Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree3Likes
    • 1 Post By Scubbie
    • 1 Post By gymno
    • 1 Post By placcychicken

World’s biggest video game collection sold for $750,000

This is a discussion on World’s biggest video game collection sold for $750,000 within the Entertainment forums, part of the Community channel category; World Guinness Book of World Record game collection of over 11,000 games covers over 104 different consoles The world’s biggest ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,247 Times in 2,108 Posts

World’s biggest video game collection sold for $750,000

World
      Guinness Book of World Record game collection of over 11,000 games covers over 104 different consoles

The world’s biggest video game collection containing over 11,000 games has been sold for $750,000 at auction.

The collection, whose size was certified by the Guinness Book of World Records, had a starting price of just $1. But 11 days and 56 bids later the price had risen to $750,250 after the seller, Michael Thomasson from Hamburg, New York, was forced to sell because of family commitments.

“I simply have an immediate family and extended family that have needs that need to be addressed,” explained Thomasson in his GameGavel listing. “While I do not wish to part with these games, I have responsibilities that I have made to others and this action is how I will help meet them.”

The 11,000-plus collection, which Thomasson started in 1982, includes complete US sets of games for 22 consoles, including the Sega Dreamcast, Atari Jaguar, 3DO and Nintendo Virtual Boy, as well as near complete collections for 14 other consoles and thousands of other games for 68 further gaming machines.

The Guinness Book of World Records certified the collection at 10,607 games in 2012 as the world’s largest, accrued at a rate of around two games a day for 20 years. Since then, Thomasson – a former independent game shop owner – has added over 400 to the pile.

“Approximately a quarter of the collection is new factory sealed! There are a whopping 2600+ factory shrink-wrapped titles in the collection! Over 8,300 are complete with box and manual,” said Thomasson.

Bidding war

The winning bidder, known only as peeps_10091970, was locked in a bidding war with another buyer, catch123, on the GameGavel site, driving the price up from $150,000 eventually winning with a $750,250 bid on Wednesday 11 June.

Whether $750,000 is enough for a collection of this size and completeness is up for debate, but while Thomasson is sad to part with his enormous collection, he is certain this isn’t the end of his game collecting.

“I’ve sold my collection many times in the past and still managed to capture Guinness’ attention, and it is entirely possible that I may again,” he said.
      gymno likes this.

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: World’s biggest video game collection sold for $750,000

Wow.

I had no idea there had been anywhere near 104 different consoles.

Unless of course they're including things like this:

Oh how i used to drool over Astro wars in mums home shopping catalogue when i was 5.
      placcychicken likes this.

placcychicken is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCGAR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      Wow.

I had no idea there had been anywhere near 104 different consoles.

Unless of course they're including things like this:

Oh how i used to drool over Astro wars in mums home shopping catalogue when i was 5.

I had one of those

- - - Updated - - -

Also one of theseWorld’s biggest video game collection sold for 0,000-942_856_1246496060593_grandstand_pocket_scramble.jpg
      gymno likes this.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

You lucky so n' so.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I think both of them, the collector and the buyer, have more money than sense. The collector for buying an average of 2 games a day for 20 years, probably never playing them, and the buyer for paying an average of $68 a game when none of them would cost that much. I suppose its an ego trip for someone with money to burn.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

I find a lot of the gaming culture to be like that.

Lots of people buying new consoles that aren't needed, just because it's a limited edition red or white one.

Before buying my first PS1, i bought a few magazines to see what things were going on.
      A lot of news seemed to centre around the different aromas instruction manuals had...

A weird bunch.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,247 Times in 2,108 Posts

In many areas collecting is becoming an old person's game and many have reduced how much they are prepared to spend on new items.

Sure there will be rare games in that collection, which no doubt will bump up the value as a whole, but it is unlikely that anyone would be able to play all of the games now, even if the wanted to.

Some of the components will have degraded and the consoles may need some work too.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.