Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

UK TV risks being 'knocked off its perch' unless it improves diversity, says peer

This is a discussion on UK TV risks being 'knocked off its perch' unless it improves diversity, says peer within the Entertainment forums, part of the Community channel category; UK TV risks being 'knocked off its perch' unless it improves diversity, says peer | Media | The Guardian Former ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

UK TV risks being 'knocked off its perch' unless it improves diversity, says peer

UK TV risks being 'knocked off its perch' unless it improves diversity, says peer | Media | The Guardian
      Former Paralympian Lord Holmes says diversity ‘remains a stubborn stain on the industry’s reputation’ as he launches guidelines backed by DCMS and EHRC

British broadcasting risks being “knocked off its perch as a world leader” unless it improves diversity and ends the “culture of clone recruitment”, according to former Paralympian Lord Holmes.

Television must stop “the revolving door of appointments of people who look the same, think the same and went to the same schools and universities,” said Holmes as he launched new guidance to help encourage more diversity.

He maintained that the issue “remains a stubborn stain on the industry’s reputation” and said that “until progress is actually delivered, the perception that TV is still dominated by a ‘luvvie’ mafia dominated by white, middle class men will remain.”

Holmes unveiled a new set of guidelines backed by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport and the Equality and Human Rights Commission which is aimed at busting the myths for the creative industries about what they can do to promote diversity.

Since Lenny Henry’s speech last year in which he called on the industry to improve the number of black, Asian and ethnic minority people working in it, broadcasters have been trying to find ways of changing the status quo.

Some companies have been unsure about what they can lawfully do.

The guide, called Thinking Outside the Box outlines some basic principles of equality law including showing them how they can use databases containing people’s personal details such as race, disability and gender.

Holmes said: “During my time at Locog, running the 2012 Paralympics, we made huge strides in increasing the diversity of people working on the games and all the associated jobs around the event – including broadcasting – where Channel 4’s coverage led the way. There’s no reason why one creative industry can do this while another makes excuses.

“So I welcome the clear targets and action plans put forward, but I don’t want this to be just another diversity initiative which falls by the wayside.”

Holmes added: “This is not about political correctness, it is about competitive edge. Drawing on the best talents across all communities will lead to better, richer and more innovative TV programmes. This is important, not only so that the industry can attract the best talent, but also because of the unique role television broadcasting has in shaping and reflecting our society’s values.

“It’s clearly not a difficult hurdle to cross, when producers put their mind to it, they come up with fantastic content. I’m not talking about niche programmes focused on ‘diversity issues’ aimed at a specific audience. Think about how well it’s been done in the States: RJ Mitte’s nuanced and compelling portrayal of young disabled man Walt Junior in Breaking Bad or seminal dramas like The Wire and you realise this isn’t a choice between better representation and better programmes.”

2. Advertisement
      pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Re: UK TV risks being 'knocked off its perch' unless it improves diversity, says peer

I don't think British has been on any sort of perch for the last ten years or so. Occasionally a new interesting documentary will come out but the vast majority of British tv these days is made up of second rate American comedy (comedy???) and endless repeats. I got rid of Sky tv a long time because of this. I now only have Freeserve which serves up same junk but at least I don't pay for that. To be honest I watch very very little tv these days. Most of my entertainment is taken from the internet which, whilst I will admit also has a load of junk on it, is at least diverse IMO.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: UK TV risks being 'knocked off its perch' unless it improves diversity, says peer

No offence, but I think you have misunderstood the article. It has nothing to do with the quality of programs, it is concerned with persons with ‘protected characteristics’. Google it for more information.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      No offence, but I think you have misunderstood the article. It has nothing to do with the quality of programs, it is concerned with persons with ‘protected characteristics’. Google it for more information.
      Not really. I may have missed Scubbie's point but what I said still stands. UK telly fell off it's "we have the best telly in the world" perch years ago. That was my point which was in answer to Scubbie's opening remark.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

It wasn't my point to make as the article was cross-posted from the Guardian.

Essentially though Lord Holmes is stating that UK TV needs to expand its inclusiveness of different minority groups.

Whilst there are a variety of programmes being made by the likes of Channel 4, overall there are some groups represented but many others aren't and when they are it appears that they are normally made fun of, well that's my take on the current situation.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

vfx
      vfx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub 2 SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD x4 MS
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pete.i View Post
      Not really. I may have missed Scubbie's point but what I said still stands. UK telly fell off it's "we have the best telly in the world" perch years ago. That was my point which was in answer to Scubbie's opening remark.
      The British masses seem to adore reality TV though. TV is full of X-Factor, Britain's got talent, Big Brother, soaps, cook shows, game shows, talk shows not sure what else... but the masses love it.