Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By RUNITDIRECT

Quality 5 meters Gigabit cable Needed

This is a discussion on Quality 5 meters Gigabit cable Needed within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi there I need to get a quality 5 meters cable, it's already the 3rd cable I bought from ebay ...

gabrio.linari is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Quality 5 meters Gigabit cable Needed

hi there

I need to get a quality 5 meters cable, it's already the 3rd cable I bought from ebay that gives me connection problems - the Ethernet icon goes on and off at times, this is the last try before I get an adaptor Ethernet to USB if the connector on the motherboard of my laptop is gone..

I found this 5M Meter Premium RJ45 Cat6e Gigabit Ethernet Network LAN UTP Patch Cable Lead | eBay

6 pounds for 5 meters Gigabit cat 6, should be decent quality right?

if anyone has a good website to buy from please let me know, that price is fine for a GOOD quality cable.

thanks
      Gabrio

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Quality 5 meters Gigabit cable Needed

Cat 6e is way OTT for the needs of most people.

Cat 5e is rated to 1Gbit. Cat 6 is rated to 10Gbit. Apparently Cat 6 is only rated for 10Gbit at a distance of 50m and Cat 6e to 100m. I was under the impression that Cat 6 was Ok for 100m, but then I don't have a 10Gbit LAN to confirm it.

Personally I am treating that advert with a huge amount of scepticism. As they say "If it sounds too good to be true...". There are a lot of fake cables in circulation and they tend to occupy the bottom end of the market.

So, having said all that, it pays to look around...

CSL - 5m - CAT.6 Ethernet Gigabit Lan network cable |: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

There may be other pages elsewhere which give a better deal, but be careful!

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Cat 6e is way OTT for the needs of most people.

Cat 5e is rated to 1Gbit. Cat 6 is rated to 10Gbit. Apparently Cat 6 is only rated for 10Gbit at a distance of 50m and Cat 6e to 100m. I was under the impression that Cat 6 was Ok for 100m, but then I don't have a 10Gbit LAN to confirm it.

Personally I am treating that advert with a huge amount of scepticism. As they say "If it sounds too good to be true...". There are a lot of fake cables in circulation and they tend to occupy the bottom end of the market.

So, having said all that, it pays to look around...

CSL - 5m - CAT.6 Ethernet Gigabit Lan network cable |: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

There may be other pages elsewhere which give a better deal, but be careful!
      hi Scubbie,

I am not that concerned with the distance as it's just 5 meters and well I wanted to get one of the latest..that's all. having said that I didn't think about amazon, I will buy that one you recommended, seems fine...and if it happens again, it means it's my laptop's Ethernet connector gone silly!

cheers
      Gabrio

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I wasn't recommending that one. I was merely pointing out an alternative.

Personally I have bought some Cat 6 cable in the past, but realised later what I had done.

Shielded cable is better than unshielded as it reduces outside interference. However most people will only have a 1Gbit LAN at best. Shielded Cat 5e is more than capable of supporting these speeds in the home.

The computing power you would need to properly support a 10Gbit LAN is quite a bit. Multiple hard drives in a RAID set up and huge files which are being copied/moved over the network on a regular basis is way more than most people are going to do.

I do note that 10Gbit switches and Ethernet adaptors are now available to purchase. At 555 for an 8-port 10Gbit network switch and between 220-345 for a 10Gbit Ethernet card, they are just a little out of my price range at this time.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

One thing to be careful of is Cat6 is a lot stiffer than Cat5,(it has more twists per metre) so is not really suitable if the cable is going to be moved around a lot. If its in a fixed position, fine, as long as there are no sharp bends. The stiffness makes it easier to damage if bent a sharply.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I wasn't recommending that one. I was merely pointing out an alternative.

Personally I have bought some Cat 6 cable in the past, but realised later what I had done.

Shielded cable is better than unshielded as it reduces outside interference. However most people will only have a 1Gbit LAN at best. Shielded Cat 5e is more than capable of supporting these speeds in the home.

The computing power you would need to properly support a 10Gbit LAN is quite a bit. Multiple hard drives in a RAID set up and huge files which are being copied/moved over the network on a regular basis is way more than most people are going to do.

I do note that 10Gbit switches and Ethernet adaptors are now available to purchase. At 555 for an 8-port 10Gbit network switch and between 220-345 for a 10Gbit Ethernet card, they are just a little out of my price range at this time.
      Ohhh, well I just need a good gigabit cable for the sky router and I'd like it to be gigabit If I occasionally transfer from PC to PC.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      One thing to be careful of is Cat6 is a lot stiffer than Cat5,(it has more twists per metre) so is not really suitable if the cable is going to be moved around a lot. If its in a fixed position, fine, as long as there are no sharp bends. The stiffness makes it easier to damage if bent a sharply.

Now THAT is a very interesting point and would explain why the latest cables have been giving problems, yes they have been moving, although not "quite a lot" but we move the laptop around...thanks so much for this insight!

I think I will end up getting a Gigabit Cat 5e instead ! these last ones were all Cat6

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Get a branded cable like Nexans, ADC Krone-TE etc etc. These companies have been making structured cabling for years. FYI when most of the patch leads available were actually tested most failed & there are loads of fakes out there! CCA, wrong copper thickness etc etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      CAT6 patch leads are fine, it's backbone (solid core) that can cause problems.
      Isitme likes this.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      Get a branded cable like Nexans, ADC Krone-TE etc etc. These companies have been making structured cabling for years. FYI when most of the patch leads available were actually tested most failed & there are loads of fakes out there! CCA, wrong copper thickness etc etc.

- - - Updated - - -

CAT6 patch leads are fine, it's backbone (solid core) that can cause problems.
      My advice was going to be, see what RUNITDIRECT says as this is their field of expertise, but they beat me to it!

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

To be honest we use the same supplier as BT & have never had issues but the general public can't buy what we can from them. We sell their leads on our site but only up to 3m on patch leads.

We aren't big on patch leads as sadly most people buy on price which usually means a nasty CCA lead off eBay for 10p!!
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.