Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Some Cabling Help Required - Ethernet or Sheilded ADSL???

This is a discussion on Some Cabling Help Required - Ethernet or Sheilded ADSL??? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, first time posting although i've browsed the forums for a while now. I have been with Sky Max broadband ...

zub
      zub is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Upton Park
      Broadband ISP: Getting better, could do with fastpath though :(
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Some Cabling Help Required - Ethernet or Sheilded ADSL???

Hi, first time posting although i've browsed the forums for a while now.

I have been with Sky Max broadband for about three months. Cant say i'm best pleased as my old 2mb connection was waaay better than this one although this one provides slightly higher download speeds (well use to, now Bittorrent is just aweful!). Anyway when i first got connected i got about 10mb sync speed but then this dropped to around 8mb in day time and 7mb in the evenings. i then went on to trying to use the master socket. i had to use a 15metre extension cable for this, but it definetlay improved speeds. daytime i got around 10-11mb and evenings about 8mb-9mb.

Well i thought i'd phone sky up and ask if they could do anything with my line to improve stats as stablilty was still really bad. The guy told me that i may need to be capped down a bit. i specifically told the ******er that i did not want to be capped lower than 10mb. he said ok no problem. Two days later what do i find? i've been capped to ******ing 8mb. phones sky up and told them i specifically said nothing lower than 10mb, i then asked to be uncapped. the *******s said no and said i have to improve my line stats at my end before they do anything! sons of bitches.

well thats my story. i was wondering if any of you could help me with my cabling options. i am going to order a XTE- filter faceplate thingy to install on the master socket which is on the ground floor (and my computer is up on the first floor - as always). so i have a pretty ****ty 15metre telephone extension reel that i am using to connect to the master socket. i am thinking of re-wiring. However my BT Master socket has no extensions coming out of it. there are no wires attached to back of the faceplate once i remover it (to see the test socket behind). when the phone line from outside enters my house it seems to go to a small white box mounted on the wall then it splits in two directions. one cable to an extension on the first floor and one to the master socket. I'm not sure what kind of setup this is??? as everywhere i've read it says extensions should be coming from your Master socket???

a few more questions please:
      1. would removing the ring wire from the extension socket (assuming it has a ring wire) help reduce noise on the line??? i dont see how it can as nothing from that extension is connected to the master socket but someone please correct me if i'm wrong. Also would the master socket have a ring wire of its own??? even though it is not connecting to any other extensions???

2. Does anybody know where i can get my hands on a sheilded ADSL cable of the lenght of 15metres? everywhere i look the max seems to be 10metres. i actually only need about 12metres really.

anyhoo below is an illustration of what i am hoping to do. I need your help to decide which setup is best. I've also looked into those Ethernet wallplug thingys, are these any good??? i like to play online games and so far SKy Max is **** for this purpose, but would this wallplug thing worsen the pings even more.

Any help would be mucho appreciated and Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Forgot to mention my line stats:

ADSL Link...................Downstream..........Upstrea m
      Connection Speed.........8032 kbps.............768 kbps
      Line Attenuation...........32.0 db.................20.5 db
      Noise Margin.................7.9 db.................14.0 db

Stats taken in the evening. In daytime the Noise margin is about 8.8dB and the downstream speed maxes out at 8096kpbs because of the stupid cap on the line.
      Last edited by zub; 04-02-07 at 02:00 AM.

2. Advertisement
      zub
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Some Cabling Help Required - Ethernet or Sheilded ADSL???

anyone got any ideas at all??? any tips? i just would really like to know wither its better to run a long ethernet cable or is it better to run a long sheilded ADSL cable???

Hughjarse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

IMHO - scenario 2 is the way to go.
      You should see no speed loss whatsoever over 15m of ethernet.

zub
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply, anyone else care to indulge?

looks like its time to buy a nice 15metre Cat6 ethernet cable.

DrProzac is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chelmsford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I'd also agree and go for a 15M CAT6 Cable!

This way you've got the least Distance via ADSL

akita is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Trentham WMTRE
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I went with option 2 & it's fine ....
      Rachel

stephens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I may have missed something as I just scanned over your explanation quickly, what are your line stats when you are plugged directly into the test socket.

There would be no speed loss over scenario 2, but to make it neat I would use a cat5e/6 sockets at either end and then use short cable to connect at either end..

Depending on the difference between your extension stats and test socket stats I would consider using cat5e cable to wire an extension socket.

You can buy any required length of cat5e cable from maplin.co.uk or go to your nearest maplin store (needs to be solid core cable).

Your wiring system is set up in the star topology form. (it splits from one point and then goes to 2 locations)

Can you find out what type of wire is used for the extension? (or just say how many cables are inside)

Although scenario 2 will sometimes have a slightly better speed, I always like the router to be next to the main computer.

Here is a very good article on rewiring using cat5e and the results:
      Guide to rewiring internal UK phone wiring
      Last edited by stephens; 04-02-07 at 08:55 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Oh yes, forgot to add.

The good thing about using cat5e is you can try out both solutions.

For example do a proper phone extension from the master socket like in scenario 1. Then if the results are not to your satisfaction, you can buy 2 cat5e/6 sockets, put 1 at either end and then connect as in scenario 2.

zub
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

hi, yes many thanks for all your replies.

i think i will take your advice. i may just wire up anohter extension socket from the master socket using either cat5e or cat6 cable. i also agree i'd rather have the modem close to the computer (i dunno just feels right this way). Gonna order a XTE face plate thingy and about 15m of cat6 cable, and an adsl extension socket and see how this turns out.

i will try and get some pics of the extension socket wiring and please let me know if there is a ring wire present there.

And also the only line stats from the test socket are shown in my first post however this is through a 15m telephone extension cable, so i am assuming this cheapo telephone extension is adding much noise to the overall readings. tomorrow i will attach the router directly to the test socket and unplug the ethernet cable so i do not need to use the telephone extension. I'll then use wireless to see what kind of speeds i can expect to see once i finish this whole extension project. i am expecting noise to drop somewhat as the 15m cheopo extension will be cut out but inevitaly pings and unstability will increase because it'll be over wireless.
      Last edited by zub; 05-02-07 at 01:54 AM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Im sure from your explanation of the extension coming from the junction box there will not be a ring wire but you never know I could be wrong. The only wires needed go to terminals 2 and 5, and the ring/bell wire would go to terminal 3 if one is present.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast