Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

• How to Create a New Article

Here's a quick visual guide on how to create a new article with the CMS.

1. Create New Article Button: Navigate to the section you want the article to be published in. Click on the "Create a New Article" button. This will open an article form.

2. Article Title: In the "Add/Edit Article" screen, enter the title of your article in the "Title" textbox.
      3. SEO URL: Put in SEO-friendly URL in "SEO URL Alias" field. After entering the article title and SEO URL field is blank, the system will auto-fill the SEO URL based on the article title.
      4. Article Text: Enter the body of your article in the WYSIWYG editor.

5. Image Settings Pop-up: Clicking on the image in the WYSIWYG will bring up the "Image Settings Menu" that allows you to set Image Alignment, Size, Title and Descriptions, and even enter CSS Style.

6. Publish Status: Enable article to be published or un-published.
      7. Publish Date/Time: Ability to set a future publish date and time.
      8. Comments: Enable/Disable User Comments for this specific article.
      9. Permission Previews: If this article is to be published in a permission-secured section, you can still allow an article preview to be viewed on the homepage or public-accessible sections. This is a great feature if you want to provide a teaser to upsell a subscription package.

10. Sections: This displays the current section for this article. Clicking on different section will move the article to that section.
      11. Categories. Click on any categories for the articles.
      12. Permission Read Access: This lets you know which user-groups can read this article.

13. HTML Title: This is what you want displayed on the browser title.
      14. Meta Descriptions. By default, if the user does not fill this in, the system will automatically will fill this with the first 100 characters.
      15. Meta Keywords: Add any meta keywords for this article.
      Comments 10 Comments
        Isitme -
        Ged, is this going to be available to all members without any moderation?
        NewsreadeR -
        In what way?
        steelysteph -
        Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
        Ged, is this going to be available to all members without any moderation?
        It doesn't look like it. I've just tried to follow the link but I don't have permission.
        NewsreadeR -
        Normal members will not be able to create articles, however they should all be able to read them.

Looks like we have some kind of permissions problem at the moment, which I am working on.
        dholdi -
        Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
        Normal members will not be able to create articles.
        Cue article on watching 3d on a normal telly from an abnormal member.
        Isitme -
        Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
        Normal members will not be able to create articles, however they should all be able to read them.

Looks like we have some kind of permissions problem at the moment, which I am working on.
        That's what I meant.
        I am able to view so it looks like it is only available to mods at the moment.
        NewsreadeR -
        That's what I meant.
        I am able to view so it looks like it is only available to mods at the moment.
        Cool

Mods, Admin etc can create articles etc and view them. We are probably going to introduce a new membership level of Site Content Team or similar so as certain members who want to can do some tutorials etc

Members should be able to read them, if they can't they will soon be able to do.
        Isitme -
        We are probably going to introduce a new membership level of Site Content Team or similar so as certain members who want to can do some tutorials etc
        That's a good idea, if it were thrown open to everyone to contribute, I could foresee lots of problems.
        NewsreadeR -
        That's a good idea, if it were thrown open to everyone to contribute, I could foresee lots of problems.
        For sure. I did mention it to Scubbie, as she and a few others are currently doing some external work for stuff that is forthcoming, so it would make sense for that group to have access so they can publish what they create.
        NewsreadeR -
        PS - Mods can also create stuff if you wish to have a play. We can always delete stuff etc - I have disabled the post creation when a new article is created etc as it was throwing them out left right and centre yesterday.
    SkyUser - Copyright © 2006-2020. SatDish and NewsreadeR | SkyUser is in no way affiliated with Sky Broadband / BSkyB
    RIPA NOTICE: NO CONSENT IS GIVEN FOR INTERCEPTION OF PAGE TRANSMISSION