Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Faceplate query

This is a discussion on Faceplate query within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All Just looking for some advice please, i currently live in a flat and for some annoying reason my ...

carefree is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Faceplate query

Hi All

Just looking for some advice please, i currently live in a flat and for some annoying reason my master socket was installed in a cupboard with no power near by Anyway i am forced to use an extension socket in the living room but cant help feel that the micro filters are not that good. I saw one of these faceplates BT NTE5 vDSL MK2 Filtered Faceplate|Openreach&#8482 Branded and i wondered if i was to fit this on my master socket would it then mean i could only get a broadband signal from just the master socket? or would it just mean i could plug my router into any socket now without a micro filter? I am currenly on ADSL at the mo but have had my fibre cab installed last week so just waiting for it to go live so i can upgrade.

Many thanks guys

2. Advertisement
      dnpark38 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01274
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Faceplate query

Is there no way you could plug a mains extension lead into a mains plug and run the extension to the cupboard?
      I will leave others to comment on your question of using extension for BB but I would think upgrading to latest faceplate would not make things worse but possibly better.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the above much appreciated, would you believe there is not really a good place for an extension lead at all its kinda silly really the way it was designed to be installed in there. There is a power socket on the opposite wall in my hallway but that would mean having a wire running across the middle of the floor which is not really what i would want to be honest

Thanks again

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Hi carefree.

In most cases when a router is on an extension, it's the quality / grade of cable that causes issues rather than the microfilters.
      They're generally fine as phone lines but often pick up interference on the broadband.

One easy option would be to request an 'assisted installation' at the time of ordering fibre.
      For a flat fee (i believe 50) an openreach engineer will visit the property & discuss potential solutions.
      Often it's just a case of fitting a data extension kit from the master socket to a more appropriate position for the router, however occasionally relocating the master socket itself is a viable option.
      They'll also fit a filtered faceplate & should wire up all your existing extensions.

Initially this is how all fibre installs used to be done before 'self install' became the norm last year.
      Although accounts on the forum of how accommodating the engineers can be vary, some do show that drilling through a wall or two hasn't been a problem, whilst others show jobs taking several hours.

Of course, there's nothing particularly difficult regarding the diy route (technically not allowed to move the master socket though) but thought it worth mentioning as the service isn't really advertised.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi Gymno

Thanks for the in depth response there thats helped me out for sure. When my fibre cab goes live and god knows how long that will be even though nearly all of my town have been using it for the last 2 years! Think mine must have been the last cab to be done! I might ask the engineer if it could be moved and id like to think they would see its in a pretty silly place and do the job for me

I guess a filtered vdsl faceplate on the master socket would not help me using an extension then as i guess the broadband signal would be filtered at the master socket itself?

Thanks again

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

The vdsl faceplates give you all the options.

On the front are sockets for both phone & the router.
      Any extensions wired to the existing faceplate (which fits on top of the vdsl one) will be filtered, yes.
      However there are further unfiltered terminals for hard wiring on the rear if you don't want to use the dsl socket on the front.

Basically, it's the existing extension cable itself which is likely to cause poor broadband performance (especially with fibre) & so there's no way around replacing the master>router section with something more appropriate, whether hard wired or not.
      The vdsl faceplate still has all the other advantages though.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by carefree
      I might ask the engineer if it could be moved and id like to think they would see its in a pretty silly place and do the job for me
      Hi carefree.
      On reflection i feel the need to clarify...

Unfortunately that's the gamble when requesting an assisted install.
      To my knowledge there's very little or no opportunity to discuss any of these matters with openreach prior to the visit, at which point the service has already been paid for.

So the best case scenario for anyone is:
      Master socket relocated to perfect position & all wiring satisfactorily tidy etc.
      So parts + potentially 2hrs+ labour at 50 & no headaches makes sense.

Worst case scenario for anyone is:
      Data extension kit fitted in unsatisfactory position as "only viable option".
      So parts + potentially 10 minutes labour at 50 makes no sense as DIY would have been better.

If still considering the option when the time comes, i'd recommend discussing 'assisted install' with sky prior to committing.
      Before self installations became the norm, there certainly used to be scope for providing them with some basic info on your requirements at the time of ordering.
      Hopefully that's still the case.
      Last edited by gymno; 08-01-15 at 07:27 PM. Reason: grammar

rasp54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BRIDGEND
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Why not run a phone line directly from the the master socket {hard wired} then to a near by power socket and put a standard faceplate and box.

As for signal loss this is down to poor wiring not the extension.

I am running a extension from the master socket downstairs to upstairs which is about ten metres long and getting 17 meg on 18meg on standard broadband.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

For Gymno:
      Assisted install (for Sky) is only an option on ADSL install and isn't available on Fibre. Or I haven't noticed it anyway!

It means an engineer will help you setup your Hub and ONE wired PC.

Fibre is a remote activation product only.
      Engineers are only booked where the line has been inactive for ~2 years or more.
      It might still be activated remotely if the line is still intact and no problems are detected at the cabinet.

For the OP:
      personally, I would run a power cable to the master and setup the router there. Your only other alternative is to run a high quality twisted-pair cable to the point of your extension socket.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      For Gymno:
      Assisted install (for Sky) is only an option on ADSL install and isn't available on Fibre. Or I haven't noticed it anyway!

It means an engineer will help you setup your Hub and ONE wired PC.

Fibre is a remote activation product only.
      Engineers are only booked where the line has been inactive for ~2 years or more.
      It might still be activated remotely if the line is still intact and no problems are detected at the cabinet.
      Are you sure?

I definitely read a post or two last year, detailing how a sky customers' assisted fibre install went.