Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Different speeds in different rooms?

This is a discussion on Different speeds in different rooms? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there... Would be grateful if someone could shed any light on the following stats. I basically live in a ...

nsign77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Colindale
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Different speeds in different rooms?

Hi there...

Would be grateful if someone could shed any light on the following stats. I basically live in a flat where the master socket has been moved into the front room. When I connect the router to the front of the master socket (not the test port behind the faceplate) I get decent speeds which drop depending on which of the two other rooms I then connect to..

Any suggestions on how I could get the speeds in the other rooms up to those of the master socket in the front room..

From reading some of these threads I have the option of changing the faceplate on the master socket or removing the ring wire?

thanks
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Different speeds in different rooms?-stats-frontroom.jpg   Different speeds in different rooms?-stats-bedrm-1.jpg   Different speeds in different rooms?-stats-bed-2.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Different speeds in different rooms?

From reading some of these threads I have the option of changing the faceplate on the master socket or removing the ring wire?
      I would try the ring wire first and if no success thry the new faceplate.

Have you tried the test socket yet? You may be surprised.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks NewsreadeR..

Haven't tried the test socket yet but will give it a go... I only live about 200m from the exchange so was surprised by the 10Mb download speed initially seen but it looks like it's a result of the interference from the internal cabling..

mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

@nsign77

Unfortunately, internal cabling does that and I'd class your findings as normal! The more cabling that the voice and ADSL2+ signals share, the greater the degradation of ADSL2+ signal. (This isn't RF interference I'm refering to - just plain old signal attenuation.) If this is what is happening, the best you can do is improve the quality of internal cabling. You may notice that the speed jumps a little when you connect to the test socket. This is usually due to the rest of the wiring being disconnected and therefore cuts out any RF interference - a difference kind of problem to the one above.

FWIW, I had the same problem. I installed a faceplate signal filter from ADSL Nation, put the router straight into the faceplace (which cuts the RF interference and hences gives the same sync speeds as the test socket but still allows the voice band to travel around the house) and then used wireless to connect the PCs and laptops. Frankly, it's a horrible solution because it's adds latency to the network but without a CAT5e/6 LAN running around the house, it's the best I could get.
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks Mossywell...

Well I tested the router in the test port behind the faceplate and the download speed was the same as the font of the faceplate @ 15323..

After removing the ring wire and reconnecting back in the bedrm I got the following:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 15323 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 13.5 db 7.6 db
      Noise Margin 14.3 db 13.5 db

It's amazing how a single wire can degrade the signal over a few ft...

thanks guys... now I just need to resolve my wireless dropouts and I'm all set....

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Think I spoke too soon... the speed has dropped nack down to 10648

back to the drawing board

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Not necessarily. You've made a big stride forward in the investigation by demonstrating that (as we originally asserted) you don't have an RF interference problem, which takes us to the conclusion that it is attenuation on your internal wiring that it the problem. It may not be the conclusion that you wanted to hear, but it is a conclusion nevertheless.
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Very true....

so am I right in assuming that a new faceplate would not really benefit me then as I need to have the router plugged into a socket in another room..

I can already plug into the front of the master socket and receive close to 16Mb. All a faceplate would give me is the ability to run a seperate cat5 cable to the other room.. There is no way to use the current internal cabling to provide the same signal in the other room...

btw.. I only disconnected the ring wire in the master socket.. does this need to be done in the extensions also??

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

That would be my conclusion: a new faceplate will give you two outputs out the front: a voice line and a data line, and two outputs out the back: a voice line and a combined voice and data line. (I am not aware of any that give you a data-only signal out the back.) The combined voice and data line is simply an extension of the A and B wires - i.e it bypasses all the filtering hardware. So, if you do have to plug the router into a different room, then I can't see any mileage in a filtering faceplate from this perspective. That said, theory and practice don't always meet in ther middle!

Re the ring wire, assuming that none of your extension sockets have a capacitor in them to "recreate" the ring circuit (which is possible but unlikely), then disconnecting it as the master will suffice.

As I mentioned, I had the same issue as you and opted to keep the router plugged into the master socket onto which I put a filtering faceplate. I then (or will as I haven't done it yet) run CAT5e round the house from the router's ethernet ports. (In the absence of the CAT5e, I'm using wireless.)

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Not wishing to step on any toes, personally I'd fit a quality filtered replacement faceplate and, ideally, run a dedicated extension for the router from the unfiltered terminals. This will isolate any impact from other extensions which will all be filtered.

It will cost less than 15, take 2 minutes to fit, avoid the need for some/all microfilters and will provide a better level of filtering than the Sky supplied ones by far. Whilst the ability to filter RF noise is a large part of the improvement often seen, remember what you are trying to achieve is any noise from any source (which can include harmonics and changes in impedence) interfering with your ADSL signal.

A filtered replacement faceplate may not improve things (though I have a sneaking suspicion you'll find it will) but it's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

YMMV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast