Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Noise on telephone line since move to sky BB

This is a discussion on Noise on telephone line since move to sky BB within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; The setup I now have with Sky BB is exactly the same as it was for BT BB apart from ...

tomtom is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Scotstoun
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Noise on telephone line since move to sky BB

The setup I now have with Sky BB is exactly the same as it was for BT BB apart from the change of router. The router plugs directly into the BT main box which is an ADSL splitter. All the phone points in the house run from an adaptor which plugs into this BT main box (i.e. it's one of those B&Q phone extension kits where the extension boxes are already wired) and the offending phone is plugged into this adaptor. Note that no sky supplied splitters are required for this setup as all phone points are "after" the signal split. All the phones are standard NON-wireless ones.

Can anyone fathom this.

1) As soon as the modem is switched on and receives data you can hear a continuous clicking noise through the phone earpiece. This only happened after the move to sky BB.

2) Removing the faceplate, plugging a sky splitter directly into the test socket and plugging the phone into the other end of the splitter makes no difference.

3) The continuous clicking can't be heard on any other extension unless the offending phone is lifted.

4) If I replace the offending phone with a different phone the noise disappears.

Number 4 makes me think it's the phone that's at fault but a) the "fault" only appeared the moment we changed over to Sky BB and b) why is the "fault" only apparent when the router is on?

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Noise on telephone line since move to sky BB

I think you've pretty much answered this yourself.

The phone is definitely at fault. Why this is only evident since you moved to Sky could be because Sky Max is ADSL2+ and this transmits on a much wider frequency range than the BTBB you were on (that's just a guess - I haven't a clue really )

tomtom is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Scotstoun
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Noise on telephone line since move to sky BB

You could be right Saturday. It may be down to the change from 8.02.11b to 8.02.11g in the router.