Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Junction box?

This is a discussion on Junction box? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; You can't change the faceplates on extension sockets. The faceplates from adslnation only fits NTE5's. You will have to fit ...

Gaztops is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Wanadoo/Orange
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      You can't change the faceplates on extension sockets. The faceplates from adslnation only fits NTE5's.

You will have to fit micro-filters.

2. Advertisement
      SilverJDM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bracknell
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gaztops View Post
      You can't change the faceplates on extension sockets. The faceplates from adslnation only fits NTE5's.

You will have to fit micro-filters.
      If I fitted 2 additional 'master sockets type' where my extensions are, is it possible for me to fit 3 XTE-2005, the reason for this is that I'm trying to do away with trailing micro-filters

youravinalarrrf is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: MYBD
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Unlimited Broadband
      Router: Plusnet Hub Zero 2704n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Junction box?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyJG View Post
      If they are not BT modifications and you feel competent one way would be to remove all the extensions from the box outside (just cut the wires close to the crimp connector but make sure you cut the right ones!) and just have your incoming line going through to the NTE5.Then wire your extensions from there.You could then fit a filtered faceplate and a separate feed for your router (which from personal experience I highly recommend).
      This seems to be the most sensible way forward in your particular case then fitting an XTE2005 filtered faceplate to your NTE master socket then simply hardwiring a new cable from there to your extension for ADSL. If you require voice as well as ADSL at your extension point/s you could fit an XTF68 (which is what i did)

XTF-68 Professional Pre-filtered Socket

Here's the how to do it bit:-

found at:-

http://forum.adslnation.com/viewtopic.php?t=705&sid=bb1e209fe40c0dd5ae9762f774 8aa29d

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by youravinalarrrf View Post
      This seems to be the most sensible way forward in your particular case then fitting an XTE2005 filtered faceplate to your NTE master socket then simply hardwiring a new cable from there to your extension for ADSL. If you require voice as well as ADSL at your extension point/s you could fit an XTF68 (which is what i did)

Sorry if this is confusing...

I don't want to add any more cables, all my sockets (1 master + 2 extensions) come from a central point (including the master) which is the grey junction box (BT66) which is attached to the outside wall at the front of the house. So if I replaced the 2 extensions with master sockets I would in affect have 3 master sockets enabling me to fit 3 x XTE-2005 so that all 3 are filtered, this way I can plug a phone into any of them with out having to use a micro-filter, would this work?

youravinalarrrf is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: MYBD
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Unlimited Broadband
      Router: Plusnet Hub Zero 2704n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Confusing........you're not kidding!!!

Now i've read it again a slightly cheaper way to achieve what you want, bearing in mind that your actual "master socket" is the Grey box (BT 66)outside, would be to fit 3 x XTF68 Professional Pre-filtered Sockets @ 8.99 each (instead of 3 x 12.00 each for the XTE2005's plus the cost of the additional 2 x NTE boxes.)

Just fit 1 at each outlet - this gives you both phone and ADSL option at each location and no dangly filters.

Just to be on the safe side perhaps you should PM user 'adslnation' and ask him to read this thread and confirm that this is indeed the best option for you to achieve what you want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The BT 66 grey box outside is not your master socket, it is used as a junction box. Master sockets are always internal never outside.

A Block Terminal 66 was origonally designed to provide up to 5 telephone services to one building or two adjoining houses. BT Installation Engineers then started to use them to provide extensions to the upper floors of homes in order to avoid extensive internal cabling. (cables running up the stairs through ceilings etc)
      Last edited by Gaztops; 05-01-07 at 04:15 PM.

Thanks

The BT 66 grey box outside is not your master socket, it is used as a junction box. Master sockets are always internal never outside.

A Block Terminal 66 was originally designed to provide up to 5 telephone services to one building or two adjoining houses. BT Installation Engineers then started to use them to provide extensions to the upper floors of homes in order to avoid extensive internal cabling. (cables running up the stairs through ceilings etc)
      Thanks Gaztops for your knowledge, would what I have planned (see up ^ ^) work??

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I don't know much about adslnation faceplates, but yes you can fit NTE5's instead of extension sockets, both sockets will work fine.

I have two NTE5's, one is for my telephones and the other one is for my broadband.

I split my line in two at the point where the cable enters my home through the wall near the window. One cable goes to the living room and the other to the dinning room.

Some people prefer to put their computer or router next to the socket.

I have put the socket next to where I want my computer without having miles of cabling.

cornishsky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Helston
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I have my line running through one of these junction boxes, and 2, 3 maybe 4 other lines from a business downstairs run into it also, of which i know some are digital and some are analogue, they have an automatic phone line service setup or something of the like, runs all their internal calls.

My question is this, I live real close to the exchange, 200m ish yet apparently i cannot achieve over 16998 line sync even tho i should be synced at 19000 or so, (according to sky) Anyway they recently capped me at 10235, could this junction box be causing my line fault, im pretty confident it is, but sadly i have no way to get it looked at because its used by the business, and any mods would probably interfer with there expensive phone setup, seperate fax, etc lines. When i last got through to CST they tested it while i was on the line and it came back reporting thousands of errors on the line, is this also being found because o the 66 box?

Anyway thanks in advance if anyone knows.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Master sockets are always internal never outside.
      Cough cough, External NTE has all mastering components in it!
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast