Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Freeview failure hits Sony recorder owners

This is a discussion on Freeview failure hits Sony recorder owners within the Entertainment forums, part of the Community channel category; BBC News - Freeview failure hits Sony recorder owners Sony says it is experiencing "a major technical issue" after many ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Freeview failure hits Sony recorder owners

BBC News - Freeview failure hits Sony recorder owners
      Sony says it is experiencing "a major technical issue" after many owners of its DVD recorders lost access to their Freeview TV channels.

Dozens of owners have written to the BBC to complain that a malfunctioning software update on Friday has caused their devices to stop receiving or recording Freeview.

Many complained about a lack of response from Sony customer support.

Sony said it was doing everything possible to solve the problem.

"A major technical issue has been flagged to our dedicated team. We will update you asap," the Japanese firm tweeted back on Saturday in response to dozens of messages about the problem.

The company's own support forums as well as other independent online sites were filled with complaints from irate users over the weekend.

Sony HXD recorders, such as the RDR-HXD870 model, which were updated Friday with the firmware 1.70 fix, seem to be affected by the issue.

"It may already have come to your attention that thousands of owners of Sony DVD units have completely lost all their access to Freeview channels," Geoff Cheers, from Chorley, wrote to the BBC.

Graham Johnson, from Oxford, wrote: "There are thousands of people affected by this, many of whom, like me, have wasted hours today trying to retune and repair their machine. Many folks, it seems, have also been out and bought a new one.

"Sony's Twitter feed and own technical support website are in meltdown with angry customers, and Sony themselves are conspicuous by their absence.

"On Sunday, a spokeswoman for Sony UK told the BBC: "We are aware of the issue and our engineers are doing everything to solve it."

2. Advertisement
      Annie UK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWFEL
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: TP-Link Archer C7
      Thanks

Re: Freeview failure hits Sony recorder owners

We have 2 RDR-HXD870s and the both got stuck on updating, after fighting with them over the weekend they finally started to work Sunday afternoon, though I'm not sure what fixed them.
      Annie 🦋..........
      My Sky+HD FAQ
      (now with more questions)
      My Sky hardware and setup

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Freeview failure hits Sony recorder owners

I partially posted up the story to show that not everyone gets the updates right first time every time. I am sure that this is not the first update from Sony in the lifetime of the DVD recorders.

Nice to hear that some are working again though.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.