Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Maplin ADSL faceplate

This is a discussion on Maplin ADSL faceplate within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Sometime ago I posted a thread asking about the maplin suface mount adsl box. I had bought one before seeing ...

beethoven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRWAL (LLU since Oct06)
      Broadband ISP: connect billed as 17 - 12 = 5
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Maplin ADSL faceplate

Sometime ago I posted a thread asking about the maplin suface mount adsl box. I had bought one before seeing the praise given to one other make.
      Finally I have installed it and it is giving me a much increased speed from what I previously had. I cannot be definite about this because well over a week ago whilst trying to negotiate getting from connect 17 to MAX, which was unsuccessful it resulted in my connection going to dial up speed.
      Anticipating the obvious question on phoning Sky "have you tried the test socket" I decided to install the maplin faceplate.
      As I have an outside terminal box which then runs to the BT box with NTE5 faceplace, I decided that replacing this would give me a harder connection. The maplin device (order code A94CQ ADSL Surface Mount Box) has screw connections (2 to blue with white rings and 5 to white with blue ring standard), and I would hope the usual cap and resistor and spark device, unless you know different......! Plugging the router, using the SKY provided short gray wire, directly into the box produced download speed yesterday lunchtime of 6Mbps instantly. Adding wireless phone base station, ordinary REN wire phone and the all important phone connection to the SKY box made no perceivable difference to speed. This is now bypassing all telephone cable around the house for line extensions - it will now all be taken out.
      Object lesson really is that to get good speed start at either the test socket with an adslnation type faceplate or use a faceplate similar to the maplin one.
      B U T the embarrassing matter for me is that if you google either the order code or maplin+order code the maplin site is not top of the list but SKYUSER and my original post. Well done google for promoting SKYUSER!

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Maplin ADSL faceplate

In the detailed description on that socket on the Maplin web site, under questions, it say that it is not a Master socket, just a filter/splitter built into a faceplate, So I would assume replacing your master socket with one of these wouldn't be a good idea?

stephens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes this is not a master socket and so it is not a good idea replacing your master socket with one of these. I have read many times on here that people have replaced their master socket with the adslnation extension socket. I dont know whether they mis-read the description of the items or just dont think it matters.

The fact of the matter is dont do it. Get a adslnation faceplate or a BT adsl faceplate for an NTE5 socket. If you have no NTE5, get an official BT one from ebay. At the end of the day if you were going to replace your master socket anyway (which is against BTs terms) you should do it properly. If BT ever come out and see an extension socket on a master they will not be impressed.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok I thought that was the case, Next question my router is plugged into an extension anyway and seems to be working quite happily now it is no longer a Sky router!! Can I use this socket to replace the extension socket? and if so do I still need the dangling filters on the other sockets in the house ie Sky box extension phone etc Or would I need to replace all 3 wall sockets for this type to get rid of the filters?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

To get rid of the filters on all sockets you need to have an NTE5 master socket, if you already have one then good. You will need to buy a faceplate from adslnation or some other websites sell the official BT ones. I think both are of the same quality. Then this faceplate goes on the front of the NTE5 master socket. From here extensions can be run either filtered (sockets with just phones on) or unfiltered (sockets which need internet). If you have an unfiltered extension socket this faceplate from maplins will get rid of the dangly microfilter on it.

Do your extension sockets come from your master?

You can list your whole setup and what is connected to each socket (and what you may be wanting to connect to that socket in the future) and I will try to assist you further if you need me to
      Last edited by stephens; 15-02-07 at 06:06 PM.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stephens View Post
      To get rid of the filters on all sockets you need to have an NTE5 master socket, if you already have one then good. You will need to buy a faceplate from adslnation or some other websites sell the official BT ones. I think both are of the same quality. Then this faceplate goes on the front of the NTE5 master socket. From here extensions can be run either filtered (sockets with just phones on) or unfiltered (sockets which need internet). If you have an unfiltered extension socket this faceplate from maplins will get rid of the dangly microfilter on it.

Do your extension sockets come from your master?

You can list your whole setup and what is connected to each socket (and what you may be wanting to connect to that socket in the future) and I will try to assist you further if you need me to
      Right think I got it! so from a proper NTE5 with adsl plate you can take 2 feeds one filtered for phones and one non filter for adsl. My set up is Master old style is in the spare bedroom nothing plugged in to it, Tried router there but get poor wireless reception downstairs. Second on chain is front room where there is Phone/Sky Box/Router all plugged in via one microfilter, third socket dining room nothing plugged in then cable disappears back up to main bedroom where there is a phone with a microfilter on it. My cabling is 6 core CAT5 I think they call it.

So this is sounding good, If I get a proper NTE5 adsl plate I should be able to use the unused cores in the 6 core cable to run seperate phone "filtered" and adsl "non filtered" signals and then pick off what I need at each socket with an appropriate face plate?? The reason for all this is I have just decorated the front room and want to get rid of the clump of cables all plugged into one microfilter with splitter etc it looks a mess. Oh all the cables are underfloor and in the walls so I dont want to start rewiring if I can help it.

beethoven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRWAL (LLU since Oct06)
      Broadband ISP: connect billed as 17 - 12 = 5
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Just to update my original post on this. I have since reinstated the NTE5 and taken two wires from the screws within it to the maplin faceplate. This is taking advantage of the now redundant ntl "NTE5" socket placed next to it when we had ntl installed originally. The components in the NTE5 are in parallel with the wires. Arguably the non legit part may be the hard wiring between the screws on each back plate. Both sockets were sunken into the wall with proper back boxes when redecorating some years ago now. NO speed degradation was observed through this re-arrangement.
      The adsl nation faceplate and similar represent the easiest way for any screwdriver owning diyer to avoid the "soap on a rope" splitters everywhere. The wires to other extensions should come from this faceplate not tucked into the screws at the back. Skyuser wiki has a lot of resources to understand telephone wiring. Do use cat5e wire if you can afford to for extensions.
      My reading of issues on this site really indicates that you need to replan your wiring from the NTE5 socket if you want to get the best speed for BB

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

First off cat5 cable is 8 core/4 pairs. You may have cat3 cable which is 3 pairs. There are two ways for you to do it. You can send a filtered and unfiltered signal all the way around the house or you can just send an unfiltered signal signal to the first extension socket, have a socket with a built in microfilter here. Depending on the type of socket you get, some then only let you send off filtered extensions. So you can then just send filtered extensions to your other sockets. If you are only going to need internet at the first extension, both options I have said are just as good. If you send filtered and unfiltered signals down 2 pairs in the cable you can buy faceplates that are empty and allow you to add 2 modules with sockets of your choice. Then just attach the cable for the other extensions to the filtered connection at the back of this socket and you wont need to touch your other sockets.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok thanks for your advice, I will do some hunting for face plates etc over the coming days, It is not desperate cos everything is working, but something I would like to sort out, well more the misus would like sorted out lol Thanks again for your help.