Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Recordings to DVD

This is a discussion on Sky Recordings to DVD within the Entertainment forums, part of the Community channel category; I can already see that transferring recordings from my Sky+ to a DVD Recorder is possible. Now i wonder if ...

philmatch is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: virgin
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Recordings to DVD

I can already see that transferring recordings from my Sky+ to a DVD Recorder is possible. Now i wonder if anyone can give me some advice on a good model of DVD Recorder to buy

I Would like

1. To not necessarily have to watch and record in real time
      2. Perhaps edit the program before transferring to DVD
      3 Get as much bang for my buck as possible, without spending silly amounts

Thanks for any advice you can give

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Sky Recordings to DVD

Any descent DVD recorder will perform the task.

Sky STBs don't have the software to allow you to edit a program before recording it to DVD. You will either need to purchase something else to allow you to do this yourself or edit it on the fly with the DVD recorder. Mine, for example, will allow me to press 'Pause' so I can trim the adverts out if I wish.

I don't know if there are any available, but see if you can find one that can record onto Dual Layer (DL) discs. Standard DVDs will record for a max of 2 hours at standard speed. Whilst you can record 4 hours films by changing the compression ratios, the quality drops.

DL discs will allow considerably longer footage to be recorded.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Your best bet is a HDD DVD recorder. This will allow you to record to the HDD, name edit etc, then transfer to DVD if you wish. You will have to transfer to the HDD in real time, but burning on to a DVD is much quicker. When I want to transfer anything, I set up a bunch using the Copy feature and do it overnight.

Most of the recorders available now have built in freeview, which if you are going to use it with a Sky box, is a bit of a waste of money. Search around and see what is available. The Panasonics look very good, but most reviewers comment on its 'advertising' feature. You will not get much for under 200 but this one from Tesco looks quite good. Buy Toshiba RD100 Digital DVD Recorder with 320Gb HDD at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for DVD recorders with hard disk drive.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

A cheap option, if you've already got a DVD player, might be to get a media player which can record an analogue source to a USB hard drive, then do the editing and burn it to a DVD on your PC. I recently bought a new, but obsolescent one for 20 which should be able to do that after upgrading to its final firmware, although it has various limitations, such as it can only record in standard definition and doesn't have a HDMI connection, doesn't support MKV, and doesn't provide access to the recorded content over the LAN.