Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Some Cabling Help Required - Ethernet or Sheilded ADSL???

This is a discussion on Some Cabling Help Required - Ethernet or Sheilded ADSL??? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Here's my input, you mentioned that your incoming cable first entered a white box. In most cases the first connection ...

TELEMETRY is offline Sky User Clan Member
      Exchange: Gravesend
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Some Cabling Help Required - Ethernet or Sheilded ADSL???

Here's my input, you mentioned that your incoming cable first entered a white box. In most cases the first connection from the incoming cable would always be the NTE-5 which is the case with my installation. I therefore chanded this for a ADSL splitter from ADSL NATION which is a front for the NTE-5 simply plugging it in and then ran my ADSL cable from there to the router.
      Doing it this way you are removing as many connections as possible and the ADSL signal is split off at source, with your current connection you could get noise being transmitted off of your extension which could then be collected on your ADSL line.
      By the way you are connected at the same rate as me, on GMT possibly and not true ADSL 2+, Sky appear to be doing this a lot of late and I guess it is due to capacity. As with your download variance my noise margin falls into the evening when the load increases on the system at the exchange which can only be corrected by increasing the systems availability.
      I used to be with Pipex, paying 23 ish for my 1mb connection, I now pay 10 for 8mb, I'm happy for now.

P.S You are doing a far lot better than some of the Sky customers, just read through this forum to see the dispair.

2. Advertisement
      stephens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

As stated by TELEMETRY you can just disconnect the extension coming from the junction box temporarily to see if that makes any difference to your line.

zub
      zub is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Upton Park
      Broadband ISP: Getting better, could do with fastpath though :(
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unfortunatley, the upstairs socket is occupied by the only phone of the house. but i dont think it will matter much as both sockets provide almost identical results. but i understand that extra wiring may act as an aerial and pick up extra noise. i will hopefully try and find a gap in the day and see if i can disconnect the wiring.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345