Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Some Cabling Help Required - Ethernet or Sheilded ADSL???

This is a discussion on Some Cabling Help Required - Ethernet or Sheilded ADSL??? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Firstly all the wires behind the master are spares for if you have extra phone lines etc. So these are ...

stephens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Some Cabling Help Required - Ethernet or Sheilded ADSL???

Firstly all the wires behind the master are spares for if you have extra phone lines etc. So these are not needed.

I dont see how it is possible that you have messed up the master socket. Did you say sky had capped you at 8mb, I think it is more likely that something is going on at their end or at your exchange. Try phoning up sky and ask to speak to tier 3, say you are having problems or something. When you speak to them say you have been connected to your master socket and now your speed has dropped and will not increase.

If you think there is a fault with your master socket you can disconnect it and try it with the pre filtered socket you bought for the other end of the extension. If you get the same results then it is not a problem at your end. If you see a big improvement, there is a problem with the master and you can get BT to replace it. Just dont say you messed with anything other than the faceplate.

2. Advertisement
      zub
      zub is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Upton Park
      Broadband ISP: Getting better, could do with fastpath though :(
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok thanks, i will try phoning sky up. by the way the nex XTF extension socket is running straight from the XTE faceplate on the master socket, so the stats are the same for this also. i am completely stumpped here, but i will try give Sky a ring and find out if they can do anything.

zub
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok has been a wierd day. i tried my old extension socket and got the same stats, but then i removed the ring wire from the extension socket and i got a somewhat improved stats:

ADSL Link...................Downstream........Upstream
      Connection Speed..........8096 kbps..........768 kbps
      Line Attenuation.............15.5 db.............20.0 db
      Noise Margin...................8.0 db...............13.0 db

i dont know about you but i dont really trust these stats at all. i mean there is no way i can go from 32.0db down attenuation to 15.5db!!?

i am capped at 8meg so i know 8096kbps is the max i can get right now.

i also noticed when i removed the extension faceplate to remove the ring wire that this extension socket is in fact another BT NTE5 Master socket but is just used as an extension socket. it is physically exactly the same as my master socket on the ground floor, only difference is the A/B wires are wired up to the front face plate and instead of being on the A/B terminals on the back part. i figure this is because my house has a 'star' topology netwrok. So am i right in assuming that these stats should in fact be the same as the master socket downstairs??? as both sockets are independant and not connected to each other and are only connected via the small white box that is present when the line from outside enters my house.

i dont really know what is going on but it seems the ground floor master socket has f'd up some how, and i really dont know how??? I did not touch any of the wires behind i only unscrewed the back part to see if the A/B wires were connected properly then i screwed it back up.

any thaughts???

EDIT: Ok i just done about five more router reboots and i got the following results and i think these are more realistic:

Line Attenuation.............32.0 db.............20.0 db
      Noise Margin...................8.2 db..............13.0 db
      Last edited by zub; 11-02-07 at 09:43 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The line attenuation showing 15.5 is a bug in the router. Like you have done above a reboot is all that is needed to rectify the error. The extension socket must have wires connected to the A/B terminals at the back otherwise it would not work. If wires are connected to the faceplate these are for extensions. What I am thinking now is that your socket upstairs is your master and the one downstairs is an extension from the one upstairs. I may be wrong but it seems possible. This would explain why the stats at the socket downstairs are worse.

zub
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

but the thing is the stats downstairs WERE better than the stats upstairs until about 3 days ago. but after i disconnected the ring wire from the upstairs socket the stats increased in the socket but now i just tried the downstairs master socket again and now the stats of both sockets are the same!!! even though they are not even connected to each other! this is very strange.

in regards to my upstairs socket actually being the master socket, i dont think this is the case. ok heres how things are:

1. the line from outside enters my house.

2. It then goes into a small white box.

3. from here two wires go off in two directions - one to the upstairs NTE5 Master Socket and one to the Downstairs NTE5 Master socket (they are both physically identical)

4. On the downstairs socket the A/B wires are connected to the back part of the socket (the test socket part) - There are no other wires connected anywhere, there are no wires connected to the faceplate part either.

5. On the upstairs socket only two wires are connected to terminals 2 and 5 (there was a ring wire but i have removed this). There are NO wires connected to the back part of the socket (i.e. the test socket part). for example if i were to connect to the test socket here there would be NOTHING, no signal, no dailtone, etc - because there is nothing connected to it. its just sitting there.

6. So therefore both sockets are independant of each other and are NOT connected to each other at all.

Hope this clears things up. i can try taking some pictures so you can see exactly how it is set up.

i think i may give BT a call and tell them my master socket (whichever it is) is not working correctly.
      Last edited by zub; 11-02-07 at 11:34 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have never known of a socket wired up like your one upstairs. I did not think that would even work. I think the most likely thing is that your downstairs socket is faulty in some way.

I dont think there is anything else you can do to make your stats better. With both sockets reporting the same stats it shows both wires probably have no problems with them.

If phoning BT I would tell them there is a problem during calls. Like the line crackles sometimes.

zub
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

yes i know! it is a very wierd setup! but i will double check (or tripple???) and try to get pics up so you can see exactly what is going on.

and yes i read somewhere BT will not do anything unless there something wrong with voice calls. Thanks for reminding me.

Peace.

zub
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok so i never really got round to giving BT a call about the master socket, was kinda really busy. but i let the connection sit for a while. well after about two weeks with my new wiring the stats were the same as i've mentioned.

However tonight i checked into my statistics and i was connected at 7616kbps downstream and 640kbps upstream. so i thaught wtf? so i rebooted the router and i now get:

Line Attenuation.............32.0 db.............20.0 db
      Noise Margin...................10.0 db..............14.0 db

well once again i am stumpped and cannot understand why my noise margin has increased by almost 2 whole db???!!

i think my line can now experience higher speeds, so i'm gonna call up sky and ask for them to finally uncap me the little turds!

EDIT: OK i have been sitting here and wathcing my line stats for only the last five minutes. NO surfing, no downloading etc just watching the statistics (sad i know). but in this time the only thing that fluctuates is the noise margin. in the 3-5 mins i've been sitting here i have watched it from 9.3db to 10.2db go up and down several times! any ideas why in the world the noise margin would be so unstable?
      Last edited by zub; 21-02-07 at 01:24 AM.

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zub View Post
      5. On the upstairs socket only two wires are connected to terminals 2 and 5 (there was a ring wire but i have removed this). There are NO wires connected to the back part of the socket (i.e. the test socket part). for example if i were to connect to the test socket here there would be NOTHING, no signal, no dailtone, etc - because there is nothing connected to it. its just sitting there.

How does that work?

I thought that the faceplate was fed by plugging into the test socket on the back part of the master?

zub
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

its a star topology netwrok. the wires are going straight to the socket on the faceplate and ignoring the test socket. so in effect the actual faceplate socket is acting as if it were the test socket (hard to get your head around i know) i am still trying to get some pics up but am currently waiting for a card reader to get to me!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast