Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Would spur to old BT modem breakup signal?

This is a discussion on Would spur to old BT modem breakup signal? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; If I remember correctly, when I first got BT broadband the engineer added a front plate (/splitter) to the main ...

tomtom is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Scotstoun
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Would spur to old BT modem breakup signal?

If I remember correctly, when I first got BT broadband the engineer added a front plate (/splitter) to the main box in the hall but, there's also a box in the living room that my old Alcatel flat fish modem used to plug directly into. I'm pretty sure the living room box is wired into the main box in the hall. Will this reduce the speed of the data arriving at the router?

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Would spur to old BT modem breakup signal?

Compare your router connection speed plugged into its normal socket and then plugged into the test socket which you'll find behind the faceplate of the master socket.

If you get a jump in speed this would indicate that some internal wiring is adding noise. It also indicates that you probably need to replace the BT fitted filtered faceplate with a newer one (they can degrade over time).

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Tried that earlier Saturday. No change . My actual speed (~9.5 mbps) falls some way short of my supposed speed (15mbps) so, I was hoping this might be the cause. Could it be that the cabling for the spur took place before the signal split (the living room extension looks like a splitter as well)?

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

It's possible that the spur is taken off before the master socket.

Is the spur still active when the master socket faceplate is removed (this should stop all extensions working as they would normally be wired to the faceplate). If the spur is/was for an ADSL connection then running it from the back of the master socket not the front would be right.

When you say your actual speed is lower than your supposed speed do you mean router reported speed and speed site reported speed?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      It's possible that the spur is taken off before the master socket.

Is the spur still active when the master socket faceplate is removed (this should stop all extensions working as they would normally be wired to the faceplate). If the spur is/was for an ADSL connection then running it from the back of the master socket not the front would be right.?
      I'll take a look at that later Saturday. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      When you say your actual speed is lower than your supposed speed do you mean router reported speed and speed site reported speed?
      After hassling sky for a few weeks (and getting nowhere) I complained to the ISPA (see my '400m from exchange' thread in 'Speed tests and how to get ...' section) and my connection speed (as shown in Netgear Gateway) went from 8096 to 15323. My actual speed, using Namesco BroadbandMax ADSL Broadband Bandwidth speedtest | Test your ADSL Broadband connection speed suggests I've went from around 6.7mbps to 9.8mbps. The latter figure is very disappointing given my line attenuation (~20) and noise margin (~14).

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It turns out the splitter in the living room plugged into the main splitter in the hall (I had stuck the hall end of the cable under the carpet as it was no longer needed) so, that obviously isn't affecting my speed. I opened up the bt master socket and found two wires going into terminals B & E (I think) with the rest lying loose which I gether is the norm. Can anyone else think of a reason why I'm only getting around 9.5 mbps (wired or wireless) with the following stats?

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 15323 kbps 766 kbps
      Line Attenuation 21.5 db 11.8 db
      Noise Margin 13.5 db 11.0 db