Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wire Quality-- What cable required ??

This is a discussion on Wire Quality-- What cable required ?? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; First off thanks to all that have replied to my other posts,this is all a little new to me so ...

Richardod is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Upminster
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wire Quality-- What cable required ??

First off thanks to all that have replied to my other posts,this is all a little new to me so trying to learn as I go along !!!.

I am getting in sky multiroom as part of my subscription and have just realised that a phone wire is going to have to be connected to the box upstairs in my sons bedroom(i'm taking it the engineer will run two feeds from the dish on the outside wall one for downstairs and one for sons bedroom)

I have purchased an ADSl nation xte-2005 faceplate for my master socket,rather that have extensions sticking out of this I'm going to hardwire an extension to my sons bedroom (is bt's standard extension cable and box good enough for this as it's only going to be for plugging the sky box into)

I'm not sure wether it's best to place the router next to master phone socket and run the ethernet cable to the pc or place the router next to the pc and run the ethernet cable to the master (PC being about a 20ft run away)
      Also could anyone tell me what is the best cable to buy for this as I know they vary in quality.
      Finally am i right in thinking I'll need just one extension sticking out of my master socket serving my phone and downstairs sky box.
      Bloody confusing for me this but trying to get my head around it

Again many thanks for any advice offered.

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Wire Quality-- What cable required ??

Sorry if iv misread what u r tryin to do, in an ideal world u need ur router to be as close to the master socket as possible. The extension for the sky box can be normal phone ext wire as its just a phone connection. Personally on the bb side of things i've run an extension from the front room to the back using cat5e cable purely for the conveinience of having the router next to my pc.
      cheers
      dave

stephens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

For your sons sky box standard extension cable is fine. The sky engineer will put this extension cable in for you. I dont think they will hard wire it into the master socket, but once it is installed all you need to do is take off the connector they put on and hard wire it in yourself. As above, personally I have run cat5e cable from the master for an extension then plugged the router in and connected it to my PCs. I have done this purely because I did not want the router sitting in the living room with cables going everywhere.

adslnation is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Headington, Oxford
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

When you have an XTE-2005 faceplate fitted the quality of your filtered telephone extensions is not really that important as it no longer carries the ADSL signal. It is only telephone cables carrying the ADSL signal that you need to worry about.

Any extension that will carry an ADSL signal should be kept as short as possible and use a twisted pair type cable. That means either CW1308 specification telephone cable or Cat 5 ethernet cable.

Draig is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sly anymore
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richardod View Post
      I have purchased an ADSl nation xte-2005 faceplate for my master socket,rather that have extensions sticking out of this I'm going to hardwire an extension to my sons bedroom (is bt's standard extension cable and box good enough for this as it's only going to be for plugging the sky box into)
      Sky will do a normal extention (or they should do) to your sons bedroom. You can then hardwire it yourself should you wish to (won't take long) but really there isn't that much point in doing it. The standard BT type wiring and socket is good enough for this, as it is just a normal phone line.

I'm not sure wether it's best to place the router next to master phone socket and run the ethernet cable to the pc or place the router next to the pc and run the ethernet cable to the master (PC being about a 20ft run away)
      Also could anyone tell me what is the best cable to buy for this as I know they vary in quality.
      Really it is up to you as to what you prefer. Personally I keep the router next to the main desktop PC. Cat5 ethernet cable is what I have used for this. I am hoping to replace it with white version shortly if the complany I have ordered it from pulls their finger out and delivers it. At the moment it is a drab grey colour which the wife isn't too impressed with...

Finally am i right in thinking I'll need just one extension sticking out of my master socket serving my phone and downstairs sky box.
      Bloody confusing for me this but trying to get my head around it

Again many thanks for any advice offered.
      From the way you have described things I would say yes. Just a small note to say when your using the ADSL Nation faceplate at the master socket, be aware that once it is fitted (or the point of fitting it) will be to remove the ADSL signal from the line from that point onwards, unless I am mistaken. You can probably wire it differently to get around this, but that would negate the point of it. Just for you to be aware in case your son wanted ADSL in his room or something at some point. Maybe ADSLNation can clarify if that is the case 100% for you.

adslnation is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Headington, Oxford
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

There are 2 sets of terminals on the XTE-2005 if you connect the extensions to the filtered terminals (White connector) then the ADSL signal has been removed. If you connect the extensions to the unfiltered (Blue connector) then the ADSL signal is still present.

The idea of the faceplate is to have as many extensions as possible running of the filtered terminals. If an ADSL extension is required that is connected to the unfiltered terminals. If you do this make sure the cable is as short as possible and is a good quality twisted pair cable.