Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless or Ethernet ??

This is a discussion on Wireless or Ethernet ?? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have just got one of those face plates from adsl nation,I can place the router right next to the ...

Richardod is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Upminster
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless or Ethernet ??

I have just got one of those face plates from adsl nation,I can place the router right next to the master socket (which is positioned on a wall next to the front door By a glass window)
      I'm going to try and get a very small rj11 cable made from somewhere to go from the faceplate to the router.
      My question is would it be better for me to buy a wireless card for my pc and have a completly wireless network (also connecting to a wireless enabled laptop) or run an ethernet cable to my pc and only have the laptop on wireless.
      Just really want to know what would give me the fastest connection or is there any difference at all

Thanks for any answers.

2. Advertisement
      Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Wireless or Ethernet ??

Quote Originally Posted by Richardod View Post
      I have just got one of those face plates from adsl nation,I can place the router right next to the master socket (which is positioned on a wall next to the front door By a glass window)
      I'm going to try and get a very small rj11 cable made from somewhere to go from the faceplate to the router.
      My question is would it be better for me to buy a wireless card for my pc and have a completly wireless network (also connecting to a wireless enabled laptop) or run an ethernet cable to my pc and only have the laptop on wireless.
      Just really want to know what would give me the fastest connection or is there any difference at all

Thanks for any answers.

Ethernet - 100mbps

Wireless - 54mbps (or 108mbps if you have a wireless card compatible with the Netgear router's 108 mode).

Max. poss. Sky BB speed - 16 mbps

So ethernet or wireless would both be faster than your actual net connection, so it doesn't really matter. Unless you want faster local network speeds for something.

I personally use ethernet though, simply 'cos the PC is only 6m from the router, & I find wireless a bit flaky sometimes.

stephens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Have your PC connected up via ethernet and you laptop wireless. Ethernet is a lot more stable than a wireless connection

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My experience with an 800megabyte download --- ethernet 10 minutes, wireless 34 minutes. The wireless adapter used was an 11b (11mb max) PCI card. Using an 11g Netgear USB stick (54mb max) the estimated time stretched to over an hour.

Use wireless as a convenience and if poss with a PCI card. But rely on ethernet.

Draig is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sly anymore
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I would certainly agree with what has been said so far; my desktop is setup with ethernet, my laptop is setup with etehrnet in my daughters room and I switch it to wireless for convenience, but ethernet is always better in my experience.

Wireless is ok for browsing, emails, that sort of thing.

Richardod is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Upminster
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks all for all for your replys I'll take the ethernet to the pc and wireless laptop route then.
      Is it still ok to still fit a wireless pci card to the pc anyway (As i have got one now)

Thanks again

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well, you could fit the PCI card as well as an ethernet cable -- for example for creating an ad hoc connection with the laptop for file transfers (though it's easier to use a memory stick).

Personally I'd keep things simple and not install the PCI adapter.