Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

David Attenborough says future landmark series may never be made again

This is a discussion on David Attenborough says future landmark series may never be made again within the Entertainment forums, part of the Community channel category; An article in the Media Guardian with David Attenborough says future series such as Life On Earth which lasted for ...

Ian Thompson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

David Attenborough says future landmark series may never be made again

An article in the Media Guardian with David Attenborough says future series such as Life On Earth which lasted for 17 weeks each episode 1 hour long and the documentary series about the Great War from 1914-1918 which lasted for 26 weeks and again each episode 1 hour long, may never be made again because of the fragmentation of audiences and the number of TV channel in this era. I can remember drama series back in 1964 on BBC2 such as The Forsyth Saga lasting 26 week with again each of the 26 episodes lasting 60 minutes without adverts of course and another epic drama series on BBC 2 War and Peace with 20 1 hour long episodes lasting over 20 weeks. David Attenborough says producers and directories won't risk such a heavy commitment because of the fragmentation of audiences with multitudes of channels in this era. It's a very thought provoking article.
      Ian.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: David Attenborough says future landmark series may never be made again

As you say Ian, it is an interesting article.

David Attenborough: changing viewing habits may halt future landmark series | Media | theguardian.com

At the same time he has levied some criticism against the BBC whom he has made many of the series for in the past:

David Attenborough: BBC will never make another Life on Earth - Telegraph

I would assume that he is in a position to know as well due to his history of making so many wonderful series.

BBC Two - Attenborough: 60 Years in the Wild

Whilst we as a species move on and look to other planets I have a question to contemplate...

There is a lot of talk about colonising the Moon and Mars. If we were to move to a new planet, would the human race also take along plants, animals and other wildlife?

We might often consider ourselves outside of 'nature' but the simple truth is we are entirely reliant on its existence. Should we wish to move a part of the human race to another planet, those living there would be in need of sustenance. Plants can provide some of this, bu those plants need pollinating (Bees) and each and every creature in the whole chain would need to be considered.

Yes this would mean that some animals would be needed in order to feed the humans too.

Later, if a planet were found with its own life, would we have the right to colonise it? Would any potential food be safe? Would it not be safer to colonise a planet where we would not harm the existing life?

The various long-term studies performed in order to make series such as Life on Earth is hugely valuable and very popular with a variety of people. It would be a shame to lose the opportunity to grow it further.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

I think by the time we're ready to do that, they won't be called the moon & mars anymore, instead google1 & google2.

We'll simply drop some google seeds on the place, sit back until there's an atmosphere & shoot over in our google craft when it's our turn.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Seriously though, i do believe that by then, various techniques like self-pollinating GM crops will be around.
      Also, let's not forget that lab created beef has already been created & eaten.
      Then there's cloning.

Personally i have graver concerns over the philosophical / moral questions you posed.

My general stance, based on history, is that unfortunately it will probably still be a relatively small portion of the population who are the driving force behind such decisions.
      Just like now, that relatively small portion will be the most advanced society on earth, although we all know that really, that just means the most aggressive.

Dr Michio Kaku has been my goto reference on this kind of subject for many years now.
      That might have something to do with the fact that within minutes of having sky tv installed for the very first time, i found myself mesmerised by this interview with him:

having stumbled upon it during my first ever channel surf.
      You don't get that on itv lol.

Unfortunately, the channel that broadcast it is no more, thanks to lack of funding.
      Still, at least we have 'here comes honey booboo' now instead.