Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NTE5 Faceplate not supported by SKY

This is a discussion on NTE5 Faceplate not supported by SKY within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My connection has been down for the last 2 hours, so I phoned Sky (got through to Belfast). They went ...

Puffthemagicdragon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chessington, LSCHES
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

NTE5 Faceplate not supported by SKY

My connection has been down for the last 2 hours, so I phoned Sky (got through to Belfast). They went through all the usual checks - reboot router, restart PC, recheck connections etc. Then they eventually asked me to check my microfilters.

I explained that I had a NTE5 faceplate so wasn't using filters, but was told that my ADSL wouldn't work without them, and they had never heard of a NTE5 faceplate. I was then escalated to a "superuser" who confirmed that my connection wouldn't work without filters and a NTE5 faceplate is not a SKY supported piece of equipment and should not be used.

They said they couldn't help me any further with my loss of connection problem and told me to ring back when I had removed the faceplate and installed filters.

Not a very helpful response - thanks Sky

2. Advertisement
      MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Just to nit-pick, an NTE5 is a standard faceplate, the NTE2000 is the faceplate with a filter included.

Both can be unscrewed and removed to reveal the BT test socket. It's always worth doing this and trying a different filter 'just in case'.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Well I think Sky should suggest the new faceplate as a first resort to problems on a line. Once fitted the stability (for me anyway) has been superb.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Puffthemagicdragon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chessington, LSCHES
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

A new faceplate (recommended on here) fixed all my initial problems too, and increased my speed. I can't believe Sky wan't me to take it off.

In hindsight I wish I hadn't mentioned it to them.

spike7451 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Donaghadee
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Thanks
      A NTE5 is'nt the faceplate,it's the model of the Master socket (NTL one is a CTE5) & you do need micro filters fitted to them UNLESS you have replaced the extension plate with a built in filter.The are 3 Tech support centers in N.Ireland,2 in Belfast & 1 in Londonderry.The NTE5/CTE5 is known as the Mastersocket to 90% of the tech support agents,I know the difference because I'm a telecomms engineer by trade & I know phone systems.It sound's like they wanted you to connect to the test socket behind the faceplate & not remove it at all.

The Doctor is offline Skyuser Member
      Exchange: SSNOR
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      And we cannot suggest faceplates etc, as this would be outwith our support boundaries and as such we would be liable if you caused damage installing one because we told you to. make senese? lol

hell tier1 are not even meant to be able to tell you to remove dial up settings and that if u balls something up bad do a system restore, realy takes the biscuit

adslnation is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Headington, Oxford
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Just shows a lack of understanding on Sky's part but as said by others NTE-5 is the code for the BT master socket not the filtered faceplate. A filtered faceplate is exactly the same as a microfilter it is just designed to neatly fit the front of the master socket.

The thing to do is always keep a spare microfilter so that if you have any difficulties you can remove the faceplate and plug the microfilter into the test socket to test your line. Then there is little Sky can say if it still doesn't work.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: NTE5 Faceplate not supported by SKY

Applogies for posting in an old thread but this one came to my attention via a customer who had found your forums.

The NTE5(A) is the latest versio of the BT Master Socket, it features a new filter on the bell wire circuit:-

BT Socket, Master, NTE5 Type

Legally speaking you are not supposed to replace the master socket.

The ADSL faceplate that is made by Pressac UK is designed to replace the lower half of the NTE5, this part IS designed to be fitted by the CUSTOMER. We sell two versions of the faceplate, 3 way :-

BT ADSL Faceplate for NTE5 Linebox

and 6 way :-

BT ADSL Faceplate for NTE5 Linebox, 6 Way Version

The difference between the two? The 6 way version allows an unfiltered extension to be fitted(so you can have your modem/router plugged in away from the master socket location) but still have a centralised filter for any other extensions.

The CTE5 is made by Austin Taylor.

If this post breaks forum rules then please feel free to delete it, if anyone has any queries please feel free to contact us-we are here to help!
      We sell hundreds of these faceplates and are always on hand to help with any tech queries or problems you may have.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

How about offering SkyUser members a discount if they buy it from you?
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      How about offering SkyUser members a discount if they buy it from you?
      Do you organise group buys on here? If you do then that is something we can certainly look into, the margins are tight on the products we sell as they are genuine UK as supplied to BT. You may see them cheaper on eBay but these will be BT engineers selling stock that isn't theirs to sell! If you'd like to see what the interest would be we can look at what deals we could offer members. Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)