Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BBC 3D programming 'on hold' indefinitely

This is a discussion on BBC 3D programming 'on hold' indefinitely within the Entertainment forums, part of the Community channel category; BBC News - BBC 3D programming 'on hold' indefinitely The BBC is to suspend 3D programming for an indefinite period ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

BBC News - BBC 3D programming 'on hold' indefinitely
      The BBC is to suspend 3D programming for an indefinite period due to a "lack of public appetite" for the technology.

Kim Shillinglaw, the BBC's head of 3D, said it has "not taken off" with audiences who find it "quite hassly".

The BBC began a two-year 3D trial in 2011, broadcasting several shows and events in 3D, including the Olympic Games and Strictly Come Dancing.

A Doctor Who anniversary special in November will be among the final shows televised in 3D as part of the trial.

Half of the estimated 1.5 million households in the UK with a 3D-enabled television watched last summer's Olympics opening ceremony in 3D.

The BBC said 3D viewing figures for the Queen's Christmas Message and the children's drama Mr Stink were "even more disappointing", with just 5% of potential viewers tuning in over the Christmas period.

'Wait-and-see'
      In an interview with the Radio Times, Shillinglaw said: "I have never seen a very big appetite for 3D television in the UK.

"I think when people watch TV they concentrate in a different way. When people go to the cinema they go and are used to doing one thing - I think that's one of the reasons that take up of 3D TV has been disappointing."

Shillinglaw will return to her main job at the BBC, as head of science and natural history, when the project ends at the close of the year.

"After that we will see what happens when the recession ends and there may be more take up of sets, but I think the BBC will be having a wait-and-see. It's the right time for a good old pause," she said.

"I am not sure our job is to call the whole 3D race," she said.

Last year's Wimbledon finals were the first programmes to be shown in 3D by the BBC. This year, the broadcaster will show both the men's and ladies Wimbledon semi-finals and finals in 3D.

The free-to-air 3D Wimbledon coverage is only available to viewers with access to a 3D TV set and to the BBC's HD Red Button channel on certain platforms, but not Sky.

Last month, US sports network ESPN announced it was to close its 3D channel in the US due to a lack of uptake.

Recent figures from the US suggest no more than 120,000 people are watching 3D channels at any one time.

2. Advertisement
      Chug a Bug is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Yes
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Re: BBC 3D programming 'on hold' indefinitely

I can't say I'm surprised, most people seem barely to be aware there are HD channels out there, never mind 3D. When I try and explain there are HD channels on her box as far as my mother her friends and my uncle are concerned I might as well be giving a lecture on quantum mechanics.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

I think the problem with 3d is because of a number of factors.
      Many people just don't have access to it at home. Having recently upgraded their main TVs a few years back to HD or integrated freeview type setups are not prepared to upgrade so soon again.
      There is with 3d (Ive seen these fads in the past a number of times before, the early 80s and late 90s and remember a year of it in the early 70s at saturday cinema showing some 50s and 60s 3d films)a big rush always in the cinema and on TV to get content out, some of it demonstrating the good 3d effect but a lot if it poor and just trying to cash in.
      The cinema charging extra for glasses and the films has pretty much killed it there for many.
      Having seen the F1 in 3d it added nothing and never worked. One of the problems with 3d, it doesn't always work and does require some extra creativity that does cost.
      Also, as casual watching its fine, but not for using all the time, it does become tiresome watching and wearing.
      I'm sure it will arrive again when 4k arrives, perhaps glasses free.

Sometimes I think it ruins fillm, one for me being the Hobbit series, that looked so much better in 2d.
      But do remember in 1980s we got so excited with Jaws 3d and Friday 13th 3d, what it added pretty nothing really.
      Last edited by lettice; 06-07-13 at 09:19 AM.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

In many ways the articles main findings suggest even people with 3D enabled TV`s don`t watch 3D when it`s an alternative. The total uptake in the USA wasn`t much more than 100,000 out of 250 million. Sky seem to have stopped trailing 3D and can`t be far behind the Americans in also dropping 3D.

So 3D failed in the 1890`s with b/w photography, it failed again with colour 35mm in the cinema during the 1950`s. And now it`s failed on HDTV in the 2010`s. My view is it`s the need for glasses added to the general disinterest in watching 3D routinely. After all people still listen to radio on AM when 60 years ago FM became available and DAB started the better part of 20 years ago.

Sky will follow suit very soon and drop 3D.

- - - Updated - - -

In many ways the articles main findings suggest even people with 3D enabled TV`s don`t watch 3D when it`s an alternative. The total uptake in the USA wasn`t much more than 100,000 out of 250 million. Sky seem to have stopped trailing 3D and can`t be far behind the Americans in also dropping 3D.

So 3D failed in the 1890`s with b/w photography, it failed again with colour 35mm in the cinema during the 1950`s. And now it`s failed on HDTV in the 2010`s. My view is it`s the need for glasses added to the general disinterest in watching 3D routinely. After all people still listen to radio on AM when 60 years ago FM became available and DAB started the better part of 20 years ago.

Sky will follow suit very soon and drop 3D.

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

I'm also not surprised by this. It's one thing watching something at the cinema in 3D, which I think will carry on, but 3D is just a complete waste of time in the home.

JPL
      JPL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

We always watch in 3D when we can and consider the best examples to be superb. The only exception is live football, where we have spent a lifetime learning to interpret the 2D picture and find that 3D doesn't help.

However, the BBC is correct to give 3D a low priority, especially when half its channels are still available in 2D only. Their highest technological priority should be to broadcast BBC 3 & 4 in HD. It is particularly disappointing that HD picture and Dolby 5.1 sound are not an option for some of the best programmes the BBC produces - just because they are broadcast on BBC 4.
      JPL

Thanks

How many of you were aware that in order to watch the Wimbledon finals in 3D that you had to tune in to Freeview and use the Red Button to navigate to 'Red HD'?

There has been minimal advertising. The BBC can't get the Red HD channel on the Sky STBs yet.

Of course the worse thing is that you can't record the Red Button content, so you can't even watch it later.

As for 3D content in general, personally I love it. Admittedly I only get to see it in the Cinema at present (I'm saving up for a new 3D TV), but recent 3D films which I have seen include Life of Pi, The Hobbit, Despicable Me 2 & Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters.

I think that the article highlighted one aspect though, regarding our viewing habits. When I go to the Cinema I don't have my laptop and turn off my mobile.

At home I have many distractions to contend with. Either phone can ring, laptop is to hand, someone needs to prepare meals and clean up afterwards and so many more. In a busy family home I can understand that the potential for distractions are even more. All this means that one moment you are watching the TV and the next those glasses are being removed as you do something else.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Rturner003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01242
      Thanks

The BBC 3D is on Freeview channel 303 and so theoretically one should be able to record it; I may try it this afternoon.

It was only by luck that I found out that some of the Wimbledon games were on 3D and then there was some confusion whether it was just going to the two final games, or the semi-finals as well; it was the later.

It is typical of BBC to put on a trial and then do not get that information out properly. I did not know about all the programmes that were in that trial but they do not seem all that mainstream to me. The seem to have lost David Attenborough to Sky, whether that was because of 3D I do not know but his type of programme are ideal for the 3D product. It would be good if the World Cup was televised in 3D; that would be the kind of event to really kick start the system for the BBC.

My view on the Wimbledon 3D was that it was very good. I thought I would annoyed by the glasses but I wasn't and I have to wear them over prescription spectacles.

Chug a Bug is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Yes
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

I watched a 3D movie at the cinema once, I've no real desire to repeat it. I wear specs already so having 2 pairs of specs on my nose was not my idea of fun. I imagine there are prescription 3D glasses available but you'd have to be seriously dedicated to want to go down that route and expense. It wasn't great in other ways either the picture was too dark and the 3D effect varied, it was best during the CGI sections, merely average during live action sequences and some sequences seemed to be lacking it entirely, it was like looking at a back projection on a wall. Very strange. I really wasn't that impressed, certainly not enough to want to do it regularly.

@jpl you're right the BBC should prioritise getting BBC 3 and 4 broadcast in HD, although it does mean they'd have to cough up for two extra channels on regular broadcast as they won't cancel the SD channels and the beeb is shifting into economy mode at present, mores the pity.

@scubbie there doesn't seem to be HD on Freeview here, or my set can't receive it. I know with Freesat I can put it into non-freesat mode and access and record the channels not on the Freesat EPG such as the Red button channels, I don't know if thats possible with Freeview?

Thanks

The worst film I saw in 3D was Thor. So much of the content was actually not in 3D and the video quality was very poor. Thankfully it wasn't my first 3D film so I wasn't put off.

It is a huge disgrace but many HD and HD Ready TVs do not have a Freeview HD tuner. Having realised this I specifically looked around when I was last looking for a new TV. Many of the cheap 1080p TVs on sale even now do not have a Freeview HD tuner in them.

Whilst I realise that you get what you pay for, it doesn't surprise me that so many people are disillusioned with HD and 3D.

How many elderly people are going to remember to go to 101 (Freeview) or 141 (Sky) in order to watch BBC 1 HD? Hold on, sorry, local news is on, back to 001 (Freeview) or 101 (Sky) to see it.

The BBC may be in a period when it is cutting costs, but the service is awful when it comes to making things simple.

IMHO when Sky introduced the 'HD Channel Swap' it was a great success. i don't have to hunt all the way down the schedule in order to find the HD variant and can easily find what I am looking for.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast