Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree1Likes

BBC licence fee replacement gets backing from culture secretary

This is a discussion on BBC licence fee replacement gets backing from culture secretary within the Entertainment forums, part of the Community channel category; Sorry but they should do away with the licence altogether. In today's world we should be able to pick and ...

sdd
      sdd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01268
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: BBC licence fee replacement gets backing from culture secretary

Sorry but they should do away with the licence altogether.
      In today's world we should be able to pick and choose what channels we want just like you do with Sky,BT,Virginmedia
      Why should i have to pay£100 a month to sky and still have to pay BBC £145 a year for something i don't really want.
      Let the BBC go on a subscription base just like SKY it would be much fairer and the general public wouldn't be tucked up.
      The BBC have been wasting the public's money for years.
      As for this new scheme we will all end up paying double or treble the amount we are paying now.

Nobody is Perfect.....I am Nobody....Therefore I am Perfect

2. Advertisement
      marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 21.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

I'm not disagreeing with you, you are 110% correct, and it goes back to what I said about radio stations too numerous to mention. If we do go down the road of funding the BBC by direct taxation then they should face the same knife as council and government departments. The BBC needs to get back to its core values.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by marjohn56
      The BBC needs to get back to its core values.
      Too right!

The problem is that fighting for survival in a jungle amongst the likes of sky, vm, bt etc (all of which have no core values) is like taking on Mike Tyson with one hand tied behind your back.

It's the jungle i detest.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

But what core values and are they relevant anymore?

We do not watch much BBC tv and never listen to any BBC radio. Perhaps watch a few quiz shows, which the Beeb do well and a few cooking shows like masterchef. We did used to be avid watchers of Eastenders, but given up on that now. Oh and cannot forget Doctor Who, which I've watched from the very beginning. Rarely watch the news on BBC, its all sky, nhk, cnn, fox, and bloomberg etc for us.
      Finding we do not use the BBC website for news and sport as we used too (even though I am a 3rdparty to their app dev process for some apps), there is so much better, attuned, relevant and customisable content out there for us.
      Use to listen to the local BBC radio and watch local tv years ago, but that is just awful now. We do listen to some radio, but its talksport, not any BBC. Any music radio has vanished for us as we use spotify, google play, apple music and buy/borrow many audiobooks to listen too etc.
      As we love sport, the bbc obviously fails miserably, except for the big events like the olympics and for that event they do a great job.
      Do find the BBC though is still stuck in the past with its sport coverage being just dull and stuck in the old grandstand era from the 1970s that I remember well. We have moved on from that. They should have a sponsored and/or subscription sports channel.
      I feel the bbc wastes too much on all these mini projects like iWonder that for us are irrelevant.

The BBC iPlayer though is well designed and one of the better things to come out of the Beeb for years. Do like the idea of pulling in the other terrestrial and other broadcasting into it as was proposed in the report last week.

As for this tax method, not liking that at all, would rather have what we have now than that.
      The BBC should though get a lot more commercial, they have a lot of archive material they could easily offer or bring out of their dungeons via a subscription model.

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 21.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

I have pulled the following from wiki...

The most recent Charter was granted to the BBC on 19 September 2006. It took full effect from 1 January 2007 and runs until 31 December 2016[1]

• A redefinition of the BBC's "public services" (which are considered its prime function):
        • Sustaining citizenship and civil society;
        • Promoting education and learning;
        • Stimulating creativity and cultural excellence;
        • Representing the UK, its nations, regions and communities;
        • Bringing the UK to the world and the world to the UK;
        • Helping to deliver to the public the benefit of emerging communications technologies and services, and taking a leading role in the switchover to digital television.

• The BBC must display at least one of the following characteristics in all content: high quality, originality, innovation, to be challenging and to be engaging.
      • The BBC must demonstrate that it provides public value in all of its major activities.

I have removed the putty regarding the Trust and board of governers as that is not relevent to this thread, however the BBC's "public services" is. Now we argue that the final item in that list is where the BBC falls down, the key item there though is 'major'. It does not fall down in its major activities, it falls down in some of the minor activities it has got involved in, such as Scubbies annoyance with numerous BBC news crews at one scene.

I have read the comments, such as 'we don't listen to BBC radio', really? Not used a BBC radio channel in the last twelve months? What about when driving? I have DAB in the car which allows me to listen to other stations and I do, but that does not work everywhere sadly, so I resort to FM or MW, usually 5Live I admit or 5SX for the cricket.

When I worked abroad fulltime, many years ago now sadly, one of the things that kept me sane was the phrase 'This is the BBC World service'. I have been fortunate to travel a lot, and let me say this country has the best TV and Radio in the world, I am always glad to get back to it, other things not so, but TV and radio... way out in front.

Do I mind paying the licence fee... no,

Would I like to pay less... yes, wouldn't everyone.

Do I think the BBC provide a worthwhile service for the benefit of ALL? ... Yes, if you look at the overall picture.

If they change it to being a money making excerise then we will all regret it in the long run.

Now, time to get off my soapbox and go and do the weekly shop.
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

wizard200 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gatwick
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max + Sky Talk
      Router: SkyQ Hub SR203UK + SkyQ Booster EE120
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2Tb + mini
      Thanks

Hello All
      I must admit that for a lot of people who maybe never watch or listen to any bbc output
      feel that they should not need to pay the licence fee which is fair enough.
      But I would say that in terms of value the £145 gives more than any other broadcaster
      although I have had Sky since the launch of digital I am not sure that the Family Packs :
      many channels I & many more like Me never have & never will watch but still pay for !!
      I always watch the bbc 'News Channel' & listen to an awful lot of radio & find the bbc
      website & iplayer very useful for downloads : So I think it would be a great shame if the
      bbc was downgraded to a bit player : Alright it would be great if you offload some of the
      Bigwigs with excessive Wages of which there are Many still in the bbc.
      Also sky could go a long way towards better value for money : I discount VM having tried
      once & never again !! Have not tried 'netflix or 'Amazon Prime' but maybe in the future.

Just a Thought..........

Have a Great Weekend 'off for a Beer or Maybe Two !!!!!

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Here's a novel idea from my favourite philosopher Alain De Botton.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      Here's a novel idea from my favourite philosopher Alain De Botton.
      Id say that the two biggest watched shows in the UK, Eastenders and Corrie handle all those subjects well and provide links at the end of the their programmes for help and advice.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      Id say that the two biggest watched shows in the UK, Eastenders and Corrie handle all those subjects well and provide links at the end of the their programmes for help and advice.
      Hmm, those soaps certainly tackle certain subjects on a regular basis.

Knowing Alain's style though, i'd say it's a drop in the ocean compared to the level he has in mind.

sdd
      sdd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01268
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Has it's the general public that pay for the bbc then surely it should be the general public that has the last say what happens to the bbc like have a vote whether to keep it or let it go.
      I for one would let it go
      1, because i only watch one bbc program now and then and it ain't Eastenders can't stand the program got enough stuff going on in my own life without watching that.
      2, don't listen to any bbc radio.
      I listen to BSFS Radio its the forces radio and it's really good they play new and old music so something for everyone.
      So from my point view it would be goodbye BBC Hello i have £145 extra this year in my pocket.
      But we won't win because even if they did away with the BBC the government will still bring something in to get that money back like a licence for a TV whether you have one or not. LOL

Nobody is Perfect.....I am Nobody....Therefore I am Perfect

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12