Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

installing faceplate

This is a discussion on installing faceplate within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just ordered the adsl nation faceplate. If you are not bothered with the extension wires as I don't need them ...

fredrex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: highway
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

installing faceplate

Just ordered the adsl nation faceplate. If you are not bothered with the extension wires as I don't need them is it as simple as unsrewing the bottom half of the BT plate and then screwing on the new plate. How are the connections made, am I correct in thinking I don't have to mess with any wires.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Yep its as easy as that 10 seconds max.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Make a note of how your current faceplate is connected (i.e. which coloured wire connects where) then replicate this on the replacement. The wires are push fit with a Krone tool. If you try to use say a screwdriver you are likely to make a bad connection (negating the point of the replacement) and damage the terminals. Cheap Krone tools cost ~1.

fredrex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: highway
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

thanks but no extension wires so I think I just have to screw on.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Thats it fredrex
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

AdamBrunt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Godalming (THGG)
      Thanks
      On a similar theme I was wondering if one of the ADSLNation faceplates would give me a speed boost.

I currently have a 'compatible' BT master socket in the hall. My current router is out in the extension connected, via a microfilter, to a BT faceplate on the wall ie this is not a Homebase extension lead along the skirting type thing - it is a fully 'hidden behind walls' type extension which has been there since we moved in. We also have DECT phones so I can't remember how many other extensions the house might have.

If I understand things correctly, this means the extension face plate should 1 wire behind it which correlates to one of the wires behing the master socket.

If I went for one of the ADSLnation faceplates, would it allow me to make the extension an "ADSL only" extension (and remove the microfilter) ? If so, would this need a new faceplate (as isn't the ADSL socket a different size to the "voice" socket) ?

Fitting an ADSLNation faceplate would also allow me to take the microfilter off the master BT socket, correct ?

And, more importantly, would doing the above improve speeds at all.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      There's a simple test to see the possible benefits of a filtered faceplate before you buy/fit one. Simply unscrew the faceplate of your existing socket and you'll find a hidden socket behind it. Plug your router directly into this and compare the before and after router stats. Whatever improvement you get should be achievable with the new faceplate.

Provided it is really a master socket (i.e. the line hasn't been split before it) then yes, you should find one set of wires behind the master socket faceplate for each extension, though it is possible that the extension wire is daisy chained and supplies more than one extension.

Some makes/types of filtered faceplates have connections for both filtered and unfiltered extensions. Check before you buy if you want this feature.

With a filtered faceplate on the master socket you will not need plug in microfilters any more unless you make an extension unfiltered and want to plug a phone into it.

edwardw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYDEW
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Is there an adsl faceplate that can be used on an extension? Because i dont really want to be messing about with the master box, was just wondering if there is anythign that i can change the upstairs faceplate to?

And what colour/number is the ringwire? I can disconnect this from the master, not bothered about that
      Connected @ 13mbit on SkyMAX

adslnation is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Headington, Oxford
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Yes there are but part of the benefit of a master faceplate is filtering the signal at the earliest opportunity.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      @edwardw

If you're happy to fit a faceplate to an extension then why not to the master socket

As adslnation says, the filtering needs to be on the master socket to get the full benefit.

The ring wire should be orange with white rings. However, there is a possibility this colour coding hasn't been followed. In any event it will be connected to connector number 3.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast