Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

2 ADSL services, different speeds - could it be faceplate/cabling?

This is a discussion on 2 ADSL services, different speeds - could it be faceplate/cabling? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi - I'm bit puzzled, having 2 services with completely different speeds using much the same cabling... I have 2 ...

kc1
      kc1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wimbledon
      Broadband ISP: 8meg
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

2 ADSL services, different speeds - could it be faceplate/cabling?

Hi - I'm bit puzzled, having 2 services with completely different speeds using much the same cabling...

I have 2 services coming into the house, both with ADSL:

One has Bulldog 8 meg and the Bulldog phone ‘service’

The other has Sky 8 meg (which I’m trying as a potential replacement for the bulldog one above) and a BT phone service.

Both services are cabled through a single master socket, and then both are extended upstairs using a single 6-core telephone extension cable (The BT engineer who installed it said it was simpler), where one (the bulldog service) is cabled into a BT NTE2000 box, and the other (Sky +BT phone) into a standard phone socket with a micro-filter plugged in.

The bulldog line has 3 extensions, two with devices & micro-filters plugged in. The BT/Sky line has only one extension – the one with the modem plugged in.

Both modems are Netgear DG384GT (the sky one is branded)

Stats for the Bulldog ADSL
      ADSL Link Down Up
      Connection Speed 6376 kbps 576 kbps
      Line Attenuation 36.0 db 19.0 db
      Noise Margin 9.6 db 15.0 db

Speed tests for this one show download speeds between 5 & 6 meg

Stats for the Sky service
      ADSL Link Down Up
      Connection Speed 8128 kbps 1188 kbps
      Line Attenuation 35.0 db 18.5 db
      Noise Margin 5.3 db 30.0 db

Speed tests for this one show download speeds of between 2 meg

My questions to anyone who can help…

Can the difference in speed be explained by the fact the sky service comes via a micro filter, rather than an NTE box?

If not, given the performance difference where should I start in working out how to improve the Sky speed?

Thanks in advance!

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      The quality of the filtering will make a difference though it's hard to say at this point whether it is the difference.

What I can see is that the noise margin on your Sky service was low enough at the time you measured for this to affect transmission speed (you'll be generating transmission errors).

Reboot your Sky router and the noise margin should then be at ~7db. Then try a speed test.

Speed tests should be done with an ethernet connection. Just checking - you're not wireless are you?

Next point is that I'm a bit puzzled by your description of the Sky connection: standard BT socket with microfilter (OK) with an extension plugged in then the router (not OK)? I'm probably reading it wrong but if I'm not then the router must not be plugged into an extension which is plugged into a microfilter. It should be socket > extension > microfilter > router.

One other thing - strange stats on your Sky connection. An upstream of 1188kbps is most unusual (very high). On the Mid service this would usually be ~400kbps.
      Last edited by Saturday; 02-01-07 at 08:50 PM.

kc1
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply,

Rebooting got the Noise margin to 6.6, and speed to 2475 (& yes it is via ethernet).

Perhaps I wasn't clear with the term 'extention'. the Signal goes...
      from the BT master socket to bt phone socket upstairs, via BT installed cable, into which is plugged the micro-filter, into which is plugged the sky/netgear modem (and a telephone).

1188 for the upstream was a typo - should have read 288.

I've read somewhere else something about waiting 10 days for things to settle down. I'm on day 9 & it's been pretty much the same since I first connected.

Could the issue be anything to do with have both voice and ADSL signals traveling along pairs in the same BT cable throughout the house (ie from the master socket to the extension sockets upstairs)...although I havent noticed any degradation in speed from the bulldog service (running for a year or so), when the sky service was activated.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      OK - I'm a bit less confused but not quite there yet

You described your connection as "8meg" so I assumed that you were on Mid. However you then talk about a training period and that only applies to Connect.

If you are on Connect and are still in the 10 day period then that certainly could explain the current slow speeds. Not just the fact that during this period the exchange is determining the optimum stable speed for your connection but also because as it is using the BT network, you are possibly more liable to experience congestion and contention than if you were on a Sky LLU product.

If indeed you are on Mid then your connection stats are still a bit odd even without the correction you've made.

Not sure what you mean about voice and ADSL "traveling along pairs in the same BT cable". If you mean one pair is used for a phone extension and another for an ADSL extension then this should be OK as I'm assuming the cable you refer to would be to at least cat5 standard and the twist arrangement should handle this no problem.

kc1
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It's mid, I think. I've got a margin of 7.3 now, speed is the same.

The cable goes like this:

Exchange:______
      .......................|
      ......................[_] Master Socket
      .......................|
      .......................|<----This is a single standard BT cable (not Cat5e)
      .......................|
      .......................|
      .......NTE2000 [_][_] Ordinary 'extension socket'
      ................... ||..|
      .........Fax ___||..[_] Micro filter
      .....................|...||
      ........DG394gt [_]..||___[_] Sky DG394gt box
      ......................|...|........|
      ..........PC1 [_]_|....|........|_[_] PC2
      ...........................|
      ........................Phone

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Good diagram

OK - well, Mid doesn't have any training period, so that's one thing out the way.

I'm not too sure about the cable. I suppose if it's just a standard BT cable then there's a chance you'd get some form of cross-talk between them but then I'd have thought it would affect both services not just the Sky one.

The only other thing that is different is the filtering. So my guess it's that possibly compounded by the cabling (Sky Mid is ADSL2+ and this uses a much larger frequency band and cabling can be critical) though this doesn't seem the likely cause of the issue.

My steps now would be to fit a decent filtered faceplate and consider running another cable from the master socket and switching the Sky connection to this. I'd also consider disconnecting the ring wire on your existing set up.

EDIT: It's just dawned on me now I've seen your diagram that you are using two different PCs. Have you ruled that out of the equation? If you connect the PC that's currently connected to the Bulldog service to Sky do you still get the same results? I'd say the PC looks the favourite cause of the bottleneck. Have you optimised the slow PC's TCP/IP settings?

HTH
      Last edited by Saturday; 03-01-07 at 05:11 PM.