Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky / BT Faceplate Help!

This is a discussion on Sky / BT Faceplate Help! within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Best way to describe my predicament is as follows: Imagine a rectangle labelled on each corner, top left A, top ...

cnewell7 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky / BT Faceplate Help!

Best way to describe my predicament is as follows:
      Imagine a rectangle labelled on each corner, top left A, top right B, bottom left C, bottom right D
      Then imagine an X in the centre of the rectangle
      That rectangle is an outline of my house

At point A there is a BT master socket on inside wall. At the time of the new master socket being fitted the engineer kindly also ran a cable hardwired from the back of the face plate to a more central position in the house. That position is point X, an internal store cupboard

At point X we connect the Sky Broadband router as its the best place to position it for wi-fi. In addition I also have some other devices which are cabled to the store cupboard and connect straight into the back of the router

As time has progressed we have converted our garage into a study for work purposes and have a desktop PC positioned adjacent to the master socket. That PC has been receiving its internet connection by wi-fi but due to internal walls between A and the store cupboard we are experiencing drop outs, not good during meetings

I would like to have desktop PC receive its internet connection hard wired rather than by wi-fi

Is there anything we can plug into the master socket so it can pick up the internet and achieve this goal? This assumes that somehow the internet signal is passed back down the cable that exists between the faceplate and point X

The alternative which I'm looking to avoid is drilling through wall of cupboard X and running a long length of CAT5 from Sky router to point A which the desktop can use. That would connect it directly into back of Sky router but means running several metres of CAT5 and clipping to the wall in several places

Any advice would be really appreciated

PS TPLinks and similar PowerLine adapters are not an option. We have also had dropouts with them and Sky tell us not to use them at all

2. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Fab Fibre (Sky network)
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky / BT Faceplate Help!

Move router back to A so that PC can have a direct ethernet connection to it? And then buy & place a standalone wireless access point at X (getting its internet feed via the existing cable at X) to setup wireless access for house?
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)