Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By geezerone

New build connections for Freeview and Sky+

This is a discussion on New build connections for Freeview and Sky+ within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Am seeking some clarity on what is required to connect the RG6 cabling in a new house currently being ...

geezerone is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet FTTC
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

New build connections for Freeview and Sky+

Hi

Am seeking some clarity on what is required to connect the RG6 cabling in a new house currently being constructed so will firstly provide the setup:

The arrangement is that there are 4 RG6 cables (F-type connections) to both the Living room and the master bedroom to facilitate Sky+. There are single runs of RG6 to two other bedrooms and a sunroom.

There are four single cables protruding from the wall (from the attic space) to be connected to a satellite dish.

I am looking to be able to view Freeview in all rooms (5) and have the facility to view/change channels also in all 5 rooms from both Sky+ boxes via magic eyes (not used them before). I am currently using a standard Sky+ setup for my multiroom subscription but figure Sky will provide an incentive to upgrade to Sky+HD with a free move (been with them about 8 years). I would suspect they will just upgrade one box and then I could change the other box by buying one on ebay (Amstrad DRX890 ?).

The Log aerial (still to decide on what to get - yagi type maybe) I shall be installing will be situated within the attic and thinking of a passive splitter and hope attenuation will be acceptable (strong signal area apparently)?
      Would I require a powered solution to be able to view the channels (freeview and Sky) on the other TVs and can it be setup to view either Sky+ box from the remote TVs - maybe changing each Sky+ default channel to different one and matching this on the remote TVs?

I think the four cables are two for the dual satellite Sky+ I/P one for Terrestrial I/P and the fourth the RF2 O/P cable for the living room and master bedroom.

I have asked for a 13A spur in the attic in case an amp/loft box is required which I imagine it will be but would rather not put in. I also have a couple of Cat5e cables (I have to terminate still) in the Sky+ box rooms to facilitate ethernet requirements for box sets/on demand and naturally have the phone points.

Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: New build connections for Freeview and Sky+

Not the answer to your questions but just a few more points to ponder.

Are the four cables from the attic on a wall that faces between south and east to give line of sight to the satellite.

A new Sky+ HD box is unlikely to have an RF2 O/P connection requiring an IO-Link
      New build connections for Freeview and Sky+-io_link.jpgthough a 2nd hand Sky+HD box may have an rf2 O/P.

Also if you are buying a new TV for the sunroom or other bedrooms ensure that is has an analogue tuner otherwise you will not be able to remotely view the programme playing on your Sky box.

If you have a smart-phone or tablet you could use the Sky+ app to control your Sky boxes so magic eyes wouldn't be required.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

geezerone (19-02-15)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

Dish cabling positioned on east wall so will be pointed south (one thing I look for when viewing property - to see if south front facing etc by any sat dishes around).

Will ensure analogue receiver is built in too. Out of interest, what is quality like and what is the largest display for use from an rf2 feed without a poor picture? Max would likely be 32" and am I correct in thinking any HD content (freeview via in-built TV tuner or SkyHD remotely) will not be in HD due to the analogue feed?

I've heard about the lack of RF2 o/p, don't know why but guess murderoch wants multiple multiroom subs instead.

Didn't know about app but will need magic eye for some rooms for sure.

Thanks

I use rf2 O/P with a 22" TV and haven't had any complaints about picture quality. If analogue reception on a 32" TV was acceptable prior to digital switch-over then it should be no worse using rf2 O/P though as you state the quality will not be HD.

There are a few HD channels available on Freeview but you will need an HD (not HD ready) TV to view them.

I don't think removing rf2 O/P was a ploy to encourage the take-up of Multiscreen as an IO-Link can be purchased for about the same as one months extra subscription. It is more likely it was dropped to make space for Wi-Fi hardware and to reduce the power consumption of the box to comply with the latest energy saving recommendations/regulations.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

geezerone (19-02-15)

Exchange:
      Thanks

So am I correct in believing the HD Freeview channels fed via the composite feed to the remote TVs won't be in HD?

Don't know how the 32" TV fared on analogue as it was only used for Sky+ due to no terrestrial signal bar the auto-tune in where there was an analogue feed once it arrived. Don't believe there was any picture problem.

Any one with info on the loft equipment/connections??

Thanks

You would have to check your TV handbook.
      HDMI and DVI connectors support high definition as should RCA component inputs (YPBPR).
      With composite video via Scart or RCA connectors you will be limited to SD.

You may find this article on loft boxes helpful:

http://satcure.co.uk/tech/lofthelp.htm

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks

Was looking into this some more and I have successfully tried an RF2 o/p from my SD Sky+ box to a TV and modulated picture wasn't that far off from the Scart connection (32" LCD TV) no surprise but don't have an HD signal to test anyhow.

I believe a setup of the following would work if you would bear with me:

Labgear LDU608G 8 way Distrib Amp with two feeds from quad LNB into it and the other 2 feeds direct to one Sky+ location (or one feed direct to each Sky+ box and the other single feed of the 'pair' from the Amp).
      SPC4 combiner to take the two return RF2 feeds into the one input on the above amp.

UHF antenna input to the amp also.

Take a single output to all five locations for Terrestrial input (in case of the two Sky+ boxes) and multiple signals for the remote TVs (one cable to provide both RF2 feeds dependent upon channel selected on TV plus the Freeview signal).

Was considering a Triax 333112 for a little more but although it takes all 4 quad LNB inputs, there only looks to be 3 outputs according to the example?

I was thinking the faceplates specified have some filtering built in. In my setup there will be just single faceplates on the walls with the remote TVs (i.e. RF2/Freeview feeds). My understanding is the two Sky+ locations will have the four cables each protruding from the wall for me to decide what to do which will likely be a double 'Sat' , single TV and a return socket.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Hi geezerone.
      Please excuse my interruption.

I was just wondering if HDMI distribution had ever been a consideration for your new build & if not why?
      I do understand that the kit itself can be a bit pricey, but quality cables certainly aren't anymore.
      Have 'they' not solved the multiple IR problem yet?
      If not, then personally in a new build i'd be laying HDMI (& CAT6 just to cover myself) everywhere in addition to the coax for magic eye use.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.
      Thanks.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I'd rather not go there gymno - not really up to speed with hi tech cabling and really getting cat5e was not exactly what I wanted due to the rush by the builder and there is cost combined with this - the extras for kitchen etc mounted up. The TV cabling was for the most part standard bar my request of second sky+ cabling. Believe me my head is turned!
      gymno likes this.

Thanks

The Triax loft box does have four satellite outputs Sat One being combined with the other lower frequency TV and FM/DAB signals in the Down Link but as you already have four cables feeding the living room and master bedroom I think that the Triax box would be overkill in your situation.

I would use downlink to living room Sky box and providing it has two rf outputs, RF O/P 1 would feed TV aerial I/P & RF O/P 2 would be Uplink.

In addition to Sat feeds for main bedroom a normal O/P from loft box could feed directly to TV. If it is required to feed programmes recorded on bedroom Sky box to other TVs RF2/IO-Link could feed CCTV I/P on loft box ensuring that both Sky boxes modulated RF O/Ps are tuned to different channels.