Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What if you have no master socket?

This is a discussion on What if you have no master socket? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am experiencing poor connection speeds so thought i would try the masket socket, only to find i have no ...

Meloe is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

What if you have no master socket?

I am experiencing poor connection speeds so thought i would try the masket socket, only to find i have no master socket for my main line. I have four telephone lines coming into my house, two of which are used for business,both of these have master sockets but they aren't connected to my main home line which sky broadband is on.
      I've searched every socket in the house and even though i have two separate phones numbers for my personal calls there is no master socket. Any ideas of what to do?
      I was receiving BT Business on my business line and syncing at the full 8megs no problem. However now i have moved to sky i am getting 4-6mps maximum. I know i have the 10 day bedding in period but am slightly sceptical that the linespeed with suddenly double. From previous dealings with BT i know my line length from the exchange is 1.2km, and i should be getting 10-14 megs according to dslzone. My line attenuation is 33.0db and the noise margin is well within limits.
      Are there any suggestion how i implement the master socket test without actually having one? Am going to be ordering some improved sockets which i hope will help.
      Thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      burnhamlad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Burnham (THBN)
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: What if you have no master socket?

I have the same problem. I'm pondering calling BT to get a master socket in, but they charge something like 60.

I've got attenuation of 33.5 dB and the exchange is about 1km away.

Speed varies between 6mb-9mb (depending on when the router is rebooted, 9mb connection will due after about 7pm or so)

I know this line should be capable of much more!

Would be interesting to know if you take any action on this, and if you manage to sort things out.

burnhamlad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Burnham (THBN)
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I would have a go at disconnecting the ringwire from each extension - usually connected to terminal 3.

Made a dramatic improvement for me. Maybe it will for you as well?

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I was under the impression it was a requirement for BT to supply a master socket as the master contains surge protectors to protect your equipment and there's. Have you had all the face plates off?? because the old style masters looked the same as extension sockets you can only tell by looking at the back of the plate which will have 3 or 4 components soldered on the it where an extension socket wont. The only other possibility is they have some strange way of wiring it for multi lines.
      If you deffo haven't got a master then I would call BT.
      I have had 3 lighting strikes near to my house i.e. the large green out the front of the house, On 2 of these occasions I heard a loud crack from the master socket like a fuse blowing, this would of been the surge/spike jumping the spark gap protectors in the master, Although I did have one modem fail on the Sky box if think if the master hadn't been there the damage would have been alot more servere.

stephens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

As stated above your master socket could look exactly like an extension socket except it will have extra components inside.

If you were to call BT out saying you have not master when you actually do have one they will charge you for the call out.

If you dont know which socket it is you could always take pictures and post them here.

Koala5 - BT are the ones who should supply the master socket, but they are readily available to buy on the internet. Even the ones with the BT logo on, so there is really no way of knowing it has been changed if it is an official BT socket.

Draig is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sly anymore
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have no master socket, it is a really old thing like a small white brick, and this then connects to an extention socket, and on to other extentions.

I intended to get BT out to fit one, and then rewire from that mastersocket point onwards with better cable and better ADSL sockets to try and improve my line stats to get better speeds.

I called BT to try and explain this to get them to come out and fit one. I understand that if you fit a mastersocket yourself, or even replace a whole BT mastersocket yourself, it is illegal, and they can cut off your service and fine you etc. so it was important for me to pay BT to come and fit one.

I got passed around 3 different departments, including Sales, faults and Broadband, none of them seemed to grasp what I was after, eventually I got told they will come out and fit one for me but they would charge me 130 + 99 an hour to do so! Good greif....

Anyone have any idea how I can get them out to do this at a more reasonable cost?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

There is no way you can get them to do it cheaper. If you had a bad voice line they would come and sort it for free and more than likely put in a master socket.

You could just get them to fit a master socket which would be much cheaper. Then you could sort the rest yourself by buying an adsl faceplate for the socket, however much cable you will need and a few sockets of whatever type you need.

The best place I suggest to look is:

Clarity - Main Entrance - Clarity UK

or here (but they do not sell all that you would need):

adslnation.com - ADSL Products & Services UK

Draig is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sly anymore
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stephens View Post
      There is no way you can get them to do it cheaper. If you had a bad voice line they would come and sort it for free and more than likely put in a master socket.

You could just get them to fit a master socket which would be much cheaper. Then you could sort the rest yourself by buying an adsl faceplate for the socket, however much cable you will need and a few sockets of whatever type you need.

The best place I suggest to look is:

Clarity - Main Entrance - Clarity UK

or here (but they do not sell all that you would need):

adslnation.com - ADSL Products & Services UK
      I think you may have misunderstood what I want them to do. I only want them to fit a mastersocket, nothing else. All the wiring (or re-wiring in this case) and fitting of new sockets I intend to do myself.

Paying 130 + 99 to come and fit a mastersocket is extortion.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

[QUOTE=Draig;54576]I have no master socket, it is a really old thing like a small white brick, and this then connects to an extention socket, and on to other extentions.

Have you looked inside the white brick and the first socket for any components? The brick could be just a junction box?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

That price they have quoted you is wrong. Someone once posted on here the cost and it is a fixed price option. I will try and find it now

EDIT: I have just been looking around and I have seen people say they have been quoted between 70 and 130 for a new master socket. I would say try getting on the phone to BT again and say you need a new master socket fitting, and ask them for a price. On the other hand if you feel up to it you can get a BT master socket off ebay and do it yourself
      Last edited by stephens; 28-02-07 at 02:02 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast