Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is the process for getting the physical part of a new line installed from OpenReach?

This is a discussion on What is the process for getting the physical part of a new line installed from OpenReach? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Moving into a new build apartment. The whole building isn't wired up. None of the apartments have phone sockets. The ...

anagoge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

What is the process for getting the physical part of a new line installed from OpenReach?

Moving into a new build apartment. The whole building isn't wired up. None of the apartments have phone sockets.

The developer had an ONT box fitted about five weeks ago and I've been told it's now ready for registrations. As there's zero wiring in any of the apartments, I don't know what the process is for OpenReach to come and install everything.

* Don't the engineers need the developer/landlord's permission to start wiring?
      * Would have that been given already from installing the ONT box?
      * Do I pay for any of the wiring?
      * How long from making an engineer request does it take to actually get a socket installed?
      * The building is three floors, 21 flats. Will there be any issue with this?

Thank you for your help.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: What is the process for getting the physical part of a new line installed from OpenReach?

Is the property registered with Royal Mail yet (ie. does it have a postcode)?
      Until the address is listed on the Postcode Address File (PAF) database it's probably not worth pursuing the matter further especially if you are looking to get your broadband service from Sky.

If it is listed check for your address on https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co...get-fibre.aspx.

If it is not listed either you wait until it is or you may order telephone service through BT. If they agree to provide the service a survey would be undertaken by Openreach.

I'm assuming the ONT box was installed by the property developer. If this is the case they will have already liaised with Openreach as to the hardware requirements. In which case address your concerns to the developer.

Openreach will only talk to a communication provider, they will not speak directly to you.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: What is the process for getting the physical part of a new line installed from OpenReach?

Hi Seawright, thanks for responding.

To answer your questions:

* Yes, the property is registered with Royal Mail.
      * Checking for my address on OpenReach is confusing. It also proved confusing for the reps when I called BT. The building contains 21 different flats, but when you search the postcode, there's only two apartments listed under the "Address check" part.
      * I was told by BT/OpenReach that those two apartments are apartments which may have signed up for packages, but not necessarily installed anything yet. As the property is brand new (we're all first tenants), is that why I can't see my own flat on the list?
      * I was told by the estate agents that the ONT box was installed by BT. I'm assuming by BT, they probably mean OpenReach.
      * As the developer is acting through an estate agent, I have to go through them, which is proving to be awfully frustrating.

Having called BT for the fifth time after posting my first message, I have managed to set up an engineer date of September 6th. A three week wait is poor service, but I know that OpenReach are renowned for it. My main concern/question is literally how does the engineer connect my flat? Once they've installed the socket, where do they run the wire to? What does an engineer usually do? Do they run wiring in the halls? Down the side of the building? Does the wire from my flat connect into the ONT box or somewhere else?

I'm trying to understand the wiring process because the ONT box will be locked away somewhere. I don't want to wait three weeks for an engineer to come out, only to be stopped by a locked door. Can you give me more information please?

Thanks

The fact that 2 apartments are already listed would indicate that a survey by Openreach has already taken place so adding additional apartments may only be a paper exercise as far as the survey is required. The lead time may depend on the work level in your area but the time will also allow for a survey as there hasn't previously been a service at the property.

You can check what broadband products are available and the speed you are likely to get using BTs address checker at: https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/
      using either of the addresses previously found.

The engineer will be told where the distribution point is and whether it is internal to the premises. I'm assuming that you will only be getting a copper line and not fibre to your apartment even though there is an optical termination in the building. Assuming there is no conduit fitted for the purpose of installing a telephone line the line will be run externally from the distribution point to a suitable point of entry, usually the front door though it may be a window. A small hole is drilled through masonry or a wooden door frame (not UPVC) and the NTE (master socket) will be fitted close to (usually within 2 mtrs) of the point of entry.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anagoge View Post
      Hi Seawright, thanks for responding.

To answer your questions:

* Yes, the property is registered with Royal Mail.
      * Checking for my address on OpenReach is confusing. It also proved confusing for the reps when I called BT. The building contains 21 different flats, but when you search the postcode, there's only two apartments listed under the "Address check" part.
      * I was told by BT/OpenReach that those two apartments are apartments which may have signed up for packages, but not necessarily installed anything yet. As the property is brand new (we're all first tenants), is that why I can't see my own flat on the list?
      * I was told by the estate agents that the ONT box was installed by BT. I'm assuming by BT, they probably mean OpenReach.
      * As the developer is acting through an estate agent, I have to go through them, which is proving to be awfully frustrating.

Having called BT for the fifth time after posting my first message, I have managed to set up an engineer date of September 6th. A three week wait is poor service, but I know that OpenReach are renowned for it. My main concern/question is literally how does the engineer connect my flat? Once they've installed the socket, where do they run the wire to? What does an engineer usually do? Do they run wiring in the halls? Down the side of the building? Does the wire from my flat connect into the ONT box or somewhere else?

I'm trying to understand the wiring process because the ONT box will be locked away somewhere. I don't want to wait three weeks for an engineer to come out, only to be stopped by a locked door. Can you give me more information please?
      It's a new build so you're likely to be waiting many weeks/months for Openreach to connect the building to the network.
      You will all be listed as "silver" addresses. They will be aware they exist but they won't be connected to the network.

They are only likely to do the work when a critical mass of customers have placed orders for service. This type of issue has been on BBC Watchdog many times over the years. The developer should have setup everything with Openreach many months ago but from the sounds of it haven't.

Sorry, but the situation will be the same for all providers so choose who you want to go with then it'll be a waiting game.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I did think the internal wiring within a flat was done by the electrical/wiring contractor with the wiring left behind a blanking plate. BTO then fitted an NTE5 and wired it up to the main board.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I did think the internal wiring within a flat was done by the electrical/wiring contractor with the wiring left behind a blanking plate. BTO then fitted an NTE5 and wired it up to the main board.
      I agree that some building contractors would do this however there is no standard. I have no experience of tower blocks but for smaller blocks I have seen installations as you describe, conduits with string for pulling cables through or in some cases no provision at all. Trends change and contractors are often unwilling to spend more than absolutely necessary. To take an example there was a period when network cables were routinely installed which of course appeared in the sales features but with wi-fi now the connection method of choice this trend is no longer prevalent.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I was told by BT that they might be able to offer me fibre, but they won't know that until there's any kind of line installed. They offered me the "Unlimited Broadband" package. First one on the site, but said that fibre might be available once I've got that.

Using the DSL Checker you linked doesn't work because I have no existing phone line there. I tried the Address Checker instead that's linked on that page and again, it said it was unable to determine anything. I used the postcode checker and that brought up WBC ADSL up to 16mb, ADSL Max up to 7.5mb, and WBC Fixed Rate up to 2mb.

Are distribution points usually inside or outside? Can you tell me what it might look like? As I said, I don't want to wait three weeks only for the engineer to realise it's behind a locked door somewhere. I'm really hoping it's outside on the side of the building!

It really is poor that the developers haven't already had any of this completed. As you said, there is no standard, but there really should be. This building has been built for at least eight months. I got the keys beginning of August. Clearly the developers have been trying to minimise their costs.

Thanks

Use one of the two addresses that you found on the Openreach website.

The notes on the address checker output should show whether the DP is internal or external to the premises.

Exchange:
      Thanks

This is what I get:

Exchange name: Liverpool North
      Exchange status: Fibre enabled
      Cabinet number: 19
      Technology: FTTC

So does that mean inside or outside if it's fibre to the cabinet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast