Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

For those of you having SNR Problems

This is a discussion on For those of you having SNR Problems within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; For those of you having SNR problems on your connection. You may want to consider considerably higher quality all in ...

13thHouR is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

For those of you having SNR Problems

For those of you having SNR problems on your connection. You may want to consider considerably higher quality all in one socket/filters.

The XTE2005 face plate replaces the front face plate on modern standard BT NTE-5 master telephone sockets. Just unplug the original and press this one into place.

ADSL Nation - XTE-2005 - Filtered Master Faceplate

Or there is the complete replacement units.

XTF 85 (I used two of these as I have two master sockets in my house)

XTF 68 (this is the small more conventional sized box)

ADSL Nation - XTF-68/85 - Pre-filtered Telephone Socket

Both the XTF 68 and 85 have internal screw mounts for pre filtered PSTN extension lines (only for use of PSTN phones, to not attach an ADSL extension on this internal mount)

The performance of these boxes is excellent.

As an example when I used standard plug in filters and the DG834GT router.

8 Mbit Connect Package.

Downstream:
      Line Attenuation = 14.5
      Noise Margin = 8.2

Now
      Down stream:
      Line Attenuation = 18.5
      Noise Margin = 16.5

The gain is quite dramatic.

To explain what this means, compared to previous performance, I now get a similar average downstream rate to users on 16Mbit ADSL2 who use standard splitter filters. Although obviously I am not physically connected at 16Mbit.

Why is this so?

With a better noise margin I have considerably less packet loss, so physically more data reaches my computer, faster. If I was using a normal filter I would have to have a faster feed to compensate for the packet loss that it causes. (This is only a simple explanation comparison)

btw the XTF 85 and 68 are standalone master sockets/filters. Do require a BT engineer to fit them (unless you are qualified like me). They can be fitted by yourself, but you do so at your own risk as it violates your BT contract. So neither this site or I, can condone your actions if you choose to do that.

For most people the considerably cheaper option is the XTE2005 faceplate filter (adsl/pstn), as this only takes a few seconds to fit by yourself and does not require a qualified engineer. However as I mentioned this requires the standard plug in faceplate BT NTE-5 master telephone sockets to be already fitted in your home.

This shows how the inside of your existing socket should look for the face plate to be compatible.

ADSL Nation - XTE-2005 - Filtered Master Faceplate
      Last edited by 13thHouR; 08-02-07 at 02:16 AM.

2. Advertisement
      penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Re: For those of you having SNR Problems

Almost totally agree I've fitted the XTE 2005 faceplate, and also XTF filtered sockets.
      However I don't think it is correct to call the XTF 85 a master socket. It can be used to replace existing extension sockets where you want to get rid of the soap on a rope filters.
      I made the biggest difference to my noise margin by removing the bell wiring from the extenstions as has been covered elsewhere in the forum

13thHouR is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I agree they can replace extension sockets you have that you would normally plug a filter into, but they are intended as master sockets (meaning they need raw unfiltered line feed)

However if using it as master socket, as I mentioned before do not connect your extension inside on the PSTN extension output terminals, as this is pre-filtered output and which only suitable for PSTN telecoms such as phones fax's and dial up modems.

If you want to wire your own extension for your ADSL inside that box it needs to be on the same connections as the line in (which is raw unfiltered).

Or even better get line split off from a master splitter box.

Personally my telecom line runs up to splitter box in my loft. Which feeds a XTF 85 in my kitchen and one in my main computer room.

My next job is to network wire the entire house, then I don't have to have my media servers etc running on WI-FI.

Scrubbless is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Benfleet, Essex
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I fitted one of these a while back and it solved a few problems with my broadbands random drop outs and low/varying speeds. (Im on the Mid Package)

Now I sync at 8056kps down, 412 up, and get downloads of 6-7mbps via ethernet and (since I used the TCP/IP optermiser) im getting 5.5mbps down from my wireless, which is good for the distance my machine is from the router (before TCP/IP optermised i was getting 2.5mbps down on wireless!).

But I don't use the crappy Sky Netgear, I use my Linksys router, since the wireless range/strength is far superiour. Sky router I connect to at 11mbps with an average signal strength. Linksys at the same range+cards etc, I connect at 54mbps with Very Good strength. Before you ask the obvious question check out the Technical Forum
      Last edited by Scrubbless; 09-02-07 at 11:03 AM.