Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help and advice on new Sky Fibre + Sky Talk Install

This is a discussion on Help and advice on new Sky Fibre + Sky Talk Install within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, it's been a while since I've been on here. I've recently moved and just had sky tv installed at ...

skotbites is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lofthouse Gate
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Hi, it's been a while since I've been on here.

I've recently moved and just had sky tv installed at my address and have an appointment for and engineer to come out next week to install fibre (BTO?)
      My problem/query is in my new living room I have one telephone style socket on the skirting board with 'Yorkshire Cable' printed on it. from unscrewing this and having a little look there appeared to be 3 main white wires in this 2 of which have been cut and the other I presume goes to to the upstairs bedroom.

There is a BT master socket type box on the livingroom window sill but there are no sockets to insert anything into. On further investigation it looks like the feed to this from outside the window has been cut presumable by whoever was in the house previously (there is a larger white 'Cable & Wireless' box in the main bedroom also.

When BTO come next week will they try and charge me for a non standard install? if so can i actually choose where they place the master socket? As Ideally in the office upstairs would be better.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Help and advice on new Sky Fibre + Sky Talk Install

Sky don't normally send out an engineer to install fibre now, its all done 'self install' I rather think the engineer will be coming to install the phone if you do not have an active one. If that is the case, the engineer will usually install it where you want, within reason. If you have paid extra for an engineer install, then I would think you will get 2 visits, one to put in the phone and another from the fibre engineer. BTO engineers work is very 'compartmented' so one engineer is unlikely to cover all.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I've had a look outside the house and there is a wire to the house from the telegraph pole but then once at the house the cable stops and you can see the clips where it once was.

I've paid 20 'New Phone Line Installation' and 2.18 'Broadband Hardware Postage'

Hopefully that covers it and I can have them fit the master socket in the spare room (office) where the router will be situated.

I can then change the face plate to a filtered one I presume.

Thanks

Hedgehog1979 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01506
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HDw box X2
      Thanks

Sky now have a service agreement with Openreach that during the original install the customer can ask for the socket to be installed anywhere and if Openreach say there will be extra charges these are charged to Sky but not passed onto the customer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks

I've paid 20 'New Phone Line Installation' and 2.18 'Broadband Hardware Postage'
      The postage is for the modem/router so you have self install, nothing to do with the phone engineer..

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The postage is for the modem/router so you have self install, nothing to do with the phone engineer..
      I understand that part and I'm sure it's not difficult.

I didn't want the engineer turning up next Wednesday and trying to charge us more or say they can't do it.

Cheers

Thanks

See if you can talk the engineer into fitting a BT iPlate. If he wont, then you should fit one yourself, its very easy and is much better than the plug in filters supplied by Sky. GENUINE BT NTE5 vDSL Filtered Faceplate|Openreach&#8482 Branded

TomD

Useful Utilites