Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Are these face plates ok? and wiring help.

This is a discussion on Are these face plates ok? and wiring help. within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have seen these face plates on Ebay and i was wondering will they do the same job as those ...

DIRTY HARRY is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCCAF
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Are these face plates ok? and wiring help.

I have seen these face plates on Ebay and i was wondering will they do the same job as those from adsl nation? They seem alot cheaper.

SOCKET ON EBAY (CLICK ME).

Also i have had a look at the wiring in the master socket and in the extension socket and the numbers and colours do not match . i.e the master socket has the black wire in number 5 and the extension might have it in number 4 say!

Also the master socket has numbers 2,3,4,5 but the extension has 1,2,3,4,5,6

Now i am a bit worried about which wires to pull out!

Any advice?

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Are these face plates ok? and wiring help.

You pay for what you get, I personnally cannot fault the ADSLNation ones, apart from they charged me for one
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

stephens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Personally when it comes to something like telephone wiring I would not skimp on the money.

It is right that the master socket only has 4 terminals and the extension has 6. Only terminals 2 and 5 are needed. The proper colour coding is blue/white in terminal 2 and white/blue in terminal 5. I am guessing when the wire comes from outside and connects to the master it is a green wire in terminal 2 and a black wire in terminal 5. As long as you remember that you should be fine. For the extension socket it does not really matter what colours you use, just as long as the same colour from terminal 2 on the master goes to terminal 2 on the extension. and the same for terminal 5

adslnation is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Headington, Oxford
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The eBay item is not really a master socket as you should really have a BT NTE-5 master socket installed. Although some houses have old wiring there are some real clear advantages of having the proper BT fitted NTE-5 socket.

The first is that you can fit your own filtered faceplate to it and easily connect your own extensions.

Should you need to troubleshoot the line you can easily unplug the faceplate and connect a phone or modem to the test socket to make sure that the fault is not with your internal wiring. If you do not do this test and BT visit finding a wiring fault they will charge for a visit.

Changing your master socket is in breach of your terms and conditions for supply of the telephone service. By fitting a box that is not a proper master socket such as the eBay item shown you will not have the required components for BT's automated line test or the spark gap for rudimentary lightning protection.

The socket on eBay would be OK for an extension but would really advise against it as a replacement master.

DIRTY HARRY is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCCAF
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adslnation View Post
      The eBay item is not really a master socket as you should really have a BT NTE-5 master socket installed. Although some houses have old wiring there are some real clear advantages of having the proper BT fitted NTE-5 socket.

The first is that you can fit your own filtered faceplate to it and easily connect your own extensions.

Should you need to troubleshoot the line you can easily unplug the faceplate and connect a phone or modem to the test socket to make sure that the fault is not with your internal wiring. If you do not do this test and BT visit finding a wiring fault they will charge for a visit.

Changing your master socket is in breach of your terms and conditions for supply of the telephone service. By fitting a box that is not a proper master socket such as the eBay item shown you will not have the required components for BT's automated line test or the spark gap for rudimentary lightning protection.

The socket on eBay would be OK for an extension but would really advise against it as a replacement master.
      I bought this item then realized when it arrived that it was a full box and not just a faceplate

So i ended up buying one from you guys and i must say it is very easy to install and well worth it

Thanks

adslnation is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Headington, Oxford
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ah, looks like I was to late to help this time, but I'm glad you got it sorted in the end.