Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sky is only half the speed of BT, Why?

This is a discussion on Sky is only half the speed of BT, Why? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Sorry, feeling lazy. Any guides on how to install the XTE? Just which wires go where etc Thanks, Chris....

hellfire18 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: GARFORTH
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry, feeling lazy. Any guides on how to install the XTE? Just which wires go where etc

Thanks, Chris.

2. Advertisement
      Cyrus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Streetly - CMSTRE
      Broadband ISP: Max, 15.3MB Downstream! B E A Utiful
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Then get the ADSL Nation faceplate if the test increases your down stream.

ADSL Nation - XTE-2005 - Filtered Master Faceplate
      "If you are planning for a year, sow rice;
      if you are planning for a decade, plant trees;
      if you are planning for a lifetime, educate people."

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Read my post earlier in this very thread:

Quote Originally Posted by hellfire18 View Post
      Ok, just bought the XTE-2005 professional quality master socket filter from ADSL Nation
      I simply wanted a guide on how to install it, however having searched, i've now found some of the answers I needed.

I am more concerned about extensions I have in my house. My Master Socket is in my front room, I have 2 extensions, one at the foot of the landing (this is the one I use to connect my ADSL/upstairs telephone from). And one in the kitchen, used for the downstairs phone. The Master socket itself just has line splitters etc coming out of it for the Sky and ADSL Microfilter.

Once I have the XTE-2005 fitted, I will be able to do away with the Microfilter and connect the Sky TV phone wire directly to the Master socket, however what should I do with my other 2 extensions, once in the kitchen and the one on the foot of the landing? Since the landing one will have both a telephone and the Router in it how do I need to wire up the Master Socket, this is the same question for the kitchen phone, if I am reading previous thread's correctly I need to use an IDC tool and put them in the "unfiltered" connection points on the Master socket and then use the ADSL Microfilters like I am currently using or get some new faceplate's for the extensions that are already filtered/unfiltered?

Thanks again...

Chris.
      Last edited by hellfire18; 28-12-06 at 02:04 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Plugged it directly into the master socket as told to and my new stats are:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4832 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 42.0 db 23.5 db
      Noise Margin 15.4 db 22.0 db

That is literally x2 as good, and the unit isn't exactly in the best condition either, hoping that the new filtered faceplate will help even more!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

A little bit confused now....

Whilst it's great that my Downstream appears to of picked up so much when it's plugged into the test socket.

The actual download speed is still 245kb/sec, I have tested this x2 on DSLZone and followed the handy guide on the forums for the FTP download...

I then subsequently connected up the Router as normal upstairs and whilst the Downstream has now dropped back down to 2432 kbps, I am getting 243kb/sec on DSLZone's speed test and similar rates on the FTP download...

I cannot work out why if the downstream was double when connected directly to the test socket it is no faster?

Anyone care to shed some light on this, it might be ok having the ADSL Nation Faceplate that will ensure I get atleast a 5000-6000 kbps downstream but if it never downloads faster than 250kb/sec what's the point?

Thanks, Chris.
      Last edited by hellfire18; 28-12-06 at 07:51 PM.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Have you optimised your TCP/IP settings for faster speeds?

BTW you should try your test socket (behind the faceplate of your master socet assuming you have an NTE5) to see what a quality filtered faceplate may deliver.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Have you optimised your TCP/IP settings for faster speeds?
      Errr, no I forgot that in all fairness, however I have optimised it for using 2MB using TCP Optimizer in the past, I suppose that could be "a" reason why it was no faster?

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      BTW you should try your test socket (behind the faceplate of your master socet assuming you have an NTE5) to see what a quality filtered faceplate may deliver.
      My fault for using the wrong word, sorry. I was referring to the test socket in my last post. I get the increased speeds only when plugging it into there directly, as soon as I plug it back into the master socket, the connection speed more than halves, so I know I definately need a new faceplate (good job one is on order!)

Do other sockets running off the master sockets using Phone (in one room) and Phone and ADSL (upstairs) need to be wired into the "unfiltered" bit on the XTE 2005 Face Plate?

Thanks, Chris.

P.S. Edited my previous post to save further confusion...
      Last edited by hellfire18; 28-12-06 at 07:51 PM.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by hellfire18 View Post
      Do other sockets running off the master sockets using Phone (in one room) and Phone and ADSL (upstairs) need to be wired into the "unfiltered" bit on the XTE 2005 Face Plate?
      Any extension that has a phone/digibox etc on it should be connected to the filtered terminals. Any extension that has a router on it must be connected to the unfiltered terminals. If you want to use a phone and a router on the same extension use an unfiltered connection and plug the phone into a microfilter. If possible, dedicate one extension for the router only or run a new extension for it.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks that clears it up for me, I could always leave the router downstairs I suppose but I would still need the phone upstairs on a seperate filtered extension.

Thanks mate, Chris.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

One more quick question, if I have an extension socket running off the master socket in the "filtered" terminal do the phone/digibox etc still need a Microfilter given the fact that the XTE-2005 has a built in Filter and the wire to the extension socket is in the "filtered" terminal?

Ta, Chris.
      Last edited by hellfire18; 29-12-06 at 08:17 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast