When you connect a new computer or other device to your network, there are two methods by which it can be given an IP address:
- Automatically issued with a dynamic IP address by the Sky Hub using DHCP.
- Manually configured with a static IP address.
If you let the Sky Hub assign dynamic IP addresses to all the computers and other devices connected to your network:
- There is no manual configuration to do on the computers and other devices
- There is no guarantee that the IP address of each computer or other device will be the same after it has been switched off and switched on again.
If you need consistent and reliable access to a particular computer or other device (for example, a network printer, a NAS drive or a computer that uses port forwarding for remote access from the Internet):
- Assigning a static IP address lets you decide what that IP address will be and you can be sure that it will never change.
- There is manual configuration to do on the computers and other devices.
IP Address Reservation combines the benefits of both methods, resulting in the allocation by the Sky Hub of consistent dynamic IP addresses to specific computers and other devices connected to your network:
- Computers and other devices get the same dynamic IP address every time they are switched on.
- There is no manual configuration to do on the computers and other devices.
- Configuration is performed on the Sky Hub.
How to get to the LAN IP Setup page
- Login to the router.
- Then click on ®Advanced® in the menu bar of the routerís user interface (UI).
- Then click on ®LAN IP Setup® in the sub-menu bar of the routerís user interface (UI).
This section of the page shows a list of the current IP address reservations. It also allows you to:
- Add a new IP address reservation for a computer or other device connected to your network (click on the button labelled ®Add®).
- Change an existing IP address reservation (click on the button labelled ®Edit®).
- Remove an existing IP address reservation (click on the button labelled ®Delete®).
When adding an IP address reservation, the Sky Hub shows a list of computers and other devices connected to your network, or you can type in the device name and MAC address of a specific computer or other device connected to your network and the required IP address that you want to reserve for it.
When changing an IP address reservation or removing an IP address reservation, select the required IP address reservation from the list.
Each IP address reservation change will prompt you to reboot the Sky Hub either immediately or later. If you are making a lot of changes, itís probably a good idea to defer the reboot until after you have finished making all the changes.
To back out of making any changes, click on the button labelled ®Cancel®.
Otherwise, to proceed with making any changes, click on the button labelled ®Apply®.
Note that changes to IP address reservations will not take effect until the Sky Hub has been restarted. It may also be necessary to restart the device in question in some cases as well.