Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cat6 Installed - what next!

This is a discussion on Cat6 Installed - what next! within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Two years ago I had my house completely rewired and at the same time I had Cat6 and coaxial ...

cemount is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Cat6 Installed - what next!

Hi

Two years ago I had my house completely rewired and at the same time I had Cat6 and coaxial cables put into all the main rooms and bedrooms of the house.

I have a loft space that houses the phone line, the aerial off the roof connected to a booster, and all the ends of the cat6 connected to a small switch for the broadband as well as a router and a so each room can get hard wired internet if they don't want to use the wifi.

This was all done with the intentions of installing Sky. Well at the time the budget didn't run to that, until this afternoon, when the good lady convinced me to buy a Sky package, that is being installed in a few days.

So the plan was to have Sky in all the rooms with the Cat installed, but in the meantime I have lost contact with the guy that wired the house and I don't know what to do to complete the install!

How can I make the most of what I have already installed wire wise.

And where should I get the Sky guy to install the box when it comes in a few days.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Cat6 Installed - what next!

Welcome to the forum cemount.

The latest Sky boxes do not have an RF modulator so if you want to distribute the Sky programmes to other rooms using your co-ax network you will require an IO Link currently available direct from Sky for 10.

The quality of video distributed this way is not HD so I would suggest installing your Sky+ HD box close to your largest TV screen connected by an HDMI cable to take full advantage of the HD quality picture.

You could use magic eyes to control the Sky box from other rooms but the Sky+ app. available for Apple and Android devices will allow you to change channel, record and playback programmes from another room.

Although the Sky box can connect to your broadband router by wi-fi I would also advise that you connect it to your wired network to take full advantage of its On Demand capabilities.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks Seawright.

I would really like to take advantage of all the Cat6 that I have installed around the house, as that's really why it was installed - I just don't know how to link it altogether.

Thanks

It is possible to use a switching matrix to distribute HDMI signals over Cat6 but each remote device would require its own HDMI to Cat6 converter.
      This article illustrates what would be required:
      https://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20Eth...tch%204x4.html

It is only an illustration as this model is discontinued but you should be aware that this item retailed at over 1,250.
      Last edited by seawright; 21-09-14 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Replaced ethernet with Cat6

Exchange:
      Thanks

I'm sure the guy was only on about a couple of hundred pounds.

Would it be cheaper if you couldn't control the remote from all the TV's - so just the main one had the remote capabilites, and all he was trying to achive was the live Sky channel being able to be seen on all the TV's in the house?

Thanks

For a one to four HDMI splitter/ distribution amplifier prices start at around 50 though good quality devices are considerably dearer.
      To utilise the Cat6 cables you would still require HDMI to Cat6 converters.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks Seawright

I've noticed that a coaxial cable has been run from my loft space to where the TV in the main lounge is located.

Does that mean the intention was to get the Sky box installed into my loft space and somehow connect the other end to the TV - or is that a red herring!

I'm still confused!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I would think the coax cable you have found is for the terrestrial aerial. The Sky+HD box requires 2 coax cables connected to a dish. The dish will be fitted in a south facing position, with the box located as near as possible to it. Installers will not normally go into a loft and prefer to fit the box located against an external wall.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

It would be possible to mount the Sky box in the attic but as Isitme has stated Sky's engineers would not mount it there. The co-ax for terrestrial TV reception could then be fed through an IO Link and a magic eye fitted adjacent to the TV in the main lounge. Although you could then control the Sky box from the lounge you would still require a pair of HDMI to Cat6 converters to watch Sky in HD quality.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks Guys

Should I let the Sky engineer install the box in the lounge and then go from there back to the attic, so it can be distributed to the rest of the house?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast