Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Any Phone Wiring Experts....?

This is a discussion on Any Phone Wiring Experts....? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I have been having some line drops with the Sky BB , the speed is about 3500-4576kbps - I ...

Jack_155Q4 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bromley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Any Phone Wiring Experts....?

Hi, I have been having some line drops with the Sky BB, the speed is about 3500-4576kbps - I am on Max so not too good I guess.

The house has a slightly odd setup with the phone wires:

The main line comes in, it is then split off to a BT master socket and then to an old NTL master socket (I assume the components inside are the same).

In the BT master soctet, the main bit with the two screws are the blue and blue/white wires, and the the face plate that comes off has the orange and orange/white connected (plus another one I think, im not sure right now - but the green is diconnected.

In the NTL master, 1 set on wires come in from the main line spilt, the main bit with the two screws are the orange and orange/white wires.

On the face plate, there are two other sets of wires connected - not a part of the main wire above - the wires connected are orange, blue and blue/white - there are two of each and the lead off to two extensions - one of these extensions has the Sky BB plugged in - this is probable why I am getting poor speed and line drops.

What should I do? I dont really need the second master socket or one of the extensions so what is my best solution?

Im thinking to run from the main line split one cable all the way to where the Sky BB is plugged in now and fit another master soctet there (perhaps one of these ones with an ADSL filter built in:

http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/ca...products_id=90

If this is the best thing to do, how should I wire it? being that there is already another BT master socket on the line?

Many thanks, will reply ASAP but am away for a week.

Great forum btw! Cheers
      Jack
      Last edited by Jack_155Q4; 29-10-06 at 12:20 PM.

2. Advertisement
      vishal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kenton Road (LWKROA)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      im not a wiring expert, but have you tried your connection in the bt test socket to see what the connection is like, and if it is any more stable.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Replace your master socket faceplate with the filtered you have given a link to. This faceplate has IDC terminals which are filtered and unfiltered. Connect the extension you use for the router to the unfiltered connection on the back of the faceplate and the other extension to the filtered connections.

The new faceplate will come with instructions if you're worried what goes where. If not then make sure you make a note when disconnecting wires so you work out what was connected where.

Remember to buy a Krone tool (1) as this will be needed for the IDC terminals.

Thanks

Hi,

many thanks for the replies.

I have simplified the phone wiring now, got rid of an extension and tidied some wires, think I understand how it all works now.

I was still getting very slow browsing at times and after the slowness a line drop - this is in the test socket too.

I have reconnected it all properly in the normal face plate.

I now noticed it would connect for a while (an hour maybe) but then disconnect and keep on trying to reconnect unsuccessfully until I re-booted the router, then the same cycle again. The router log just showed that
      "LCP is Allowed to come up" over and over

After this, I called the technical support last night (impressed to see its a 24h service) and the guy said I am not too far from my exchange but the quality of the line between my house and exchange may give the problem - i.e too much data trying to be pumped down on the Max package and was causing the drop out - he changed me down to the Mid package and I will see if this improves anything.

Cheers
      Jack

Thanks

I dont think my area or house was cut out for ADSL, I cancelled it, the guy I phoned up didnt even question me or seem to care about why etc - gave me the return address and posted the router back.

Managed to negotiate with the untra reliable NTL a 4mb deal down from 25 for 12.49, so that where I will stay, glad I didnt cancel NTL while messing with Sky BB thats for sure!

Johnny7 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: High Wycombe (SMHY)
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Have a look at this.
      John in High Wycombe