Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cabling question

This is a discussion on Cabling question within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, I am new around here , so hi everybody. So I signed up from Virgin today and the ...

mazza77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Cabling question

Hi all,

I am new around here , so hi everybody.

So I signed up from Virgin today and the engineer will be coming over to install the whole package (09/07). I was very clear over the sales cycle that i have a very strict cabling requirements and if those are not met unfortunately I would be able to install the service. I just finished rebuilding the house and all the cables are nicely hidden under the floors or in the walls.

I was wondering if you could any of you confirm how the cabling is done for Fibre and TV and I will explain why.

There is a section in one wall that all the external cables come in to the house (telephone and coaxial cable for Fibre). The telephone cable stays as it is and connects to a phone. From the coaxial f-type i have a cable that runs under the floors and connects to the other side of the room where all my AV equipment are (Sony amp, PS3, Virgin TiVo, Hub and NAS). So really all I have is a coaxial cable extending from the original Virgin installation location to my preferred location. From there the coaxial cable is split in to 2 (TV and Hub) and all the cables are nice and sorted.

I want Sky to use the same configuration (cables), so I was hoping that they will install the dish and a F-type termination on the same wall as virgin and I will be able to then use the existing extension cable for the Sky HD+ box (I heard rumours that there a 2 feeds and that will be an issue). If the Sky+ Box requires a telephone cable then the whole deal is off and I can't extend the telephone cable from the current location to where I want the SKY+ Box. I can leave the Sky Hub where the new termination point will be and using powerline to tranfer the internet to the PS3 , NAS and so on ..

I am really sorry if I dont make any sense hard to explain and sorry if I have added this to the wrong forum

Mario

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Cabling question

The Sky box will require a twin feed from the dish to the box.
      It will also need a network connection either via Ethernet cable or wireless if you are lucky and manage to get a wireless enabled box.
      You can get a wireless adapter if you don't get the wireless box.
      Sounds like the twin feed may be the issue for you.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      The Sky box will require a twin feed from the dish to the box.
      It will also need a network connection either via Ethernet cable or wireless if you are lucky and manage to get a wireless enabled box.
      You can get a wireless adapter if you don't get the wireless box.
      Sounds like the twin feed may be the issue for you.
      The network connection is not an issue at all as I have power line ethernet available. The coax will be a huge issue unless the engineers can do something but I can't see how as the TV is in the middle of the house with no external walls anywhere near it. Damn it I should had not believed the sales man , I was too excited by the much cheaper deal vs Virgin

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

You could do this if you could get the twin satellite signals down your single cable.

To do the first you might need something like these:
      EMP-Centauri multiswitches, professional range. Satellite multiswitches. 5 input multiswitches. Powered multiswitches. 5X8, 5X12, 5X16 satellite multiswitches. EMP-Centauri.
      and
      one of these:
      Stacker Destacker, 2 satellite outlets using 1 cable, 4 satellite points using 1 cable, 1 cable, Satellite Superstore UK, low prices

If you cannot do this DIY then you should get an independent installer to fit this as Sky won't go near this type of setup.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

You can run a Sky+HD box with one cable, but to get the full benefit you need two. Most installers use twin, or shotgun cable as it is known. Would it be possible to use the existing cable as a pull-through for the twin cable?

There is also the point of positioning the dish. This needs to be facing South. If the wall you want it on is otherwise, you may have difficulties. If it is North facing then it is a no no. Best thing to do is have a look around your area and see where the Sky dishes are pointing jn relation to your house.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi Tom,

I know if you have 2 coax you are running 2 feeds so you can record shows while watching something ... Maybe I can ask for the engineer to run single feed from the wall plate until i figure a different way.

I don't think the positioning of the dish will be an issue as few other houses on our street have a Sky dish.. Good point about the pull-through that might work and I might have to make a tiny bigger hole on the skirting board. But if that does not work I am stuck with both Sky and Virgin not working as the cable would had been pull out.

Will the engineer try the pull-though method or it is outside of their work? Do the wall plate has to be at a wall that is an external wall ?

Thank you all for your assistance , wife will kill me if I run cables in the house , especially now that we have a 6 month old crawling around

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      You could do this if you could get the twin satellite signals down your single cable.

To do the first you might need something like these:
      EMP-Centauri multiswitches, professional range. Satellite multiswitches. 5 input multiswitches. Powered multiswitches. 5X8, 5X12, 5X16 satellite multiswitches. EMP-Centauri.
      and
      one of these:
      Stacker Destacker, 2 satellite outlets using 1 cable, 4 satellite points using 1 cable, 1 cable, Satellite Superstore UK, low prices

If you cannot do this DIY then you should get an independent installer to fit this as Sky won't go near this type of setup.
      Interesting indeed ( the Stacker Destacker)... Maybe that is an option as well

Mario

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Will the engineer try the pull-though method or it is outside of their work? Do the wall plate has to be at a wall that is an external wall ?
      Unlikely to be honest. They are fairly restricted in what they can and can't do. For instance they will not go into a loft or drill through an internal wall. They like to drill a hole through an external wall and connect direct to the Box. It really depends on the installer you get, some will go all out to please you and others are just 'jobs worths'.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mazza77 View Post
      No this is to connect two dishes, pointing at different satellites, to one satellite receiver.
      Your problem is one shared with many people who live in pre-wired apartments where only one cable feeds the antenna connection face plate.
      In this situation the box can be set to single feed mode but this prevents the box from recording a programme on a different channel to the channel being watched.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mazza77 View Post
      The stacker/destacker on it's own should work if you just need the twin feed down a single cable. The Multiswitch is only really needed if you want to feed more than just that down the single cable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast