Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Old style bt master socket

This is a discussion on Old style bt master socket within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, could someone help with this please. Iím on the connect package, and have been connected for 3 days now ...

richcfc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: carmarthen
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Old style bt master socket

Hi, could someone help with this please. Iím on the connect package, and have been connected for 3 days now everything seems ok. My BT line enters the house and then is connected to a junction box (i.e. black cable in one end and white cable out the other end) and then to another junction box, and then to the main BT socket (old style). I have my router and phone plugged in here via a filter. Also have a couple of extensions wired in to the socket. Iím about 1.5k from the exchange (straight line). Was told by sky I should get 4.1MB. My stats at present are:

connection speed 3392kbps
      atten 44db
      noise margin 6.9

Would changing the BT master socket to a new type with the filter on the faceplate be worth it or are there too many junction boxes to make any difference. The distance from the BT cable entering the house to the master socket is about 5 metres. Hope this makes some kind of sense to someone.

Thanks for the help

2. Advertisement
      stephens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Old style bt master socket

On the connect package there is a 10 day training period to find the optimum speed of your line, so it is best to wait until after this period to find your true speed.

Using a ADSL faceplate is always good as they have a high quality microfilter inside that is often better than the dangly ones. The speed increase would probably only be small if any.

I would say having the master socket located at where the cable enters your house would yield the best results. You could always just test your actual speed at where the cable enters your house by taking the faceplate off your old style master, take it to the first junction box and connect it up there temporarily. Then connect your router and test your stats.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the help, donít know if Iím up to moving the master socket to test it but I might think about changing in to a filtered one, also Iíve read about removing all the cables in the socket except 2 and 5 is it worth doing that or waiting till the training period is over.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It is best removing all wires except 2 and 5 now, as the rest are not needed. The wire in terminal 3 can cause extra noise on your line.

Gaztops is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Wanadoo/Orange
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Is it best to remove the ring wire during the 10 day training period because if you do it after the 10 days then wouldn't your router be already locked on to the fastest speed and removing the wire would then have no effect.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi just a quick update, I removed the orange wire from all the BT sockets and seem to be getting a better connection speed. Its now at 4288kbps and was as high as 5000kbps this afternoon. Donít know much about the figures but the higher the better, right? When I ordered from sky they said my line was capable of speeds of 4.1MB, do these figures equate to that?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes them figures to equal at least what they state you should get.

1024Kbps = 1Mbs

I think you should be able to get a better speed looking at your attenuation figure, but the speed you are achieving now is the max you can get without altering your internal wiring.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gaztops View Post
      Is it best to remove the ring wire during the 10 day training period because if you do it after the 10 days then wouldn't your router be already locked on to the fastest speed and removing the wire would then have no effect.
      I think if you remove the ring wire after the 10 days and it does reduce the noise on your line, I think the connect package will adjust to find your optimal speed again

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the help everyone, I might change my bt socket for one of those filtered ones anyway. Had a look inside the bt socket today and there are two wires coming in from the junction box, blue/white white/blue. Would I wire these 2 wires and any extensions i have to same connectors ie: 2 and 5 on the new filtered socket, I think this is what I need from adsl nation 1235 XTF-68 Professional Pre-filtered Socket

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

No that socket should not be used as a master socket.

You first need a NTE5 master socket, then you need a XTE-2005 faceplate from adsl nation. Under BTs terms they say you should not replace your master socket. You can get NTE5 sockets from a number of sites, but none will have the BT logo in the top left. You have two options, either wire an extension from your existing old style master socket to a new NTE5 socket (this can be put directly next to your original master socket). Or your second option is buy an official BT NTE5 socket from eBay and replace your old master socket (do this at your own risk, but BT will not really know)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast