Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Some Cabling Help Required - Ethernet or Sheilded ADSL???

This is a discussion on Some Cabling Help Required - Ethernet or Sheilded ADSL??? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hey thanks again, cleared up a few things. so lemme get this straight, please let me know if this is ...

zub
      zub is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Upton Park
      Broadband ISP: Getting better, could do with fastpath though :(
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Some Cabling Help Required - Ethernet or Sheilded ADSL???

hey thanks again, cleared up a few things.

so lemme get this straight, please let me know if this is the correct procedure or not:

i am going to remove the current BT master socket faceplate and replace it with an XTE-2005 Master Faceplate. From here i get a cat6 cable and use only two wires connecting to the front of the XTE-face plate in terminals 2 and 5 (no need for ring wire). then i set up another extension socket on the first floor and have the cat6 cable run to it. i then wire up two wires to the front faceplate of the new extension socket to pins 2 and 5, and i'm done???

this is what i was planning. by the way does anybody know where i can get the whole body of a socket for the extension socket??? i would like to fit anohter XTE-2005 faceplate to this one also, making, in effect, an exact clone of my master socket that is on ethe ground floor.

Really been a big help so far. Peace.
      Last edited by zub; 05-02-07 at 02:24 AM.

2. Advertisement
      dpearce33 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm a bit new to all this so I am curious. Why is it so much better to use cable when the Sky router is a 108Mbs wireless unit. Wouldn't it be easier just to use a wireless PCI card in the PC?

stephens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zub View Post
      hey thanks again, cleared up a few things.

so lemme get this straight, please let me know if this is the correct procedure or not:

i am going to remove the current BT master socket faceplate and replace it with an XTE-2005 Master Faceplate. From here i get a cat6 cable and use only two wires connecting to the front of the XTE-face plate in terminals 2 and 5 (no need for ring wire). then i set up another extension socket on the first floor and have the cat6 cable run to it. i then wire up two wires to the front faceplate of the new extension socket to pins 2 and 5, and i'm done???

this is what i was planning. by the way does anybody know where i can get the whole body of a socket for the extension socket??? i would like to fit anohter XTE-2005 faceplate to this one also, making, in effect, an exact clone of my master socket that is on ethe ground floor.

Really been a big help so far. Peace.
      You nearly got it all right.

On the back of the XTE-2005 faceplate downstairs you wire up to terminals A and B with the cat5e or cat6 cable (this is because these are the unfiltered terminals, the other terminals are filtered and so are only good for phone extensions).

You should not have a second nte5 socket. If you require the extension to have a built in microfilter to allow a phone to be connected to it as well as your router you need either a XTF-68 or a XTF-85

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dpearce33 View Post
      I'm a bit new to all this so I am curious. Why is it so much better to use cable when the Sky router is a 108Mbs wireless unit. Wouldn't it be easier just to use a wireless PCI card in the PC?
      Although the router is stated to be 108Mbs you will never get that speed. The LAN is quoted to be 100Mbs and you will normally get about 80% of the throughput. The wireless for one can have drop outs. Then even if on your computer it quotes you have an excellent signal this is not always the case. Walls in your house and other electrical equipment interfere with the signal and slow it down. Even standing near to the router with a laptop with a 108Mbs card of the same brand installed it was only possible for me to get 7Mbs of my 14Mbs connection to sky.

In general it is always best to wire computers up, the only exception I have to this is my laptop which I sometimes connect up wired in my study but when I want to watch TV while on it I use wireless. Really it all depends what kind of tasks you are using the internet for.

Eventually when I get the time I am going to add a Ethernet socket to all rooms in my house and run cable from them back to the study

zub
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stephens View Post
      You nearly got it all right.

On the back of the XTE-2005 faceplate downstairs you wire up to terminals A and B with the cat5e or cat6 cable (this is because these are the unfiltered terminals, the other terminals are filtered and so are only good for phone extensions).

You should not have a second nte5 socket. If you require the extension to have a built in microfilter to allow a phone to be connected to it as well as your router you need either a XTF-68 or a XTF-85
      many thanks. i guess i'll go with an XTF-85 extension then, however i only need an extension for ADSL not phone aswell. Would it make a difference really if i went with something else or would this XTF-85 do just fine? (i am assuming the XTF-85 is the better model, correct me if i'm wrong). And also does this XTF-85 come with a backplate aswell for wall mounting??

EDIT: ok just checked they do come with a back box, i also read a review where one customer said the a/b and 2/5 terminals were reversed!? has anybody bought this recently? have adslnation fixed the problem?
      Last edited by zub; 05-02-07 at 02:15 PM.

zub
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ahh would also like to ask what is the difference between UTP an FTP cables??? i know i have to get solid core ones but what about it being UTP or FTP?

EDIT: ok just done some research, looks like FTP cables will provide better protection from noise, however there is this issue of electrical impedencies to match when connecting to a UTP cabel, which is kinda worrying. What do you guys think? what about cat7 cables, any good???
      Last edited by zub; 05-02-07 at 02:59 PM.

Godspeed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: And Mart
      Broadband ISP: MID & Missing my Connect Ping
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've just fitted the XTE-2005 faceplate to my master socket in the hall then run a rj11 to rj11 cable out the ADSL socket up the stairs into my computer room straight into the modem/router.

Can't get more direct and free of extra socket/plugs than that. Connected at 8128 (The rj11 to rj11 is'nt short either)

Cheers

G

zub
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

how long are we talking here?

Godspeed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: And Mart
      Broadband ISP: MID & Missing my Connect Ping
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

WEll i've put it under the carpet going up the stairs so unfortunately I can't measure it that easily but it's got to be at least 30ft.

In it's original configuration it went from a extension socket in the front room, out into the hallways then up the stairs and into the computer room.

That was when I was on a 1mb connection with another provider.

I installed the XTE-2005 on the master which is halfway up the stairs (stupid place i know)and put this rj11 to rj11 under the carpet to the computer room. There is alot of excess now which I've tried not to coil up too much and neatly hide away behind a unit.

HTH

Cheers

G
      Last edited by Godspeed; 05-02-07 at 05:02 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zub View Post
      ahh would also like to ask what is the difference between UTP an FTP cables??? i know i have to get solid core ones but what about it being UTP or FTP?

EDIT: ok just done some research, looks like FTP cables will provide better protection from noise, however there is this issue of electrical impedencies to match when connecting to a UTP cabel, which is kinda worrying. What do you guys think? what about cat7 cables, any good???
      I would personally say just use cat5e UTP. Foil protection is an added advantage, but not really needed in everyday circumstances. cat7 is not needed. As it states in the guide I posted cat5e supports frequencies up to 125MHz and cat6 supports up to 250MHz. ADSL1 runs at 1.1MHz and ADSL2+ runs at 2.2MHz. So you can see the cable far surpasses the requirements. With the cable being high quality and twisted pair cable also reduces interference.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast