Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Bids for Channel 5 expected to be less than half 700m asking price

This is a discussion on Bids for Channel 5 expected to be less than half 700m asking price within the Entertainment forums, part of the Community channel category; Bids for Channel 5 expected to be less than half 700m asking price - Telegraph Auction of broadcaster will disappoint ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Bids for Channel 5 expected to be less than half 700m asking price

Bids for Channel 5 expected to be less than half 700m asking price - Telegraph
      Auction of broadcaster will disappoint Richard Desmond, say sources

The sale of Channel 5 is expected to attract bids of less than half the 700m price tag attached to the broadcaster by its owner Richard Desmond, it can be disclosed.

Any second round bids are likely to be pitched at around 200m or 300m, according to sources, as prospective buyers have been allowed greater access to Channel 5’s accounts following the first round of the auction.

The accounts showed how much Channel 5’s recent financial success has relied on close ties with Mr Desmond’s other assets, such as The Daily Express newspaper and the Health Lottery. The broadcaster is expected to report an operating profit of 70m this year, but sources said scrutiny of its books showed a significant amount of money moving between companies within Mr Desmond’s holding company, Northern & Shell.

Second round bids of around 200m or 300m would represent a major reassessment of Channel 5’s value compared with the first round. It is understood Mr Desmond received indicative bids of around 600m before potential buyers were allowed to see the broadcaster’s accounts in the last two weeks.

Mr Desmond bought Channel 5 for 104m from RTL Group in 2010 and has cut costs and reinvigorated its advertising sales operation. It reported an operating profit of 26m for the first half of 2013, compared with a 16.1m loss a year earlier.

The deadline for binding final bids set by Barclays, which is handling the auction, is April 14. Only two American prospective owners, Discovery, the factual media group part-owned by John Malone, and Viacom, the conglomerate behind MTV and controlled by Sumner Redstone, are believed to remain involved. BSkyB has been part of the Discovery bid as a potential advertising sales partner.

A series of potential British buyers, including BT, Channel 4 and ITV have ruled themselves out in recent weeks.

Aside from Channel 5’s ties to other parts of Northern and Shell, British television executives have raised concerns about the extent to which the turnaround led by Mr Desmond has relied on Big Brother. The reality television franchise helped the broadcaster beat Channel 4 for share of viewers, a key statistic for advertising buyers, for the first time in its history last summer.

However, Mr Desmond’s deal for the rights to the Big Brother format expires at the end of this year and it is rumoured that ITV could swoop to fill a gap in the schedules of ITV2. Its second channel, “home of unashamed entertainment for 16-34 year olds”, is due to lose its current stalwart The Only Way is Essex to ITVBe, a new channel targeting women.

A spokesman for ITV declined to comment on industry rumours it could take Big Brother from Channel 5.

Meanwhile, City observers are casting doubt on reports that Channel 5 could be floated on the stock market as an alternative to a trade sale.

Mr Desmond recently appointed Goldman Sachs to explore investor demand for a listing, which would be his first public listing. Sources questioned the seriousness of the idea on grounds it would require even more financial openness than the ongoing auction. Others noted that a flotation might not provide the full exit from Channel 5 apparently sought by the media tycoon, who also owns OK! magazine and The Daily Star newspaper.

A Northern & Shell spokeswoman said talk of bids around 200m or 300m was “complete nonsense”.

2. Advertisement
      dnpark38 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01274
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Bids for Channel 5 expected to be less than half 700m asking price

My problem with Five is lack of HD on Freesat and Freeview, I believe the BBC now have the transmission band that could have been Five's.
      As regards Big Brother it did need a change but Five got the changes wrong as far as we are concerned because it became boring.

Thanks

Sadly the BBC did claim channel 105 on Freeview. This was initially reserved for Channel 5 HD but they decided not to use it.

Currently BBC3 HD uses it, but as that is closing next year, who knows what will happen.

Ch.5 HD was a Free-to-View channel (i.e. with Sky subscription), but is now provided with the Sky HD pack instead. This is the same for ITV2 HD, ITV3 HD and ITV4 HD.

What worries me personally would be if the channel is bought by an American firm. Sure Discovery and MTV produce some good material but I have other concerns.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

I do occasionally watch C5, Gadget show, Hotel Inspector and they do often have some good films.
      I did enjoy Dallas, but series 3 may be on another channel I have heard.

I must admit though its often a channel I get confused about what they do show.
      I'm often doing TV surveys and mix and match content for channel 5 that I assume is on another channel.

Thanks

The channel does have content that is also available on other channels.

I know that Neighbours and Home and Away are quite popular.

Show such as NCIS, Police Interceptors CSI (Vegas) & CSI:New York feature quite a bit on their schedule. Most of these do appear on other channels (Fox and Universal mostly).

There are also the other channels: 5 USA, 5*, Channel 5+1 and Channel 5+24. Much of their content is repeats though.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Ive never even looked at 5 usa and 5* and as for channel 5+24, what is that all about, +1 channels gone mad really, bit like the C4 4seven.
      Why not use record or use catchup for anything thats on those channels.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

I've thought of +1 type channels as being a bit weird for a while now.

They do serve a purpose for households with 1 TV & nothing else whatsoever, but with something as precious as bandwidth at stake & that dwindling demographic, are they really that sensible?

Even the bbc is planning a bbc1+1...

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

+1 channels are popular with broadcaster because they genuinely increase the market penetration of any content transmitted. I've seen suggestions a +1 channel adds 10% of the base channel original viewers. Most broadcaster would kill to increase any programmes reach by 10%!

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Can't argue with that.