Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By lettice

Yes, they've made a Thunderbirds remake. Stop griping and get over it

This is a discussion on Yes, they've made a Thunderbirds remake. Stop griping and get over it within the Entertainment forums, part of the Community channel category; Yes, they've made a Thunderbirds remake. Stop griping and get over it | Television & radio | The Guardian The ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Yes, they've made a Thunderbirds remake. Stop griping and get over it

Yes, they've made a Thunderbirds remake. Stop griping and get over it | Television & radio | The Guardian
      The news that CITV have made the new Thunderbirds are Go! series could provoke violent fury at the trashing of sacred childhood memories, but only if you forget that the original was rubbish as well

Be honest. Your first reaction when you discovered that CITV had made a new Thunderbirds series was one of violent fury. It’s OK, you can admit it. So was mine. “They’re not even puppets any more!” I wailed. “The Tracy brothers look like a One Direction tribute act made up of pillows and sex dolls!” And then, the inevitable topper: “They’re ruining my childhood! This is just like Postman Pat and his laser-eyed robot cat all over again!”

So allow yourself this moment of anguish. But then shut up, because you’re wrong. Admittedly, the notion of Fonejacker and Rosamund Pike teaming up with the Avatar people to remake a 50-year-old television show does seem a little odd – especially since the new series will be called Thunderbirds are Go!, which presumably tested slightly better than Thundabirdz – but you’re still wrong. How wrong? Let me count the ways.

First, Thunderbirds is one of those rare properties that has never really gone away. If you were a child in the 1960s, you’ll remember the original Gerry Anderson series. If you were a child in the 1990s, you’ll remember the resurgence: the BBC Two repeats, the song International Rescue by Fuzzbox, the immortal sight of Anthea Turner slapping a bit of Celtic Moor emulsion on a loo roll and vaingloriously attempting to pass it off as Tracy Island.

If you were a child in 2004, you’ll remember the live-action Thunderbirds movie remake, or at least the dire warnings not to go and watch it because it was so calamitously bad. And if you were a child in the early 1980s, you might have some recollection of the anime series Thunderbirds 2086, even though that didn’t really have anything to do with Thunderbirds and was liable to give you a seizure.

Thunderbirds is always around. It cannot be killed. It mutates and adapts to the whims of the age. Thunderbirds are Go! isn’t trampling on your childhood, because this is what Thunderbirds has always done. Twenty years from now, the 30-year-olds of the day might rise up in anger because someone made a Thunderbirds VR app made of nothing but wobbing noises and subliminal messages, but they’ll be wrong, too. It will just be Thunderbirds adjusting to the marketplace again.

Incidentally, you’ll notice that I said “you’ll remember” rather than “you enjoyed” Thunderbirds in its various iterations. This is another reason why you have no right to whine about what they’ve done to your beloved Thunderbirds – because Thunderbirds was never that good in the first place. It was boring. It was cheap-looking. It was full of interminable pauses. There were too many Tracy brothers, and none of them had distinct personalities. It was, simply, not much cop.

My theory is that Thunderbirds has endured for two reasons – first, because it’s easy to wobble your arms around and do an impression of Parker, and second, because people only watched it because their parents made them. Parents in the 60s made their children watch it because there was nothing else on, and every subsequent generation of parents have made their children watch it because they’ve found themselves trapped in a tragic cycle of behavioural abuse. I fear what will happen when the children who were made to watch the 2004 Thunderbirds film reach child-rearing age. I only pray that social services will be on standby.

And then there’s the biggest reason of all. The reason why you definitely shouldn’t make anything like a fuss about Thunderbirds are Go! That reason, of course, is that you’re an adult. An adult griping about a cartoon. Look at yourself. You should be ashamed. There’s nothing wrong with CITV updating Thunderbirds. The only thing wrong is you making such an unbearable noise about it.

That said, though, if anyone comes for Terrahawks, I’ll cut them.

2. Advertisement
      dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Virgin. Over 500mb.
      Router: Asus 3200
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Re: Yes, they've made a Thunderbirds remake. Stop griping and get over it

I was really looking forward to this as Thunderbirds was from my time as a child, but now I know it is going to be all CGI, I am disappointed.
      I have seen the press release with the photo of the Tracey family and am not impressed.

I don't like the modern CGI cartoons which is what it will be. Just a personal thing with me.
      I know times have moved on and I didn't expect the cheap puppets again, but I don't want what they will be offering so I won't be watching.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

I was also looking forward to this, remember well from my childhood and still have in the loft original Matchbox Thunderbird 2 and 4 models.
      It is not so much the cgi, but they could at least have made them look close to the original puppets.

They look very odd I agree in the pictures so far, more like the Japanese anime or manga characters.
      Hopefully, when in action they will work better against the live sets.
      dog-man likes this.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      I was also looking forward to this, remember well from my childhood and still have in the loft original Matchbox Thunderbird 2 and 4 models.
      It is not so much the cgi, but they could at least have made them look close to the original puppets.

They look very odd I agree in the pictures so far, more like the Japanese anime or manga characters.
      Hopefully, when in action they will work better against the live sets.
      Captain Scarlet was much better!
      ...at least I always preferred it, much better theme tune.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

Thanks

A few more images have surfaced last few days for the new updated series.
      I do like the look of Brains.
      Lady Penelope is a real let down, not anywhere near the sophisticate look she originally had. She looks pretty uninspiring.

Thunderbirds Are Go! Reveals Brains, Lady Penelope and Parker - ComingSoon.net

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

It looks like they've used current styles that women wear, much like the original Lady Penelope was a 1960's woman in a 1960s style.

The same for some of the other characters.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

The puppets with strings and the original voices are back then.
      The cgi tv series for me was not that good and I gave up after a few episodes, but do like this going back to the original format.

New Thunderbirds episodes are go! - BBC News