Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Anything I can easily do or not bother?

This is a discussion on Anything I can easily do or not bother? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My connection keeps dropping due to a bad noise margin I think (around5-8) and it needs a reset to work ...

hgaule is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blackburn
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Anything I can easily do or not bother?

My connection keeps dropping due to a bad noise margin I think (around5-8) and it needs a reset to work again. I had this problem with my old ISP and they had to lower my sync speed to resolve the problem (which id rather not do). My attenuation is about 56down. I think the problem is mainly due to dodgy wiring in the house.

The phoneline comes in and is connected to a junction box which then has 1 cable running to the 1st socket in the house (not NTE5) The socket then has another cable (connected to the same ports as the main wire) which goes off to the rest of the house. Its kind of like a piggy back if u get me.

Is there any way I can seperate the rest of the internal wireing from this 1st socket/ADSL Signal to reduce interference. Ideally I would like an ADSL nation faceplate but I don't have an NTE5 socket to replace it with. If i had to install a NTE5 socket would it be better doing it where the line comes in with the junction box or replacing the 1st socket in the house? Its not my house so cant do too much messing about.

Hope this makes sence.

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      The best course of action here would be to fit a new NTE5 with a ADSLnation filtered faceplate beside your current master socket. Then simply connect the new NTE5 to it and run everything from this.

Gaztops is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Wanadoo/Orange
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      This is my set up.

I have a Block Terminal 77a (white junction box about the size of a match box)

From the BT 77a I have a cable running to a NTE5 to service my phones.

I also have another cable running from the BT 77a to a seperate room (where my computer is) with another NTE5.

So in theory I have a dedicated line from the BT 77a (junction box) for my broadband.

The "Junction box" is only there to connect external wiring to internal wiring.

hgaule is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blackburn
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

@Saturday

Do u mean connect the NTE5 to the original master socket? or connect it to the line coming in then connect the old main socket + others to the NTE5? Or would it just be easier to replace the current main socket with an NTE5 alltogether?

Gastops I can't really seperate my line with two seperate boxes its not my house and the landlady wouldn't like too much messing about. My router is plugged in where the current main socket is anyway so no need.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      • Fit new NTE5 with filtered faceplate next to master socket.
      • Disconnect any extensions wired into the master socket and connect to the new NTE5
      • Connect master socket to new NTE5
      • Disconnect any extensions wired into the master socket and connect them to the new NTE5 (note: any extension which has a router on it must be connected to the unfiltered terminals).

You probably aren't legally allowed to simply replace the master socket yourself, although, as you have a junction box before your master socket that's not entirely clear - a bit of a grey area.