Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

BT Old Style Bt Box

This is a discussion on BT Old Style Bt Box within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by pete_vo ADSL Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 8096 kbps 768 kbps Line Attenuation 29.0 db 19.5 db ...

youravinalarrrf is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: MYBD
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Unlimited Broadband
      Router: Plusnet Hub Zero 2704n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: BT Old Style Bt Box

Quote Originally Posted by pete_vo View Post
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8096 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29.0 db 19.5 db
      Noise Margin 12.1 db 14.0 db
      @pete_vo: I might be wrong but your connection speed (8096kbps) and noise margin (12.1db) don't look right and suggests to me that your connection may possibly have been capped for some reason?

@Gaztops: With respect you are incorrect in this instance. I am in agreement with cazzbar on this one.

I have fitted both the XTE-2005 and the XTF-68 into my internal wiring configuration and have seen marked improvements in both my connection and download speeds. The XTE-2005 faceplate does fit onto the front of the NTE5 - it just sits proud with the sloping top edge matching the top edge of the NTE5 backbox. The advice given by ADSL Nation to fit an NTE5 master socket (backbox) with an XTE-2005 filtered plate on top is correct and is the way to go in this instance. The end result is a single master socket with both phone and adsl outlets. The internal connections available then give you the option of feeding a pre-filtered signal to your phone/voice only extensions (from connections 1-6) or an unfiltered adsl signal to any extensions where you may want your router/adsl (from connections A-B) where an XTF-68/85 may be fitted again giving you both phone and adsl outlets from one extension socket.

2. Advertisement
      Gaztops is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Wanadoo/Orange
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

@ youravinalarrrf and cazzbar......No problem, I stand corrected

Could I just ask what's inside a XTE-2005, is there connections for the incoming line like the NTE5 with A,B and E screw terminals. If so this XTE-2005 could totally replace the NTE5.

youravinalarrrf is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: MYBD
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Unlimited Broadband
      Router: Plusnet Hub Zero 2704n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

This XTE-2005 is just a faceplate the main A & B external BT connections remain connected to the NTE5 backbox.

These links might help:-

XTE-2005 Master Socket Faceplate Only

XTE-2005 Technical Specification

XTE-2005 Instalation Guide.pdf

XTF-68/85 Extension Socket (including backbox)

XTF-68/85Technical Specification

XTF-68/85 Installation Guide.pdf

pete_vo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: moss side
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by youravinalarrrf View Post
      @pete_vo: I might be wrong but your connection speed (8096kbps) and noise margin (12.1db) don't look right and suggests to me that your connection may possibly have been capped for some reason?

@Gaztops: With respect you are incorrect in this instance. I am in agreement with cazzbar on this one.

I have fitted both the XTE-2005 and the XTF-68 into my internal wiring configuration and have seen marked improvements in both my connection and download speeds. The XTE-2005 faceplate does fit onto the front of the NTE5 - it just sits proud with the sloping top edge matching the top edge of the NTE5 backbox. The advice given by ADSL Nation to fit an NTE5 master socket (backbox) with an XTE-2005 filtered plate on top is correct and is the way to go in this instance. The end result is a single master socket with both phone and adsl outlets. The internal connections available then give you the option of feeding a pre-filtered signal to your phone/voice only extensions (from connections 1-6) or an unfiltered adsl signal to any extensions where you may want your router/adsl (from connections A-B) where an XTF-68/85 may be fitted again giving you both phone and adsl outlets from one extension socket.
      I think my line is capped too even tho sky is claiming its not, i'm waiting on a call back from them in a few days......

I have ordered the NTE 5 and the the XTE 2005 now so i will post my results on again once its all fitted.

Gaztops is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Wanadoo/Orange
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Very informative links, thanks

cazzbar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South West: SSSOU
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well, fitted my new XTE2005 faceplate last night (unfortunately the phone socket doesn't work but ADSL Nation have happily offered a replacement).

Previously my router was syncing at 4.5Mb/s from a phone extension socket upstairs and I was getting about 2Mb/s actual d/l speed via ethernet. Ran TCP Optimiser but to no effect. But moving the router downstairs and going into the test sock I achieved 8Mb/s sync speed (never performed an actual d/l test as ethernet too short and wireless too weak).

After fitting the XTE2005 my router sync speed via the ADSL socket over a short modem cable remained unchanged at 8Mb/s (didn't expect any increase over the test socket speed but some members have reported increases there). Purchased a long ethernet cable to connect to my PC upstairs and performed an actual d/l test with a result of 4.5Mb/s. A lot better than my original 2Mb/s, but I was still hoping for about 85% of my sync speed. So I ran the TCP Optimiser program again. Rebooted, and my actual d/l speed jumped to 7Mb/s !!

As a 'proper' test, I downloaded a 52MB file from Sun.com... 1 minute and 25 seconds! averaging about 750KB/s i think... at one point it said I was downloading at over a megabyte a second! Amazing

I now just have the decision of either keeping the router downstairs and running a long ethernet cable, or moving the router back upstairs and running a long twisted modem cable. Modem cable may be slightly easier to conceal.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just an update on my stats after a full upgrade on getting the NTE5 box and the XTE2005 face plate with a better RJ11 cable.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8096 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29.0 db 19.5 db
      Noise Margin 12.2 db 14.0 db

No change in stats what so ever

Guess its time to wait for sky to give me a call back to why my connect so low

marklid is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Looks like you're on ADSL rather than ADSL2 - with those starts you should be fine on ADSL2 - give tech support a bell (using the freephone number) and explain the situation, and ask to be put through to tier 3 tech support who should be able to mve you onto ADSL2 - be prepared to hang for a while for tier 3.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marklid View Post
      Looks like you're on ADSL rather than ADSL2 - with those starts you should be fine on ADSL2 - give tech support a bell (using the freephone number) and explain the situation, and ask to be put through to tier 3 tech support who should be able to mve you onto ADSL2 - be prepared to hang for a while for tier 3.
      yeah tried that but it was the first time i called and there isnt anything wrong with the connection in terms of faults so they wouldnt pass me thro to tier 3, could only produce a ticket for me and i have to wait for a call back. not sure if they do actually call customers back, only time will tell. will try again on the weekend if i dont hear from them

madman11 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSNOR
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hey all.

I have the old style master box from BT as well, not the one with the test socket.

I have the same problem pete_vo had. My snr isn't great and i have tried the ringwire trick but it did nothing at all for me.

I was thinking about replacing my BT master box with a NTE5 box and then geting a filtered face plate but i know this is illegal and against BT's TOS. Bt can fine you / cease your service if they ever find out you fiddled with your master box by replacing it.

That, my friends, is what is putting me off replacing my old master socket.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast