Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Outside extension cable problem

This is a discussion on Outside extension cable problem within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I was wondering if anyone on here could help me with an extension wiring problem. Our master phone socket ...

bucephalus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Outside extension cable problem

Hi, I was wondering if anyone on here could help me with an extension wiring problem.

Our master phone socket is in the hall near the front door, but the TV/Sky box/router/phone are in the back downstairs room. So there is a black cable that plugs into the main phone socket and goes outside through the wall, around the side and back of the house, then back through the wall, coming out by the TV etc.

The problem here is that the TV/Sky/router/phone end of the cable seems to have loose wires (2 orange wires are poking out, although they look like they've never been used as they are bent back and too short). Sometimes when I'm cleaning behind the TV or my dog decides to stick her big nose behind there and nudges the extension, the connection goes. So I have to spend ages moving the extension until it is comfortable and all 3 lights come on on the router.

This has happened a few times but this time I can't seem to make the extension happy, so I've moved the router to the hall for now.

I've googled it plenty but I can only find how to rewire standard internal phone cables, I suppose part of the problem is I don't know what the cable is called - outdoor phone extension is the best I managed.

If anyone could tell me, or point me to somewhere that shows how to rewire it, that would be great. It looks like the blue wires just pull out, I didn't want to break them. I've attached some images so you can see what I mean.

Thanks.

Outside extension cable problem-20140827_175032.jpgOutside extension cable problem-20140827_175212.jpgOutside extension cable problem-20140827_175156.jpg

2. Advertisement
      RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Outside extension cable problem

You will need an IDC tool to refit the wires or you can replace that socket with the push down type. Personally if there is enough slack on that cable I would hard wire it to a proper socket. You wouldn't need a plug in filter there then either.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RUNITDIRECT For This Useful Post:

bucephalus (28-08-14)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply. By the looks of it I'll probably just rewire using the IDC tool as that seems cheapest and easiest. I presume it's just the two blue wires, and the two orange ones aren't used?

I'll look for a guide how to rewire the other 2 options as well. I'm away until next week so will investigate fully when I return. Thanks again!

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Yes you only need the blue pair.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I think if I were you I would go for the BT Socket, ADSL Filtered With RJ45/RJ11 You even get a free IDC tool and you could place it out of the way of the dog and vacuum cleaners etc.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

bucephalus (28-08-14)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok thanks, I'll investigate that properly next week.

I'm guessing they're easy to wire? Would I wire all 4 wires then? Are there wiring guides on this site? I haven't looked yet. If not I'm sure there's plenty elsewhere. There's only about a foot of slack on the cable although that should be enough.

What are the benefits of using a proper socket over just rewiring the current one? Tidier and no need for the filter?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

You only need the blue wires although you can wire them all if you wish. As you say, it is tidier and does away with the need for trailing filters. The blue wire goes to terminal 2 and the blue/white wire goes to terminal 5. As the other end is connected, you need not worry about that end.
      http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/forum...phone-t25.html
      Last edited by Isitme; 28-08-14 at 04:14 PM.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

All fixed. I went with the IDC tool in the end, but if there's any problems again I'll stick a socket on the wall. THanks again for your help!