.

I think that in the next few years we'll see further changes to the way that the UK's TV is handled.

I seriously can't see the BBC keeping the TV License fee in its current form.

Whilst the BBC may be responsible for delivering some excellent content, the way it handles it's finances is very bad. There are many political mistakes it has made, although not as bad as the one which killed Thames TV, and I think that the writing has been on the wall for too long now.

The BBC needs to move to a subscription model.

All Freeview TVs come with the Common Interface connection, so it is possible for them all to support a suitable subscription service. I'm not so sure about the Freeview STBs though. Many of the original ones didn't have suitable interfaces and the cheap ones certainly don't.

Sky Q isn't going to have any unique content when it is launched. Later on, when 4K broadcasts start, the Sky Q Silver box will allow you to watch the 4K UHD content, but I would guess that it will be handled in a similar way to how HD and 3D content was originally delivered at first.

The real difference will come to how you find the things that you are most interested in and how you can then start watching in once place and continue elsewhere, should that be what you want to do.

The GUI is very different to how the Sky+ HD works. I would suggest that it is designed for a HD TV, rather than a 12" SD TV. I'm sure that you'll see a lot more images once it is launched, but it is very different.

Cost is something that we are all waiting to here about. At this time I really can't say as no one who knows is saying anything. There are rumours circulating of different models, but ultimately they are as much baiting the competition as they are testing to see what people think.

I would hope that there won't be a HD subscription. I believe it should be included. I can see them charging extra for 4K once it is launched. Sky did for both HD and 3D.

I can see them charging extra for the Sky Q Minis, even though VM doesn't charge for the extra STBs.

I'm unsure whether they'll charge for the use of the Sky Q app and I would expect Sky Q customers to still have access to all the other Sky apps, including Sky Go and the Sky Movies apps.

Another thing which I am hoping for would be the ability to transfer recordings from one STB to another. Whether this will be the case or how it is handled I can't say.

Finally there has been rumours of Sky using a Cloud service for your recordings. Now if this were the case, would they charge you for going over a certain limit?

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 21.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Hundreds of channels... nothing to watch. The US has had this problem for years.

We had saved 'The Bridge' last six episodes for Boxing day, and I'm so glad we did, best thing we watched over the break even if it was sub-titled.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT-Fibre-900
      Router: opnSense-I78550-Fanless
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

Cut the cord people, unless enough people do, they will never stop spoon feeding you this same over-priced dross over and over again. TV needs to learn the same lessons that the music industry have (almost) learned. Customer is king, you want my money? Provide me with the service I want at a reasonable price. The days of holding an audience to ransom are fast becoming a distant memory, even for the technophobes.
      jrfer and marjohn56 like this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coipu View Post
      The days of holding an audience to ransom are fast becoming a distant memory, even for the technophobes.
      Yet Big Brother, I'm a Celebrity, X-Factor, Strictly and The Voice seem to draw in millions of viewers every time.

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 21.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Elvis, Rod Stewart and the Beatles in the official Album top 20...

Hmmm.. Repeats there too it seems.
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast