Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

NTE2000 with Data Extension and Sky Fibre

This is a discussion on NTE2000 with Data Extension and Sky Fibre within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, Am posting on behalf of my parents - way back when only 512kb Broadband was available and self ...

ARushmere is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

NTE2000 with Data Extension and Sky Fibre

Hi all,

Am posting on behalf of my parents - way back when only 512kb Broadband was available and self set-up wasn't an option, my parents had BT Broadband fitted by an engineer - he relocated the BT master socket into the loft (in a rather inaccessible part of the loft) and installed a BT NTE2000 socket with a data extension running into one of the bedrooms where the main PC is.
      The data extension they installed looks like this 30M NTE2000 ADSL Extension Kit

My parents have now signed upto Sky Fibre from one of their deals, but assumed that this would be a simple straight swap.

As I now live over 150 miles away, I am unable to assist with the upgrade to fibre, however from looking around on various forums, people have stated that the NTE2000 in principle should work without the need for any dongles provided (i.e. being a high/low pass filter)

They are yet to go live, but can anyone advise if they have experience with the NTE2000/data extension combo and upgrading to Fibre on the self install? i.e. will it work, or do they need to arrange an engineer to go into the loft and switch the socket to have the VDSL faceplate and run a new extension? (Also if it is just a straight swap to a VDSL faceplate - would the existing cabling in place for the data extension be used? or does a new cable need to be ran?) Or can they just use the dongles provided on the voice extensions and stop using the NTE2000 data extension?

Many thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: NTE2000 with Data Extension and Sky Fibre

You should swap the NTE2000 for the vDSL faceplate, the NTE2000 data extension kit used a CAT5 spec cable which should be OK for vDSL to be honest. If they don't have the original lower front half of the NTE5 they will need an NTE5 too. Swapping over would be very easy, they can either plug the RJ45 plug from the NTE2000 extension kit into the vDSL faceplate or chop the plug off & hard wire it (if there is enough slack). For the voice side they wouild just swap the connections like for like from the old NTE2000 to the new lower front of the NTE5.

The NTE2000 will work but it will not give the best connection possible despite what others say.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RUNITDIRECT For This Useful Post:

ARushmere (09-05-14)

ARushmere is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Many thanks for your quick reply - that's good news as I am not due to travel up for a few weeks and wouldn't want them to be without internet (albeit not at full speed until I swap the faceplate out) - will order the parts so I can swap them out the next time I am up there.

Thanks again

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

No problem. Note that DLM on fibre can take a few weeks to see any improvement in speed if you change things around.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RUNITDIRECT For This Useful Post:

ARushmere (09-05-14)