Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help

This is a discussion on Help within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have tried my router in the test socket and my speed increased about 3/4 of a meg but i ...

DIRTY HARRY is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCCAF
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Help

I have tried my router in the test socket and my speed increased about 3/4 of a meg but i found it really hard to connect to the router wirelessly (it would connect then when i tried to look at a page it just said timed out ) Does the router need to be hard wired if using the test socket?

The other question i have is i have been looking at the face plates and i have noticed that the adsl socket is on the left and the phone socket on the right but on my master socket it is the other way round!? So if i fitted it would it not mean the adslwill be the same as it is in the same socket that the extension sockets are attached too?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      stephens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Help

To get the stats from the router while connected to your test socket you do not need to be wired up to it. You just need to wire the router up connect wirelessly and login to the router to take a note of your stats.

Im a bit confused as to what you mean the adsl socket and phone socket. For the extension socket is it wired into the faceplate or just plugged into a microfilter at the master socket?

DIRTY HARRY is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCCAF
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stephens View Post
      To get the stats from the router while connected to your test socket you do not need to be wired up to it. You just need to wire the router up connect wirelessly and login to the router to take a note of your stats.

Im a bit confused as to what you mean the adsl socket and phone socket. For the extension socket is it wired into the faceplate or just plugged into a microfilter at the master socket?
      What i mean about the faceplate is this

The ones avalible from ADSL Nation look like this

If you look at the picture you plug your router into the left hand socket and your phone into the right hand socket.

Now

The BT socket looks like this

when it is like this i would put the router into the test socket which is on the right hand side.

Now if i put on the new faceplate that would mean the phone would be going into the test socket and the router into the other socket!

Should it not be the other way round?

Sorry if i did not make it clear.

Also you say that the router does need to be hardwired but then again you say hardwire it and then connect wirelessly ??

Which should it be hardwired or wireless?

thanks

stephens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ahhh, I see what you are saying. The socket on the front of the adsl faceplate on the right is not a duplicate of the test socket. The faceplate takes the feed from the test socket and then uses the microfilter built in to split the feed into filtered (phone connection) and unfiltered (adsl connection).

So basically in answer to what you are asking the positioning of the sockets on the front of the faceplate makes no difference whatsoever.

Maybe I was not clear in what I said before. You can wire the router to your test socket then you can connect wirelessly from your computer to check your stats (You do not need to have a wire between the router and your computer just for checking the stats). As you state you have a bad connection via wireless, so do you have any extension phone sockets in your house? If so disconnect the orange wires from terminal 3 and check your speed at the sockets.