Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

BT - Leading by example

This is a discussion on BT - Leading by example within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Afternoon all, I thought id share with you some pictures of my bt telephone line. I moved into my house ...

ricopico is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wolverton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: TL-WR1043ND (Open-WRT)
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

BT - Leading by example

Afternoon all,

I thought id share with you some pictures of my bt telephone line.
      I moved into my house about 5 weeks ago, infact 2 days before xmas (what a day to move!)

The adsl connection is pretty darn slow! Im aprox 2.8km form exchange (as the crow flies) and most likely a lot further along cable routings ect.

I figured i would try and get a better connection by replacing the crappy old ntl master socket with an NTE5 and using a adslnation front plate. (i know its somewhat again the t&c for BT - oh well) - I was however lucky to get a cheap NTE5 from ebay that is real - ie, it has the BT piper on the front.

So in my quest for a better connection, I follow the bt line to the BT drop line, which is located in my bin cubboard, and this is what i found...

its crazy to think i didnt notice it before, the wires were all tucked up next to the wall.

I called the BT engineer out to fix this crap, - luckely he didnt look in the house at all, (as at this point the nte5 was not sucured to the wall yet).

The bt chap recrimpt my line, (which is the one that currently has the clear cimpts on) and then he stuck a clear platic bag over all the cables, and then use electrical tape to stick the bag to the side of the cubboard! - THATS ALL HE DID!

Anyhow, after all this messing around ect, - my line didnt improve at all, im stuck at 512kb down, 600k up.

I have called sky to see if i can get the line tweaked ect, - the first line support said that someone from tech support would call be back. - never got that phone call, not sure if they can do anything anyway.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BT - Leading by example-dsc00177.jpg   BT - Leading by example-dsc00179.jpg   BT - Leading by example-dsc00180.jpg   BT - Leading by example-dsc00182.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      stephens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: BT - Leading by example

Just out of curiosity, what are your line stats from the router?

Thanks

Im at work at the moment, so i cant give a full readout, if i remember correctly:

line atteniation : 63.5
      margin down : 6.0db

it usually syncs at around 488k'ish if i let it sync itself, however i using the tweak tall, i am able to manually set the margin to 3 to connect at around 640k, or even 720k. - its usually reasonably stable for aporx 24 hours, but will then suddenly loose sync for no reason, and normally reconnect at a much lower speed.

Upload is allways connecting at 640k'ish, it never apears to connect at a lower speed, which is a shame, if only the values could be switched, - download speed is obviously of benifit to me then upload.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You have an extremely poor connection, how long is the cable from your bin cupboard to your master socket?

There could be a problem with this cable especially if it is long.

Thanks

Thanks for helping out stephens, I do appreciate it, although im not too sure if anything will help. But i will comply with any instruction you could give to help!

here's my full line stats as taken from the modem after a reboot (no tweaking)
      System Up Time 00:13:09
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time

WAN PPPoA 321 257 0 173 301 00:04:55
      LAN 10M/100M 1897 1704 0 1410 304 00:13:08
      WLAN 11M 120 19 0 38 3 00:12:59

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 416 kbps 704 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63.5 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.6 db 7.0 db

The drop cable coming in from outside has now been replaced with cat5, i have connected only the 2 and 5 cables to the nte5, and am using a adslnation front plate. The drop cable is approx 1.5 metres long in total. I have currently got the connections from the bt line in the bin cupboard twined together, although i plan to solder them together in order to produce a better connection.. - I know all this replacing the drop cable with cat5 isnt recommended due to BT t&c, but the way i see it, is they will never know, and i think its offensive that they have not maintained the lines to a reasonable standard.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

So the cable in the picture that is connected with the clear plastic crimps has now been changed to cat5 cable?

If this is the case I can not see anything else that could be interfering with the line at your end. The only other thing that could possibly be tried out is connecting the nte5 directly to the BT line in the bin cupboard. Then connect the router to the test socket using an old modem cable without a microfilter. You will then be able to connect to the router via wireless to see your stats.

This will just prove the max your line is capable of, and eliminate any other factors