Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Identifying Internal Problem

This is a discussion on Identifying Internal Problem within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Hoping someone might be able to point me in the direction of how to identify internal cabling issues as ...

steveb255 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Glossop
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Identifying Internal Problem

Hi,

Hoping someone might be able to point me in the direction of how to identify internal cabling issues as my internet connection speed has dramatically reduced over the past couple of weeks.

I'm on the Sky Broadband Unlimited package for about 8 years and for the past 12 - 18 months I've had a steady and reliable download speed of about 16Mb which I believe is the maximum for where we live.

About 2 weeks that speed dropped to approx 3.6Mb. I thought it might have been DLM kicking in (as it sometimes does) and would go back up - it didn't so I started to do some troubleshooting.

My Sagem router is located in my office upstairs and plugged into an ADSL Nation pre-filtered extension socket, so first thing was to plug into the test socket and wouldn't you know it, I got 16Mb download. So internal cabling issue sprang to mind.

I isolated everything off the internal network so there was just my workstation connected via ethernet and the router ADSL cable (still into the test socket) and this time got 13Mb.

I'm currently back to having the router plugged into the extension socket (as can't leave cables trailing with 2 young kids in house) and this is what I'm getting....

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2905 kbps 442 kbps
      Line Attenuation 42.0 dB 48.0 dB
      Noise Margin 7.0 dB 7.0 dB

Nothing at all has changed with any of the internal cabling, network or sockets. I checked the wiring to the face plates and they are all as they should be. BT line comes in at front door where the NTE-5 is located, an extension runs outside into the lounge where there is a socket (unused) and then from there outside again up into the office. Each of the extension sockets have ADSLNation pre-filtered faceplates as does the NTE-5.

The internal cabling and network has been working great for the past 3+ years.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can go about troubleshooting where the problem might be on the internal cabling?

Thanks in advance

Steve

2. Advertisement
      tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Re: Identifying Internal Problem

most likely cabling its self has deteriorated and is not carrying bb signal so would be 1 of your 2 extensions causing this try connecting router at unused point first

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Each of the extension sockets have ADSLNation pre-filtered faceplates as does the NTE-5.
      Have you taken the wires to the extensions from the AB terminals on the faceplate, not the 2 and 5 terminals. If you have taken them from the 2/3 terminals then you are double filtering and will be lucky to get any ADSL at all.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

First things first, do you get dial tone at each of the sockets? It's unlikely the cabling is at fault unless it has been damaged or one of the wires has come off (in which case you won't get dial tone & you will see a big speed drop as you have). More likely is the faceplate(s) themselves, the ADSL Nation design uses transistors which can fail.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

Thanks for your help all

@IsItme - Yes, the wires to the extensions go from A & B. The internal cabling\faceplate's etc haven't been touched for a long time and I've been happily getting ~13Mb download until recently.

@RUNITDIRECT - good shout on testing for a dial tone. I just plugged a phone into the socket upstairs and there is no tone. However, its an old phone that hardly gets used and has recently been used as a bouncy ball for our 12 month old. So cannot guarantee if its the phone or the line. Will get a working phone to see for definite.

The first of the two extension sockets on the cabling is in the lounge and is actually unused but its behind a unit where there is lots other cabling, power extensions etc so there is a slight possibility the socket might have been disturbed which I will check.

Thanks again.

Steve

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just try the phone you have in the known working socket No DT means a loose or broken wire (or duff faceplate!).

Thanks

OK, after much annoyance to the wife and kids, I think I have tracked down the fault - I think it is the cable between extension socket 1 and extension socket 2.

The phone works OK in test socket, main socket and extension 1 - I get a dial tone and I can ring in.

In extension 2, I get no dial tone and I cannot ring in.

To rule out face plate failure, I switched over the face plates of extension socket 1 and 2 - 1 works OK, 2 does not.

I've done a visual check of the cable from socket 1 to socket 2 and of the cable that I can see (some of it is covered in the brickwork outside) it all looks perfectly intact and unbroken.

Before I start hatching plans to recable, based on my troubleshooting so far do you think it could be anything else? Should I check anything else?

Final question, how easy is it to cable from where the line comes into the house to an extension? Basically I'm thinking as socket 1 is unused, I might as well just go from where the line comes in up to my office. Is it straight forward? Do I need any special crimping tools and\or connectors?

[UPDATE] the current extension cable starts outside the house, they don't come in to the NTE-5, they are crimped directly to the incoming line

[UPDATE 2] Just looked at the face plate wiring, this is what I have got.....

Main with XTE-2005 = A: Green B: Green&White
      Extension 1 (XTF-68/85) = 5: White x 2 2: Orange
      Extension 2 (XTF-68/85) = 5: White 2: Orange

Thanks for your assistance

Steve
      Last edited by steveb255; 02-09-13 at 08:41 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

If the cable is at fault try switching the pairs, CW1308 is at least 2 pair so you always have a spare. On a side note your wiring is not ideal, you should have all sockets wired back to the NTE5 so filtering is carried out by the XTE, only the extension with the router on needs to be wired to the A & B connections on the faceplate. If one socket is not used any more now may be a good time to rewire the setup anyway if practical.

Thanks

I have implemented a temporary fix for the moment.

I've re-routed the cabling that went to extension socket 1 so that it goes straight to the extension socket in my upstairs bedroom (office). I've had to use 2 sections of cable with a join in the middle which I know isn't ideal and will be replaced with a full length of cable as soon as possible. The only issue I have with that is I will need to crimp to the incoming BT line which I'm not sure about doing. Any suggestions?

Current speed in the upstairs room is....

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 16380 kbps 1023 kbps
      Line Attenuation 24.0 dB 14.0 dB
      Noise Margin 6.3 dB 15.7 dB

....which is much better than the 2Mb I was getting.

Thanks again for your help and advice, its much appreciated

Steve

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If you are connecting direct to the line you should be connecting through an NTE5, the xtf you are using is not suitable for direct connection. If you intend making it permanent you should fit an NTE5. May be Dave will offer further advice, but personally I think you should be connecting through a junction box and not crimping to the line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast