Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Bother with VDSL faceplate or not ?

This is a discussion on Bother with VDSL faceplate or not ? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; We just had our Sky fibre activated today and the hub is synced at the full 39998kbps (we took the ...

scobo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cowdenbeath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Bother with VDSL faceplate or not ?

We just had our Sky fibre activated today and the hub is synced at the full 39998kbps (we took the 38mb subscription).
      Am I right in thinking there would be no advantage in getting a VDSL faceplate if we're already synced at full speed and the connection stays stable ?
      I understand it would remove the need for a microfilter but I'm not too bothered about that, just wondered if there was any performance to be gained.
      I'm assuming they don't help with throughput issues resulting in loss of speed via wifi and homeplugs ??

2. Advertisement
      RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Bother with VDSL faceplate or not ?

Quote Originally Posted by scobo View Post
      I'm assuming they don't help with throughput issues resulting in loss of speed via wifi and homeplugs ??
      No.

I would still fit one if only to future proof for new speeds when available. I'm assuming you don't have any extensions?

I'd also say it it too early to say whether it would make a difference, fibre tends to connect at the fastest speed possible then drop as the line becomes stable. The vDSL faceplates have filters that can improve stability.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Sibling Chris is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

I'm in the same boat and just ordered one. Downstream connection is all but full but speed tests show I'm not getting that and it fluctuates quite a bit, and upload is only 6meg....BT checker reckons I should get better so thought I'd fit the vdsl plate to replace my adsl one (xte2005) and then take it from there....just ruling out one thing at a time

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

I've picked up a thread elsewhere where the OP was using an ADSL faceplate with Fibre. They are in the process of changing things so it will be around two weeks before we'll have a confirmed result.

Basically ADSL faceplates are fine for ADSL. FTTC or VDSL utilises a wider signal spectrum and you really do need a VDSL filtered faceplate.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.