Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

BT Old Style Bt Box

This is a discussion on BT Old Style Bt Box within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; If your box is the BT master socket as in the picture I gave you the link for, all you ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: BT Old Style Bt Box

If your box is the BT master socket as in the picture I gave you the link for, all you are changing is the faceplate. This is 100% legal.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

2. Advertisement
      pete_vo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: moss side
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      If your box is the BT master socket as in the picture I gave you the link for, all you are changing is the faceplate. This is 100% legal.
      I'm afraid I have the old style bt box (there is no test socket) which means that whatever i change to i will need to replace the whole box.

But I just need confirmation to which box i can change to which will be legal!

Sorry for begin a pain and thanks a lot for your help so far

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Officially you cannot do it yourself

Unofficially you can and it will cost less than about 15.00 and is really simple, however if you are not competent to touch it, then don't.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well ok as long as BT dont find out i guess....

You got a link to where i can get the replacement box, i assume it will have the filter built in?

Thanks

Thanks
      Blog Entries

ADSL Nation - XTF-68/85 - Pre-filtered Telephone Socket

Give Darren an email there and ask him to look at this thread, he can advise you better

ADSL Nation On-Line Shop

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      ADSL Nation - XTF-68/85 - Pre-filtered Telephone Socket

Give Darren an email there and ask him to look at this thread, he can advise you better

ADSL Nation On-Line Shop
      Thanks a lot for these links. I will contact darren in the morning

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I was on the phone to ADSL Nation On-Line Shop today and the guy advised me that the best solution is to get a N.T.E 5 box and then get the XTE 2005.

When i asked about the ADSL Nation - XTF-68/85 - Pre-filtered Telephone Socket he stated that this was for extensions only but there own site seems to suggest that it can be used for the master socket as well as an extension socket.

So i am a little confused but will take on his advise.

If anyone else has any other suggestions then please let me know, i will be ordering the N.T.E 5 box later tonight otherwise...

Thanks
      Blog Entries

I would take their advice, I was not to sure when I posted the link, hence asking you to contact them.

Gaztops is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Wanadoo/Orange
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like you have been advised to fit a NTE5 and also fit a XTE 2005 next to your NTE5 with a cable linking the two together because the XTE 2005 can't be fitted over the top of an NTE5 with the faceplate removed. It doesn't look as though it would fit.

I would buy and NTE5, fit it youself then do what everyone else has done and get yourself a NTE-2005 Master face plate which does actually fit the NTE5 Master Socket.

The end result will mean that you will have a single socket intsead of two along side each other.
      Last edited by Gaztops; 09-01-07 at 02:31 PM. Reason: typo

cazzbar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South West: SSSOU
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gaztops View Post
      Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like you have been advised to fit a NTE5 and also fit a XTE 2005 next to your NTE5 with a cable linking the two together because the XTE 2005 can't be fitted over the top of an NTE5 with the faceplate removed. It doesn't look as though it would fit.

I would buy and NTE5, fit it youself then do what everyone else has done and get yourself a NTE-2005 Master face plate which does actually fit the NTE5 Master Socket.

The end result will mean that you will have a single socket instead of two along side each other.
      With respect I really hope what you've posted is wrong! I replaced my old BT master socket with the new style NTE5 master socket over the weekend and currently have an XTE2005 replacement faceplate for it sitting in my letterbox at home! ADSL Nation says on its website "XTE2005: Replaces the existing faceplate on the standard BT NTE-5 master telephone socket"

I've just done a search on the ADSL Nation forum and found this post by Tech Support:
      Quote Originally Posted by support

The only difference between the BT fitted faceplate and the NTE-2005 is that the 2005 has extra unfiltered terminals not included on the BT version. We get the NTE-2005 from the manufacturer that BT uses called Pressac. We just have them make them with extra terminals on for running an ADSL extension.

The XTE-2005 is the latest model that is made to our design, using the same high quality fiilter circuit as the XF-1e filter. The XTE-2005 performs better on ADSL Max and ADSL 2+.
      So it seems the way to go is to replace the old style master socket with an NTE5 (and not the XTF 68/85 sockets as they're designed for extensions) and buy the XTE2005 replacement faceplate, well I hope so anyway... I'll let you know for sure tomorrow!

edit: By the way, after taking advice from this site and installing my new NTE5 master socket and connecting my router straight into the test socket, my sync speed went from 4500Kbs to 8000Kbs! So big thanks for all the great information here
      Last edited by cazzbar; 09-01-07 at 03:24 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast