Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

Sky in ultra high-definition TV first

This is a discussion on Sky in ultra high-definition TV first within the Entertainment forums, part of the Community channel category; I prefer to work with metric myself, so don't worry. However we still need to work with both systems in ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,246 Times in 2,108 Posts

Re: Sky in ultra high-definition TV first

I prefer to work with metric myself, so don't worry. However we still need to work with both systems in this country.

I guess the sizes still show in imperial in the shops as the size of the screen is embedded in the model numbers of the TVs too, even on the continent where Napoleon wiped out Imperial measurements and enforced metricfication.

We can blame Simon Stevin for this too.
      gymno likes this.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Isn't it strange that the most advanced and some would say the most important country in the world, still use imperial measurements? Maybe this is why TVs are still sized in inches.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Isn't it strange that the most advanced and some would say the most important country in the world, still use imperial measurements? Maybe this is why TVs are still sized in inches.
      Absolutely correct. They still use fluid oz, pints and gallons but can't even get that right as they have 16 to a pint where as we had 20. Then they have barrels of oil that are much smaller than ours.........42 US gallons or 160 litre.

I worked in metricated industries for the whole of my life but still think of TV's in imperial sizes. My experience across the EU is model numbers are essentially imperial but display model details are shown in cm sizes.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,246 Times in 2,108 Posts

There are many instances where the metric has made things easier to work out due to its scientific background, but the imperial system I would argue is more artistic.

When I learnt to Dive I used the metric system but the older members would always refer back to the imperial measurements for depth or cylinder sizes. Who could blame them?

They grew up with it and the numbers sounded much better. A 100ft dive could be referred to as diving the ton, a serious dive in a cold water environment. A significant number. Not as sexy as a dive to 30m (actually 30.48m), yet they are the same.

A 10 Litre cylinder was always much easier to work out for air consumption than the imperial equivalent. For a start with the metric system it was the actual internal water volume at atmospheric pressure, whereas with the imperial cylinders they used something completely different.

There are some dangers with getting it wrong too. Quite a few people have attempted to fit a new valve to an old cylinder. The result was a nasty accident when it was next filled.

However, I still prefer to work in MPH and use miles for long distances. Even when working in Egypt I had issues with thinking distances in KM.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Annie UK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWFEL
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: TP-Link Archer C7
      Thanks

LG - Meteor Prank Interview

bubblegun, Scubbie and Fryingpan77 like this.
      Annie 🦋..........
      My Sky+HD FAQ
      (now with more questions)
      My Sky hardware and setup

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Some interesting news imminent from BT on UHD next Tuesday along with their Champions League channel costs announcements.
      The mention of satellite assumes a new Sky box too.
      Could not care about UHD myself, but looks like its all about to kick off!

From Broadcast now
      BT Sport set to unveil Gary Lineker and UHD service | News | Broadcast

Broadcast understands that Lineker is to be announced as a member of BTís European football presenting team at an Olympic Park launch event on 9 June.
      UHD plans
      BT Sport is also expected to announce plans to become the first UK broadcaster to launch an Ultra High Definition service.
      The broadcaster was granted a licence for a channel titled BT Sport Ultra HD as part of Ofcomís Television Broadcast Licensing Update for April.
      The Television Licensable Content Service (TLCS) licence paves the way for BT Sport to distribute the channel via satellite, cable, IP services, such as Youview, and mobile - but not digital terrestrial television (DTT).
      BT Sport has conducted a series of UHD tests at football, rugby and basketball matches in recent month. Chief operating officer Jamie Hindhaugh told Broadcast at the start of the year that he felt the broadcaster was ready to begin transmitting UHD content, with Champions League coverage on its radar.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Fab Fibre (Sky network)
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Yes according to Sky and BT are in their own cup final for football fans’ cash - Telegraph (The Daily Telegraph, 28 May 2015) there's a BT event on Tuesday. Also read somewhere else yesterday that sounds like BT will be introducing a £5 monthly charge for some or all of their Euro football. Gary Lineker is expected to be joining BT Sport too (apparently he's just changed his BBC contract to become non-exclusive). Interesting times...
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      Yes according to Sky and BT are in their own cup final for football fans’ cash - Telegraph (The Daily Telegraph, 28 May 2015) there's a BT event on Tuesday. Also read somewhere else yesterday that sounds like BT will be introducing a £5 monthly charge for some or all of their Euro football. Gary Lineker is expected to be joining BT Sport too (apparently he's just changed his BBC contract to become non-exclusive). Interesting times...
      The announcement on Tuesday is mostly all about the BT champions league deal.

I love my football and sky's premiership coverage is the best.
      I use another Family members BT sign in to watch BT sport via the BT sport app so don't have to pay for it directly. Did work well last season for the matches I watched and being able to use Chromecast was a joy.

As for the champions league, I do watch my own team during the group stages, quarter final, semi and final, which they have been in a number of times over the years. Well done Chelsea!
      But, I never generally watch any other matches, especially the foreign teams and could not really be fussed about today's final, no home clubs.
      So for me its really no big deal its on BT, as for 4/5 matches of my own club next season (the semi and final if they make it will be free to view anyway) I will listen on the radio and watch the highlights, not worth paying extra for.
      The premiership is another matter and I watch most of the matches and can with my sky sports sub (I do love cricket, golf and F1) and via my BT way.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Fab Fibre (Sky network)
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

My team is in League One so they might normally expect to get covered once or twice a season on Sky Sports if they're lucky. PL & CL is of no interest to me at all, so not interested in BT Sport at all. We only subscribe to Sky Sports for the cricket and Mrs. s. likes F1 - would like to see a non-football Sky Sports sub, but that's never going to happen...
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

You can watch today's champions league final in UHD via sky in germany.
      select Sky Sports Bar locations across Germany will be screening the match in ultra-high definition.
      More info here: UEFA Champions League Final captured live in 4K using Sony HDC-4300 : Live Production : International Broadcast News

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast